Current open PGY1 psychiatry positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etesvouspret

Reaction score
US MD graduate (May 2023), not currently in a residency, searching for open PGY1 psychiatry position, willing & able to move anywhere and start ASAP. If you have any advice to offer I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of an open PGY-1 in psych. None on that list either. Maybe prelim or transitional? Not sure what advice to give you. Definitely would recommend fluffing the CV and planning to re-enter the match whenever you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Never heard of an open PGY-1 in psych. None on that list either. Maybe prelim or transitional? Not sure what advice to give you.
I wasn't 100% sure if this had PGY-1 spots or not. Possibly residentswap has some, but I don't think there are many open positions at this point.

Never heard of an open PGY-1 in psych. None on that list either. Maybe prelim or transitional? Not sure what advice to give you. Definitely would recommend fluffing the CV and planning to re-enter the match whenever you can.
Not sure if re-entering the match this year is worth it but I might go for it anyway. Timing is not great for my situation but I'm we'll see. Fluffing the CV in the meantime, also a lot of networking

Honestly, I have opened my applications twice since this race began, and I was reaffirmed that no one who isn't off the blocks when the gun goes off almost always have problems in their record. You can pour on all kinds of criticism on me for saying this, but time has value and weighing through the caff after the start reinforces my belief that the few that are late to the party are without issues those that are not few and far in between. If you have something less than good, procrastination will not help you.

The number of applicants is 2 orders of magnitude higher than available positions. The number of interviews is roughly one order of magnitude in the number of applications. Getting in is measured at the ground level thank goodness. This isn't ideal, but it only takes some money and a mouse click to apply so here we are. Other hyper competitive specialties have smartly quadrupled the number of signals so that they only interview applicants who signal them. I have commented that we should have an expediential cost for applying, but this would favor the more fortunately recourced. I think the signalling solution can be a brilliant solution to protect the NMPR from being sued for monopolizing and bias while not killing us with volume. Not sure if anyone is listening.... My guess is that no one is. Hello, this is good. ERAS, NRMP, ACGME, ABPN?

2 orders of magnitude seems...hyperbolic? I don't think there are 100x more applicants than psychiatry resident positions. Maybe residencies offer 10 interviews for each spot, but even that seems a bit high?

2 orders of magnitude seems...hyperbolic? I don't think there are 100x more applicants than psychiatry resident positions. Maybe residencies offer 10 interviews for each spot, but even that seems a bit high?
I think he means for each individual residency, not for all of them as a whole. That is, there aren't hundreds of thousands of applicants for the thousands of spots across the country, but a program with ten spots might expect to have on the order of a thousand applicants for those spots.

N=1, but our program gets 143 applicants per slot applying, we interview 14.3 per position. It has seemed about right for the last 3 decade and we are not unusual in any measure.

It is a competitive field and we need to fill and you need to match, so Say la vie. FYI, I literally used my computer's calculator to give me these numbers and they were exactly an order of magnitude appart just by chance after rounding to the nearest person and nearest tenth of a person respectively.