Current MSTP students applying to NIH-OxCam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Music Therapy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who's currently in an MD/PhD program is applying for the NIH-OxCam program, or is planning to or have thought of applying. I will be starting MS1 this Fall (not sure where I will end up- still making my final decisions), and missed the deadline to apply to the NIH-GPP and NIH-OxCam programs, so I was wondering if one can apply 'internally' once in the program (during MS1 or MS2).

Also, if this is possible, is it only possible through an MSTP-funded program? I did find a list of MSTP schools that fund OxCam, but wasn't sure if they allow internal transfers as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Music Therapy,

I am currently a student in the OxCam program and I am what they call a track 1 student (I applied to MSTP programs and OxCam at the same time and entered into both programs right off the bat). What you are asking about is called a Track 2 applicant. From my understanding, this option allows students currently enrolled in an MD program or MSTP who are in their 1st or 2nd years of medical school the opportunity to apply to OxCam. You just need to be sure to apply as a Track 2 applicant and not a Track 1 applicant as the interview pool is different. Also, luckily for you, the program lumps together Track 2 applicants and the PhD-only applicants. Generally there are 12-15 spots for students in these tracks, whereas track 1 applicants are competing for only 4 spots!

In regards to funding, it would be beneficial if your medical school supports the OxCam program. If for some reason it does not, you can still enroll in the OxCam program, but your medical school tuition would not be fully covered (it is possible though that a portion of it may be supplemented by NIH GPP funds, but I think it is handled on a school to school basis.). However the NIH has a really great loan repayment program for people who work in a basic science lab.

For funding types of questions though it would be best to contact Craig Blackstone at the NIH who is the director of the MD/PhD partnership program. He will know far more than I do.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions! But definitely apply if you are interested in the program! It has been pretty amazing so far!

However the NIH has a really great loan repayment program for people who work in a basic science lab.

:eyebrow: Hate to be a stickler, but the NIH LRP is a dicey proposition that I hardly call really great. See: http://www.lrp.nih.gov/about_the_programs/index.aspx. You have to assume your grant will get funded, and that your research falls into one of their five LRP areas:

Clinical Research
Pediatric Research
Health Disparities Research
Contraception and Infertility Research
Clinical Research for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds

While I find this the strangest list of research topics ever, nowhere on there does it imply basic science lab. I'd be interested if you have another resource that I'm unaware of.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eyebrow: Hate to be a stickler, but the NIH LRP is a dicey proposition that I hardly call really great. See: http://www.lrp.nih.gov/about_the_programs/index.aspx. You have to assume your grant will get funded, and that your research falls into one of their five LRP areas:

Clinical Research
Pediatric Research
Health Disparities Research
Contraception and Infertility Research
Clinical Research for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds

While I find this the strangest list of research topics ever, nowhere on there does it imply basic science lab. I'd be interested if you have another resource that I'm unaware of.

I do not know very much about the LRP, but the OxCam folks seem to think it is an option... Maybe they have some way around it or perhaps assume you'd work at the NIH for a few years as a fellow... But like I said, contacting Craig Blackstone would be the best bet for funding questions! It is all far too confusing. I only understand the details on a surface level. Someone somewhere is giving me money, haha... so I kinda just roll with it.

From the MD/PhD partnership webpage...

"Students obtaining their Ph.D. at the NIH can attend any medical school. However, only those accepted to U.S. MD/PhD programs receiving funding from the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) are eligible to receive central funding for the medical school phase of training which is administered through the MSTP. Not all MSTP-funded institutions accept NIH MD/PhD Partnership funding, and some are not currently able to supplement the funds we provide, which are capped at $21,000 for tuition and a similar amount for stipend support. This can generate a financial obligation for the remaining tuition, which can be up to $25,000 per year. Financial aid from the medical school may be available to cover all or part of this amount. Those incurring financial obligations during medical school are eligible for the NIH loan repayment program which can repay up to $35,000 per year of medical school debt. In addition, a number of NIH institutes participate in the F30 individual Medical Scientist Training award program. Recipients can apply these funds to any U.S. medical school."

That was where I was basing my LRP is good statement on... may be a bit misleading though. Still would be more cost effective to do the NIH GPP program and get $21,000 towards the med school years than take out loans for all four years though.

Still would be more cost effective to do the NIH GPP program and get $21,000 towards the med school years than take out loans for all four years though.

Thank you for the clarification. More information is good information.

Half tuition scholarship is better than no tuition scholarship. I'm just not a believer in doing MD/PhD unless it is fully-funded (i.e. full scholarship and tuition stipend for all years of the program). But that's just my opinion. Few medical schools support OxCam on track 1, and even fewer on track 2, but it's worth a shot if it's an option for you.

I bring up the LRP just because a number of people tend to bring it up as a funding option. I always advise people not to rely on the LRP for a number of reasons, the largest of which is that it seems to be geared towards clinical research and does not even seem to cover basic scientists. Other concerns include the competitive nature of NIH grants including LRP support and the possibility of not existing 15 years from now.