Current KCOM students???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranialpressure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books do I absolutely need for first year and which ones can I do without?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, my opinion on books is I don't buy anything until I find I need the book, and then I go over and buy it at that point.

This is what I bought my first year.
Anatomy: Netter(or Clemente), Moore, Grant's disector

Histology: The light blue book, and embryology book.

Biochem: Nothing(I had an undergrad, "The Cell".)
OTM: Kimberly manual.
Phys: Nothing

Agreed! You will receive very comprehensive, from most of the faculty, note packs for each daily lecture. Focus your efforts there! The next step...purchase board review style books, I used the "Board Review Series", and use them as textbooks. If you cover these resources well...you'll do well in your classes.

You will learn that reading the required textbooks, ESPECIALLY FOM, is the most low-yield waste of your time. This works in the Ugrad world -- it will not work in med school.

Also, if KCOM still has them, buy an old test file!!! I would recommend purchasing one from an individual as they are generally more up to date and much much more well organized! Do not simply try to memorize the questions & answers...a waste of time! However, if you go through the question and "discover" why each answer is correct/incorrect, you will gain a huge amount of knowledge. Also, to conserve effort in writing exam questions, you will quickly discover that with subtle/not to subtle changes in the oringinal question, many of the offered choices can be made "correct"...study from this perspective as well.