Current PCO Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious if the information in the document below is correct? In the 2009-2010 class it says there are 13 repeating students. If it is correct why are there so many students that repeat their first year? It is higher then any other school. Do you guys lose 10 percent of your class by the end of your second year? Thanks for your help
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=604784

Members don't see this ad.

I recieve an email back from PCO that said that they just happen to have a lot of student come back this year that had left for various reasons. If a student leaves for personal reasons, illnesses, ect... They normally only have 3 or 4 that repeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
This probably has to do with the fact that the schedule at PCO is absolutely crazy! I know we are ALL super busy but our sequence is different from most other schools. I'm sure putting someone back into that sequence has to be a scheduling nightmare. Also keep in mind our classes each year are about 150 students. That is pretty large compared to most other schools. Aside of the snow, PCO is a great school :).

This probably has to do with the fact that the schedule at PCO is absolutely crazy! I know we are ALL super busy but our sequence is different from most other schools. I'm sure putting someone back into that sequence has to be a scheduling nightmare. Also keep in mind our classes each year are about 150 students. That is pretty large compared to most other schools. Aside of the snow, PCO is a great school :).

How is the schedule crazy? Can you post your schedule or PM? I have asked admissions, and they won't give out their schedules. I would like to see what I have signed up for :)

PCO has a 18 month externship policy, which sends out students after two and half years of trainings in school. (most schools keep their students for 3 yrs) This policy allows students to gain more experience by practicing in different location/settings. The draw back is that it left the school less time to lecture the students, so the school needs to pack more material to the first two and half years.

The schedule is different everyday, and it is hard to judge the difficulty by simply looking at the course name. Although the course are intense, it is definitely doable as long as you don't procrastinate too much and only study the night before. The school demands a lot, but students usually find free time over the weekends to go out and have fun. Most students excelled with PCO's course design, no need to worry about it now.

"Although the course are intense, it is definitely doable as long as you don't procrastinate too much and only study the night before."

With all due respect, I am a student at Nova in my 3rd year, and NO ONE here goes out on weekends past the first 2 weeks or so of school....we had 4 drops (a few of which got into other schools), and 3 or 4 repeats last year. The class ave on any test is rarely over about 82-84. Some tests see an ave EVERY year in the upper sixties....mind you that I feel this is ridiculous, and that there are a few (mainly gen ed) teachers here that should not have a job, but this place is incredibly difficult. I would say that I would be more alarmed if a school had never dropped anyone, never repeats anyone, etc. Look at the attrition rates of a lot of medical schools for an easy comparison...and if we want to be considered as partners, our schools must maintain a high standard.

With all that said, it depends a lot as to why someone quit, dropped, etc....a lot of times the "personal reasons" were the scapegoat for a program that was already handing them their lunch....that is the case with many that I know here. If people work hard (go to our library on a sat night, it is wall to wall OD students), they will make it. Good luck up there in the snow. I was THIS close to choosing PCO myself ::thumbup: