Current NOVA southeastern University Optometry Student Input vs. other schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunOpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How has your time been there, what you like and dont like about the school. Is it easy, do people really get kicked out just for failing one exam(ie anatomy lol).... How has it been overall as an opt student at NSU?

Thanks a lot for all your comments everyone!:)

Members don't see this ad.

why are ppl making a bigger deal about NOVA than the new schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Click on the link posted by Moptometry above and you can get more info about NOVA. Overall I think it's a good school for me. I don't attend other schools so I can't compare it with others. You just have to study that's all. I am a 2nd year, for our ocular disease and one of the optometric methods class we have to do short answer essay as in the Dr. give you a case scenario and you answer with a diagnose and treatment for that disease. Also, Ocular disease had MULTIPLE MULTIPLE choice question as in you have to BUBBLE IN ALL the correct answers (can't be undertreat or overtreat the patient) and I think that's pretty tough because you can't guess or play the elimination game, you really have to know your disease stuff. Besides that all classes are in multiple choice, T/F form. I think Pharmacology was pretty challenging because we have to memorize about 150 drugs for each test along with their indications, mechanisms, side effects, contraindications, etc.

Lots of externship sites to choose from. There is a huge hispanic population down here and you get to see many uncontrol diabetic retinopathy, etc because patients usually follow their own custom/traditional methods to cure their diseases instead of western medicine methods so it's outrages sometimes.

I think the only thing at NOVA that scare applicant is the "kick out" rate. Class of 2012, everyone passed their 2nd year (no one get kick out, some people failed ocular disease and pharmacology but they all passed the RETAKE so they didn't get kick out). I am telling all applicants for the last time: If you study you will NOT fail. It is REALLY REALLY HARD to fail a class here unless you don't study. You probably have to memorize about 100 pages of notes for certain test and every words on there are fair games but I think every graduate school is the same.

Take the challenge and if you can graduate you are good to go.

Good luck.

P.S. HunOpt: you status says you are pre-dental then why are you asking an optometry student?

HunOpt is a friend of mine and trust me he can memorize 60 pages, given enough time. Hes just too worried for some reason. I have told him NOVA is great. He just needs to listen. Ps.Thanks
Mrseyedoctor. Sounds like Optom school is nothing like Undergrad.

Thanks for the reply Eyedoctor.
Thanks MO! :)

you're welcome.

Yeah, graduate school is nothing like undergraduate. >22 credit hours (11 different classes) per semester (4months) and 2-3 tests per week so lots of studying and you have to be very committed. Can't afford to fail a single test; moreover, you have to memorize or learn the materials in a short period of time. You guys can do it. Take care

Sorry Physiclover.. miscount this semester we've 10 different classes/labs = 22.5 credit hours..