Seeking advice: psychiatry residency PGY4 open positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillwatersrundeep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know of any resources for finding open PGY4 psychiatry residency spots. For example, if a program has multiple people fast-track to child. Or any open positions available.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I wish my residency had done this. If we had too many people fast track, the remainder (or more junior residents in a very popular year) just sucked it up. I didn't know anywhere did this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I wish my residency had done this. If we had too many people fast track, the remainder (or more junior residents in a very popular year) just sucked it up. I didn't know anywhere did this.
Here's a hot take. We don't need a 4th year in psychiatry. They should just have that extra year for the fellowships, or two extra years for child.

I rest my case.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of exactly zero programs who will take on a PGY-IV because they lose PGY-IVS to fast tracking child residents. Most PGY-IV programs like the extra office space and don't miss the residents who are doing mostly electives. I would be hard pressed to take a PGY-IV who I barely trained and graduate them. It just doesn't add up.

Our PD recently noted that ACGME approves residencies on total complement, not PGY year, i.e., if 2 residents left for fast track the program could fill those two spots with a PGY2 and a PGY3 if they wanted to.

I know of exactly zero programs who will take on a PGY-IV because they lose PGY-IVS to fast tracking child residents. Most PGY-IV programs like the extra office space and don't miss the residents who are doing mostly electives. I would be hard pressed to take a PGY-IV who I barely trained and graduate them. It just doesn't add up.
While I agree that it doesn't make sense, even APA's listing for open positions contains multiple programs currently looking to fill PGY-4 spots.

Definitely agree that psych residency is too long. It's an indentured servitude thing however and thus I don't think there's any systemic desire for change. It would make PGY-1's and 2's dramatically less valuable to the system.