Current PCO Students!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys handle living in that area?! I went down for the interview a few days ago, and all I heard on the news while I was down there was about these 3 cops that got shot on Broad St. (where the Eye Institute is!!!). I LOVED the school and the program..but I CANNOT see myself living in that area! Id feel so unsafe and it seems so depressing!!! Im hoping its not as bad as it looked...can someone from PCO tell me a bit about the student life there.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually curious to hear about this as well. I will be attending PCO in the fall but I've never been in Philadelphia or anywhere in that area before my interview so I don't know what to think about the neighborhood. How safe is it? I know it's a city and you have to be careful in any city, but any info from current students will be appreciated.

well someone was murdered (not a student. daughter's bf killed her father) in the colonade apartment right across from school and rotted in his apartment in 20 pieces for 3 days without anyone noticing even though there was a highly noticable stench which i guess was ignored bc the whole place usually smells so darn bad...

aside from that, it's perfectly safe to live in the Elkins park area (seriously) : ) I'd say live in Brookview, Wyncote house (highly recommended!), or Wyncote Towers ($very nice$). as for safety around the clinic, it's located on the outer boarder of NE philly so it's not horrible unless you do stupid things like leave briefcases or other expensive looking items in your car. anyway, PCO is no safer or more dangeorus than any other schools out there (well probably safer than ICO). You'll have a good time here while you're not studying. it's a big class and everyone gets along well. im happy with my decision and so are most of my classmates. see you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to agree, the area around ICO is much worse.

If that is the case, then I probably wont go down for an interview if I get an invite. Probably NECO has the best location, and I was rejected there. So depressing..:(

It'll be fine. No worries. Abington township, where I live, 3 miles north of school was rated one of the top 20 places in the US to live. If you're not into the city and all the things that come with it, live north of the school in the suburbs and you will be safe.

What is the student life like then at PCO? There wasn't much around in the area..do u go downtown on the weekends often?

I don't, but a lot of people go down to the city on weekends when there's not a test on Monday or to the bars near school during the week. Several go to Atlantic City every weekend. I'm quieter, so the restaurants and mall, etc. around school are plenty. I don't know where you're from, but there is actually a ton to do here, maybe not within a mile radius of school. I don't really know what you're worried about, you are not going to have that much free time anyway.

I have some concern over PCO and am wondering if PCO students can shed some light on this. Is it true that pco invites 160 students and is willing to weed out 60 of them within the first year? I just think that's just preposterous but I want to know.

How do you guys handle living in that area?! I went down for the interview a few days ago, and all I heard on the news while I was down there was about these 3 cops that got shot on Broad St. (where the Eye Institute is!!!). I LOVED the school and the program..but I CANNOT see myself living in that area! Id feel so unsafe and it seems so depressing!!! Im hoping its not as bad as it looked...can someone from PCO tell me a bit about the student life there.

you hear about deathS in an area which you will be visiting frequently, and you are STILL asking if it is safe? ofcourse it isn't f****** safe.

I have some concern over PCO and am wondering if PCO students can shed some light on this. Is it true that pco invites 160 students and is willing to weed out 60 of them within the first year? I just think that's just preposterous but I want to know.

I don't see that as true at all, sure there are some students who drop out for medical reasons or optometry isn't right for them but i wouldnt say they are "willing to weed" anyone out. First of all, if they have more students paying tuition the school gets more funding...so for that reason they would rather have the class full. In all seriousness though no one wants anyone to fail out and if you are struggling there are lots of resources to utilize to improve your grades and everyone is more than willing to help. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it, if you get in just do your best and use your resources and you will stay in.

This is kinda off topic, but I was wondering if you knew around when school starts in the fall?
I can't find it on the website.

If you don't know, no biggie. I shall call them on Monday.

This is kinda off topic, but I was wondering if you knew around when school starts in the fall?
I can't find it on the website.

If you don't know, no biggie. I shall call them on Monday.

I would like to know this as well. I requested for an academic schedule but had no reply yet.

fall semester starts sometime in August.

As for weeding out, from what I hear about 10-15 students drop out a year due to various reasons (not all academic). Make sure you do well your first semester to get a good buffer for a tough 2nd semester. g'luck : )

Are we going to need scrubs?

I have a set and just am trying to find ways to cut down the cost.

It would probably be part of the equipment which you cannot avoid.

No scrubs required, except for PAs, but if you feel like it you can wear them I guess.

Hahaha!!!!! Where did you hear this from? I'm a 3rd yr, and we probaly just lose about 10 people. Handful repeated, the rest left because of pregnancy or they were sick so they had to wait a year, or they didn't like optometry.

Those are some funny rumours.

Oh and btw, Elkins Park is safe where the campus is. The clinic is in a bad area, but it's perfect. Every patient has some pathology so it's awesome. I'm on my rotation right now, and I haven't seen 10% of the pathology I saw at TEI (PCO's clinic).

If you are looking for housing theres plenty of options around here. Chestnut Hill is a nice area about 10 minutes from school that's nice to live in. Than as someone previously mentioned, there's Brookview, Wyncote, and Colonade. I lived at Colonade for 2.5 yrs till we left on rotations. It's not the best, a lot of third years lived there so it was fun having some friends in the building plus it's right across the road. However, it is hit and miss with the apartment you'd get. Bottom line, if you want to walk 3 minutes to get to school go to Colonade. If you want something that "feels" safer and cleaner don't go to Colonade. Also the parking situation on campus is getting worse when all 1st, 2nd AND 3rd yrs were on campus because of the new PA program. Parking sucked!

Thanks ML1983! What an insightful and pleasing post!

Hahaha!!!!! Where did you hear this from? I'm a 3rd yr, and we probaly just lose about 10 people. Handful repeated, the rest left because of pregnancy or they were sick so they had to wait a year, or they didn't like optometry.

Oh and btw, Elkins Park is safe where the campus is. The clinic is in a bad area, but it's perfect. Every patient has some pathology so it's awesome. I'm on my rotation right now, and I haven't seen 10% of the pathology I saw at TEI (PCO's clinic).

If you are looking for housing theres plenty of options around here. Chestnut Hill is a nice area about 10 minutes from school that's nice to live in. Than as someone previously mentioned, there's Brookview, Wyncote, and Colonade. I lived at Colonade for 2.5 yrs till we left on rotations. It's not the best, a lot of third years lived there so it was fun having some friends in the building plus it's right across the road. However, it is hit and miss with the apartment you'd get. Bottom line, if you want to walk 3 minutes to get to school go to Colonade. If you want something that "feels" safer and cleaner don't go to Colonade. Also the parking situation on campus is getting worse when all 1st, 2nd AND 3rd yrs were on campus because of the new PA program. Parking sucked!

This got me thinking on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT topic:

are there any pregnant optometry students? do any women STAY in school if they happen to become pregnant?

Just interested to know.

are there any pregnant optometry students? do any women STAY in school if they happen to become pregnant?

Just interested to know.

Umm interesting question. There are no pregnant girls here, there are a few new dads this year, but I think you would do anything possible to prevent pregnancy your first few years of optom school. I have heard that some people take a year off if they became pregnant. If you are planning on having kids in school I guess thats your perogative, but its not something I would try to do! My husband and I are considering maybe the last year, but even that would still be difficult.

Just interested to know.

I know 3 people who had babies. 1 who was a class above me that joined my class. And one from my first year class that joined the class below me. No biggie, they had a baby so they took a year off. I met one girl who was an upper year and STAYED in school. Definitely a trooper!!