MD Current PA student, 3.7ugrad, 3.6science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bopats27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited for anonymity. Thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am currently a 1st year student at an established PA school. I am not looking for a PA vs MD debate, I just want to know what my chances might be given these circumstances. Thanks!

PA school info
-Grading is Honors / Pass / Fail. I have two honors through 3 semesters, the rest are pass.
-Admissions committee (selected by faculty)
-Volunteer at student run clinic

Undergrad academics
English degree in 4 years
cGPA = ~3.7
sGPA = ~3.6 (all pre-reqs have been completed + some upper level sciences)

Undergrad ECs
English tutor
Gen chem tutor
Admissions committee
Senior research paper selected to present at conference

Healthcare experience
Respiratory Therapist 1.5 years before PA school
3 year volunteer at local ED
Lots of shadowing (MDs and PAs), 100+ hours

Rec letters
Had awesome ones for PA school. Not sure how I'll go about getting them for med applications.

No MCAT.

We start rotations in a few months and I am wondering if I would even get consideration from adcoms if I were to apply for this upcoming cycle. I am not terribly fond of waiting until after PA graduation, getting more work experience, etc. because I hate the idea of delaying this even more. I'm already beating myself up for not choosing med school in the first place. And for anyone who is interested, there was a lot that went into that first decision (PA and physician mentors, family issues, etc). But I've realized that I won't be fulfilled as a PA.

Thanks so much!
Yes, you have a chance, assuming an incredibly persuasive admissions essay, but it might be a tough sell since you seem to jump ship frequently and may be perceived as someone who is indecisive. As you would not be a shoo-in, and because med schools don't like to steal students from other professional programs, I encourage you to complete the program you're already in, as your backup plan.

Thanks for getting back to me, Catalystik. I agree that it might seem flaky go from one professional program to another. Would you (or anyone else) recommend working on a particular aspect of my resume that could help bolster my application to show that I'm serious about med school? I realize that if I graduate as a PA and get work experience I'll be a stronger applicant, but that's an incredibly expensive endeavor. I plan on only applying to the two state schools that I have residency. I know this would be an incredible stretch, but the cost would be insurmountable if I go to a private school.

I feel as though I had a good medical school application prior to attending PA school, so I'm hoping that my academics/ECs will shine past the fact that I chose to be short-sighted with PA school than what I truly wanted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have given this so much thought and I want to go about it in the appropriate manner.

Last edited:
Would you (or anyone else) recommend working on a particular aspect of my resume that could help bolster my application to show that I'm serious about med school?
Consider getting involved in science research and nonmedical community service to the poor. Leadership also strengthens a med school application.