Current Ireland Med School Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fathead Minnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have or know of any current or past students who obtained a Master's in Science before entry into med school? Does it provide any advantage over say non-graduate applicants. If so, is the advantage small? Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

FHM

Members don't see this ad.

Many people have Masters or even PhDs before entering here. I'm not sure how much it helps, but it does help because it adds to the diversity (through experience) which some schools like to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, many have advanced degrees and have worked in the medical field for some years. Personally, I don't think it offers a significant advantage.

I have a M.Sc. in biochemistry, worked in research, and taught/supervised at the university level. A friend of mine has a M.Sc. and was an EMT. Another classmate was/is a full-fledge paramedic who can dispense medication etc. A wide range of experiences here.

Very interesting... looks as if experience goes a long way.... so what is the average age of the students in these Irish med schools considering many of them have worked and/or obtained graduate degrees?

Cheers,

FHM

Hi Minnow,

I doubt anybody has that type of information (maybe the ABP office) but it seems like more graduate/mature students study at UCC than the other schools (from what I've gathered).

It could be that they prefer older applicants, or because fewer total applicants apply there (that's what I've heard, since it's not in Dublin).

Most won't have post-graduate training. There are a few North Americans that come straight from high school but the majority finish an undergraduate degree only. There are even a few Irish students that have obtained a degree and are starting medical school just like us. I'd say the average age (discounting Malaysians and Irish students) is probably 24.

Yeah, not including the Irish students. If you include them, the average age is like 12.

Yeah, not including the Irish students. If you include them, the average age is like 12.
But even their 12 year olds can out drink most of us :D :D :D Sometimes the Irish graduates do act like 12 year olds anyway ... first time away from home and with "no responsibilities".

BTW and for the purposes of this thread, my qualifications to date:
MB, BCh, BAO, MSc, BSc(Hons), BA

But even their 12 year olds can out drink most of us :D :D :D Sometimes the Irish graduates do act like 12 year olds anyway ... first time away from home and with "no responsibilities".

BTW and for the purposes of this thread, my qualifications to date:
MB, BCh, BAO, MSc, BSc(Hons), BA

That's a lot of letters after your name, pattycanuck :p

Did you do a MSc before entering med school? How about that BA?

:)

That's a lot of letters after your name, pattycanuck :p

Did you do a MSc before entering med school? How about that BA?

:)

Patty has yet to respond, so I'll do it for him... (we go way back)

BA, MSc before med school -- he used to serve as an anatomy tutor for the medical students.

MB, BCh, BAO = US MD

Mick

Ah, that's really cool, thanks. I think what I was really asking about was the two Bachelor's...

Actually everyone in our foundation year is 18 years old, so we are not that young. But yeah they sure can drink :cool:

Yes, it was an exaggeration. That's what hyperbole is: an obvious, intentional exaggeration not intended to be taken literally.

Patty has yet to respond, so I'll do it for him... (we go way back)

BA, MSc before med school -- he used to serve as an anatomy tutor for the medical students.

MB, BCh, BAO = US MD

Mick
BTW, Mick has degrees in social interactions with many of the opposite sex on both sides of the Atlantic (LOL) ... too bad he's retired ... :D :D :D

BTW:
BA - Economics
BSc(Hons) - Life Sciences (basic med subjects)
MSc - Anatomy and Cell Biology

Yes mick. MBBchBAO = MD. When you start doing your clinical rotations in the US, you will see Dr. xxxx xxxx, MD on their white coats. But caveat - do NOT list the MD title when applying for USMLE exams - list your MBBChBAO. Otherwise the ECFMG will send it back to you and make you do it again, thus delaying your application to take the USMLE.

Since MBBChBAO is equal to the US MD, what would the Irish/UK MD compare with, in the US. A Ph.D in Medicine?

basically, yeah. there's no real PhD in medicine in the US because that's too broad, but it's the same idea. getting your MD and then deciding you want to do research in a specialty so then going on to do a PhD.