Meeting current students pre-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcm810

Reaction score
I received an interview for a school whose website is a bit sparse. I want to learn more specifics about the school and was thinking of trying to get in touch with current students who might be willing to chat. None have dropped in on the school specific thread, so would it seem insane if I tried to randomly email students? Any other tips for how to get more familiar with the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview for a school whose website is a bit sparse. I want to learn more specifics about the school and was thinking of trying to get in touch with current students who might be willing to chat. None have dropped in on the school specific thread, so would it seem insane if I tried to randomly email students? Any other tips for how to get more familiar with the school?
Maybe go back to the school,specific thread and ask why people have selected that school,for attendance. Call the admissions office and ask to be put into contact with current students. @Mr.Smile12 do you have any ways of reaching out to current students?

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe go back to the school,specific thread and ask why people have selected that school,for attendance. Call the admissions office and ask to be put into contact with current students. @Mr.Smile12 do you have any ways of reaching out to current students?
@candbgirl is right.

For everyone else who mentors prehealth applicants, memo this:
1) School-specific thread (including historical threads from past cycles) as well as a search through X vs. Y forums. Include any possible individuals who graduated (so you could go back 7 years).
2) Admissions office should have students as admissions ambassadors to connect you. They should be omnipresent at recruitment open houses and maybe on social media takeovers (IG, TT, Tw) or virtual fairs.
3) Student orgs like AMSA, SNMA, LMSA have national websites and should have a list of regional and chapter officers and advisors.
4) If you are in school, your prehealth advisor (undergrad or postbac) should know people who got into the school.
5) If you are adept, LinkedIn. I'm not a fan of connecting via SM, but some students are finding ways to pay off utility bills or Board prep by running monetizing YouTube/IG channels. (/old guy mode)

Reactions: 4 users
Please don’t start cold emailing or FB/insta DM random med students. It’s weird and med students are really busy.

Now if someone has posted on here, on FB, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc that they would be happy to answer questions or the school has given you their info as ambassadors, then feel free.

Reactions: 3 users