MSTP WAMC 4.0/526

Started by LRSolar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm filling out my secondaries and just want to get some advice on my application

Grades:
cGPA and sGPA are both 4.0
MCAT: 526, 132/130/132/132

Demographics:
NY Resident
ORM, White/Asian mixed
Undergraduate at UNC, currently a rising senior (I'm 20 y/o)

All Activities:
Clinical
200 Hours - Volunteering on the Nursing Unit, patient-facing and lots of patient experiences for essays, etc.
100 Hours - Shadowing in Hemepath, Surgical path and GI

Research
600 Hours - Research at the US EPA. Manuscript in progress (delays due to government issues). Published 2nd author in a textbook section written in this lab.
400 Hours - Bioinformatics summer internship.
500 Hours - Research in a lab at UNC. Presented at an international conference.
250 Hours - Research at Hospital. Manuscript in progress.
1000 Hours - Research with mentor since HS. Two first author papers with one more that is under-review. Two preprints and a international abstract accepted.

Other Things
250 Hours - Undergraduate Learning Assistant
500 Hours - Work in a leadership position giving education and mentorship to underserved youth in the community.
200 Hours - Volunteering in community outreach to middle school kids in the community, bridging the gap to higher education
100 Hours - Math Club
100 Hours - eSports Club

I also won a $4000 scholarship from the Chemistry department at my school.

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Baylor
Columbia
Hofstra
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Icahn
Mayo
NYU
NYU LI
Stony Brook
Downstate
Upstate
UCF
UChicago
UMiami
UNC
Rochester
UVA
Wake Forest
Cornell
Yale

NOTE: All schools that have MD-PhD on that list I am applying to as MD-PhD. I want to stay at around 25 schools, so let me know if anyone has recommendations for additions/removals. Any advice with my application would be appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to include I have 5 LoRs. My PI that I started working with in high school, my current PI (who is an MD), two science professors where I was a learning assistant for their class, and my employer for the leadership position.
 
Mixture of competitiveness. See my standard advice (AAMC Facts table, particularly B-8). I understand your geography, but do you understand how strong those schools are within your area of interest (see SOMs Department Funding for your area (or the NIH Institute). Some of your programs have only a couple of slots per year, while other are mega-programs. NYU downsize/almost closed its MD/PhD program rather than renewing it. I don't see Penn, a good all-around program. If you are applying to Baylor, why not the other 3 TX MSTPs? It's only in AMCAS, they all are looking for best students (unlike their MD-programs which need 90% TX residents) and at least one of these 3 doesn't have a $econdary. Again, depends upon your area of research interest... PM me if needed.
 
I'll also mention that, from the MD-screening side of the house, the clinical experience looks light. I know OP is not giving identifying details, but I'm a bit worried that the number of patient-centered, health-system hours is too low to convince some clinical adcoms that you understand the MD side of training at many of the desired programs listed.
 
I'll also mention that, from the MD-screening side of the house, the clinical experience looks light. I know OP is not giving identifying details, but I'm a bit worried that the number of patient-centered, health-system hours is too low to convince some clinical adcoms that you understand the MD side of training at many of the desired programs listed.
Most MSTP admission committees would not be as concerned with your clinical hours as long as you can clearly articulate understanding of disease, empathy for the patient experience, and have a letter from a clinician (preferably a physician-scientist).