Current LMSW wanting to pursue research career, should I continue working towards my LCSW or focus on getting into the PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartbreaker0987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have my MSW and currently working as a therapist in non-profit getting my hours towards my LCSW. I primarily work with refugees.

I loved doing research in my undergrad and masters and did pretty well in both of my dissertation/theses. There are lot of things related to the work I do now that I would love conduct clinical research on, I would love to work as clinician-researcher.

I haven't really seen any Social Work PhDs conducting the kind of research that I'm interested in and getting a PsyD doesn't make sense for me so I'm focused on Counseling/Clinical Psych PhDs.

However, my last research experience was during my masters and neither my degrees were in psychology (BSc Biology then Masters of Social Work). I've been applying to paid research positions with no luck so far and I've started emailing PIs with similar research interests which looks promising so far.

However, my questions are:
  1. Should I bother to continue working towards my LCSW if I plan to get the Psych PhD?
  2. If I can't get a full time research position, will volunteer research while working clinically put me at a disadvantage for PhD admissions?
It seems a shame since I've already started accruing my hours but it seems like getting a full time research position would best increase my chances.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Ultimately, do you see yourself as a PI conducting clinical research somewhere? If the answer is yes, it might make sense to do a clinical/counseling Ph.D. Note that you'll also have to start over with the clinical component, which includes matching to an APA-accredited internship and then applying to postdocs. For research, postdoc might be longer than if you just did straight clinical. So just be sure you want it, because it's a long road ahead of you.

Should I bother to continue working towards my LCSW if I plan to get the Psych PhD?

Generally, I think it's wise to have a backup option so I would in your position.

If I can't get a full time research position, will volunteer research while working clinically put me at a disadvantage for PhD admissions?

I can't think of why it would be disadvantageous though you should see what opportunities there are to engage in research activities like presenting a poster or being a minor co-author.

Reactions: 1 user
There are lot of things related to the work I do now that I would love conduct clinical research on, I would love to work as clinician-researcher.
Realistically, most people end up primarily as clinicians or primarily as researchers.

Some clinicians can carve out 10-30% of their time for research, especially if they can secure outside finding to buy out their clinical time but even then, 4-12 hours a week is not a ton of time so you're either faced with projects moving very slowly or spending free/unpaid time to work on research, along with your clinical duties (which works for some people).

A full time research role where you also maintain a part time private practice (or have a few dedicated hours doing some very specific clinical work at your institution) would be ideal but those jobs can be very competitive and even if you do everything within your control, you might finding yourself with a PhD and even a completed research postdoc but possibly without a good job, especially if you have or will have geographic restrictions.

Given your interest in research, it probably makes sense to pursue a PhD. But take some time to try to map out your future because even if you're competitive for a PhD, it's not necessarily the best path for everybody. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users