Current / Past UT-H students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalemph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the website, it says it was possible but 'extremely ambitious' to complete the MPH in 1 year; however it was commonplace to complete it in 18-24mos.

First off...is it then reasonable to assert that one could complete the degree in 1.5 years? Does that mean you only pay 3 semesters tuition/fees?

Secondly, what does 'extremely ambitious' mean? Is it an actual possibility? What is entailed in completing the degree in one year (or 1.5yrs for that matter)?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The 1 year plan is considered ambitious because it takes time to plan and complete the required practicum and culminating (thesis) experience, which are usually done in separate semesters. If you're like most people, you will take a full load of courses the first semester, and then work on the other requirements in the remaining semesters.

Although it is difficult and very rare to finish in 1 year, it is still possible and I do know of someone who has done it (granted their thesis project did not seem as involved as others I have seen). Finishing in 1.5-2 years is more common.

thanks for your input. If you do complete the degree in 1.5yrs, do you still pay 2 full yrs tuition, or is it reduced?

Members don't see this ad :)
You only pay for what the semesters you are enrolled (you must be enrolled during practicum and culminating experience) so if you finish in 3 semesters then you only pay for 3 semesters.

You only pay for what the semesters you are enrolled (you must be enrolled during practicum and culminating experience) so if you finish in 3 semesters then you only pay for 3 semesters.

Hello Jetdry,
what will be your advice o finding roommates and relocating to Houston. I am looking at Lanesborough apartments. are there any apartment complexes you'll recommend? How is the student housing offered through auxilary enterprises?

Hello Jetdry,
what will be your advice o finding roommates and relocating to Houston. I am looking at Lanesborough apartments. are there any apartment complexes you'll recommend? How is the student housing offered through auxilary enterprises?

University housing is great (good rent, location, and safety) but it's difficult to get in and has a long wait list. The wait list starts over every January, so contact them if you're interested. I've heard Lansborough and Greenbriar are popular among med students, so if you check around different sites during the summer you should be able to find roommate postings.