Employment & Professional Networking Current OT's.. Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTinthemaking22

Reaction score
I spent the year ensuring that I would get into an OT program, the field of OT fit my personal and professional goals. I got into a program, but started getting "jitters". I heavily researched the field and came across things like... high productivity standards, no salary growth, saturated field with difficulty in finding work, disrespect in the workforce, and theory based schooling. I have no idea how much weight to put on topics like this, especially when they are coming from Indeed.com forums and other internet sources. I am looking at 95K combined undergrad and graduate debt combined if I pursue this field. Can anyone share their stories and experiences in the field/debt and if it was worth it? If you could rewind the clock, would you have done anything differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I spent the year ensuring that I would get into an OT program, the field of OT fit my personal and professional goals. I got into a program, but started getting "jitters". I heavily researched the field and came across things like... high productivity standards, no salary growth, saturated field with difficulty in finding work, disrespect in the workforce, and theory based schooling. I have no idea how much weight to put on topics like this, especially when they are coming from Indeed.com forums and other internet sources. I am looking at 95K combined undergrad and graduate debt combined if I pursue this field. Can anyone share their stories and experiences in the field/debt and if it was worth it? If you could rewind the clock, would you have done anything differently?

I have more debt than you. I like OT, but more recently there has been more fluctuation in caseload. I used to make 95k to 100k easily. I expect 70k this year with more work.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I have more debt than you. I like OT, but more recently there has been more fluctuation in caseload. I used to make 95k to 100k easily. I expect 70k this year with more work.
Why has your salary dropped so significantly? I am worried about entering a field that is so dependent on insurance companies. I have so much anxiety entering debt without knowing how the field will change over the years like you mentioned. I have asked a few OT's if they could do over would they do it again and many said no because of the productivity standards and lack of growth in the field. If you had to do all over again, would you choose OT? It seems like I am the only future OT student questioning life after school. It's frustrating because everyone is so excited on all of these forums, but here I am accepted into a great program but having second thoughts...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why has your salary dropped so significantly? I am worried about entering a field that is so dependent on insurance companies. I have so much anxiety entering debt without knowing how the field will change over the years like you mentioned. I have asked a few OT's if they could do over would they do it again and many said no because of the productivity standards and lack of growth in the field. If you had to do all over again, would you choose OT? It seems like I am the only future OT student questioning life after school. It's frustrating because everyone is so excited on all of these forums, but here I am accepted into a great program but having second thoughts...
I admire your reality. I've had many of the same thoughts. While I am not yet accepted to a program, I have struggled with the debt/earnings ratio, and worry that it won't be worth it. Thank you for asking the hard questions! You aren't alone in your concerns :)

Reactions: 1 user
The method of reimbursement changed for home care and SNF. Home care for me reduced the number of home care visits I can provide a patient. My average OT visit frequency used to be 4 visits. Most agencies are only letting you do 3. Some only 2. There used to be a lot of PRN work in SNF in the old system, but that is no more. I talked to my PT friend and she only had 3 4 hour days doing PRN work in a couple of large facilities so far this year. Even full-time people are not getting their 40 hours. Most of the COTAs and PTAs are having difficulty finding good work. My PTA colleague is doing the doordash thing as a driver right now. Most of the people on SDN are students or they may get a job in a high demand area. I spoke to a younger OT in SNF recently and she is getting 35 hr with 350 monthly health premium averaging like 35 hours a week. Good luck guys.

There are jobs like in Texas and CA if you want to live there. There seems to be a lot of school contract and peds jobs in my area. It's cutthroat for crap jobs.

Ask yourself how do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years. Operationally define how it looks like, consider does OT meets your need and what alternative paths can also meet it. Many therapists do get burnt out but I think that can happen in any field. The individual is a product of its environment but the individual can also shape the environment.

OT is a field that naturally roots in problem solving and adapting to different situations. Much like news, negative feedback will always standout. It is beneficial to get as much of the picture revealed to make an inform decision. High productivity standards, no salary growth, saturated field with difficulty in finding work, disrespect in the workforce, and theory based schooling are all credible statements. However, on the other end there are therapists that have more flexible productivity standard, comfortable wage, no problem finding work. I have met OT who wish they did another field but I have also met other disciplines who wished they did OT originally.

Going to occupational therapy school, everyone hates theory but it truly is a necessity. Theory drives evidence, it prevents people from just making things up. OT as a tool can adapt to many situations so generalizing it can be difficult for unfamiliar audience. Occupational therapy itself present differently whether you work in hospital/inpatient, school, long term care facility. These are all traditional practice areas and many have paved way to discovered their own unique niche. Many go into the field to solely focus on clinical practice but some have deviated through business, entrepreneurship, education, or research.

As an occupational therapist, I do think advocacy needs to be stronger both on the organizational level and the individual level. My job constantly is sharing how occupational therapy can benefit students, teachers, and family. I think lack of respect happens because of little understanding. True collaboration working with clients and other team members require open communication to meet a common goal. OT is all about overcoming barriers and that is why I love this profession so much.

For inspiration, AOTA's What Occupational Therapy Can Do For You?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Ask yourself how to you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years. Operationally define how it looks like and consider does OT meets your need and what alternative paths can also meet it. Many therapists do get burnt out but I think that can happen in any field. The individual is a product of its environment but the individual can also shape the environment.

OT is a field that naturally roots in problem solving and adapting to different situations. Much like news, negative feedback will always standout. It is beneficial to get as much of the picture revealed to make an inform decision. High productivity standards, no salary growth, saturated field with difficulty in finding work, disrespect in the workforce, and theory based schooling are all credible statements. However, on the other end there are therapists that have more flexible productivity standard, comfortable wage, no problem finding work. I have met OT who wish they did another field but I have also met other disciplines who wished they did OT originally.

Going to occupational therapy school, everyone hates theory but it truly is a necessity. Theory drives evidence, it prevents people from just making things up. OT as a tool can adapt to many situations so generalizing it can be difficult for unfamiliar audience. Occupational therapy itself present differently whether you work in hospital/inpatient, school, long term care facility. These are all traditional practice areas and many have paved way to discovered their own unique niche. Many go into the field to solely focus on clinical practice but so have deviated through business, entrepreneurship, education, or research.

As an occupational therapist, I do think advocacy needs to be stronger both on the organizational level and the individual level. My job constantly is sharing what occupational therapy can benefit students, teachers, and family. I think lack of respect happens because of little understanding. True collaboration working with clients and other team members requires open communication to meet a common goal. OT is all about overcoming barriers and that is why I love this profession so much.

This was beautifully stated, thank you for all that you do in the profession!

I agree with the commenter above. You have to remain open, flexible, and marketable. For your first few jobs you may not be in the area that you wish to or making a great wage. That being said I feel at times occupational therapists need to better market ourselves (as do our professional organizations!). We need more unity as a profession (happy to see thar AOTA and NBCOT are merging) and better representation in congress. I know for example at the VA there is so much more that we could do in terms of educating Caregivers for our veterans.

I will never forget that in occupational therapy school they pointed out how Physical Therapy has 10 times the lobbyists on Capitol Hill. It is not a competition whatsoever and I have much love and respect for my physical therapy colleagues. The issue though remains a branding thing I believe in part.

In terms of pay...As a recent new grad I feel no_OT should never accept a wage less than $40 an hour if it's within 75 miles of the California coastline or major metro area but double check... Make sure you're doing your research go to California labor department government website and look at the wage data tables for occupational therapist to see what the four different quartiles of therapists are earning. For example there is a lower 25%, median, 75%, and the last highest earning quartile.

We will only stay valuable and relevant and respected if we demand it and show up with the skill set to match. I think there needs to be better networking opportunities even now in the midst of the coronavirus we should be having online forums in live video form if possible... Possibly there are some that I'm not aware of... if so I would love a link to a live chat feed where we can all is occupational therapist sit and network on how we can navigate through these times.

If it were me I would 100% do occupational therapy again. It is a beautiful profession and no it is not for everyone but it allows a unique opportunity to treat the whole person. And truly the whole person. There is a part of me that takes pride in not needing to prescribe a single drug to help heal someone. Of course drugs are critical and useful to navigate the course of illness however there is the other side of it too. OT's are the only rehab discipline that has advanced psych training. We are allowed to gain further education to perform swallow evaluations, cognitive evaluations, we can help with functional mobility, bed Mobility, environmental adjustment, seating and positioning, ortho, modalities, and of course our bread-and-butter and most essential thing which are ADL's. I don't say this to step on the toes of my other colleagues and the other disciplines whatsoever. No OT be doing this if they are not competent. That being said that we are uniquely trained to be in a great disposition to learn from our SLP and PT colleagues to work together to meet the needs of the patient. In the end cross competence helps everyone and protects the organization and the patient you see this of course with advanced practice RN, PA is, Specialty Physicians and internists across the board. I frequently see physical therapist training on adl's nowadays which I think it's a great thing. It's all about meeting the demand and showing the rest of the medical team how valuable rehab is as a unit.

The flexibility is a huge luxury.

That and you would have the ability to open up your own practice when all is said and done if you wanted to. There are so many tools nowadays that make that easier than before however we need the advocacy and know-how behind that for more OT's to proceed on that path.

Typically there are great benefits and the pay is worth it. The pay should not be the most important thing though for sure. I found in my short time as an OT that it is more important to have the right culture and fit where you were at for your workplace versus pay so those are of course things to consider.

It is not a decision you should make lightly it is a huge decision. I found this for him and talking to strangers 2B of great help. That and I was blessed enough to have an aunt who was already in OT school as I was trying to apply. This help me gain some insight before making a big decision. I am a very new clinician and still have a lot to learn I hope I offered a little more insight...

Reactions: 3 users
Ask yourself how do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years. Operationally define how it looks like, consider does OT meets your need and what alternative paths can also meet it. Many therapists do get burnt out but I think that can happen in any field. The individual is a product of its environment but the individual can also shape the environment.

Going to occupational therapy school, everyone hates theory but it truly is a necessity. Theory drives evidence, it prevents people from just making things up. OT as a tool can adapt to many situations so generalizing it can be difficult for unfamiliar audience. Occupational therapy itself present differently whether you work in hospital/inpatient, school, long term care facility. These are all traditional practice areas and many have paved way to discovered their own unique niche. Many go into the field to solely focus on clinical practice but some have deviated through business, entrepreneurship, education, or research.

As an occupational therapist, I do think advocacy needs to be stronger both on the organizational level and the individual level. My job constantly is sharing how occupational therapy can benefit students, teachers, and family. I think lack of respect happens because of little understanding. True collaboration working with clients and other team members require open communication to meet a common goal. OT is all about overcoming barriers and that is why I love this profession so much.

Yes^^^