Seeking advice: psychiatry residency PGY4 open positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stillwatersrundeep

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. Does anyone know of any resources for finding open PGY4 psychiatry residency spots. For example, if a program has multiple people fast-track to child. Or any open positions available.
 
Wow I wish my residency had done this. If we had too many people fast track, the remainder (or more junior residents in a very popular year) just sucked it up. I didn't know anywhere did this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow I wish my residency had done this. If we had too many people fast track, the remainder (or more junior residents in a very popular year) just sucked it up. I didn't know anywhere did this.
Here's a hot take. We don't need a 4th year in psychiatry. They should just have that extra year for the fellowships, or two extra years for child.

I rest my case.
 
I know of exactly zero programs who will take on a PGY-IV because they lose PGY-IVS to fast tracking child residents. Most PGY-IV programs like the extra office space and don't miss the residents who are doing mostly electives. I would be hard pressed to take a PGY-IV who I barely trained and graduate them. It just doesn't add up.
 
I know of exactly zero programs who will take on a PGY-IV because they lose PGY-IVS to fast tracking child residents. Most PGY-IV programs like the extra office space and don't miss the residents who are doing mostly electives. I would be hard pressed to take a PGY-IV who I barely trained and graduate them. It just doesn't add up.
While I agree that it doesn't make sense, even APA's listing for open positions contains multiple programs currently looking to fill PGY-4 spots.
 
Definitely agree that psych residency is too long. It's an indentured servitude thing however and thus I don't think there's any systemic desire for change. It would make PGY-1's and 2's dramatically less valuable to the system.