Current Pharmacy Student wanting to go med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bullsfan1986

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I thought that being a pharmacist was what I wanted to do with my life, and thus I applied to pharmacy school, got in, and now am a 3rd year who is absolutely disillusioned with the profession. I must say, I had absolutely no experience before entering pharmacy school, and pretty much applied because I was a young, naive, 21 year old who was fascinated with a (pretty much) guaranteed six figure income after graduation. After working in various pharmacy settings via experiential classes (retail, hospital, clinical), I have decided that I simply have no passion for the profession, but have developed a passion to seriously help and interact with patients. (I say serious because true patient interaction is not exactly in the job description of a pharmacist.) Anyways, I have grown interested in medicine and took the MCAT last summer (33Q-V:12 P:9 B:12) to see if I could really "make the cut" against pre-meds. Accordingly, I also have great research experience (two years as a summer intern at a major pharma and one year as a RA with a professor at my pharm school) that has yielded 3 posters and one national conference presentation (no pubs yet, working on that though). I also have good leadership and volunteering activities (which includes doc shadowing and non-clinical work). Here comes my rate limiting step: my ugpa is pretty terrible (cum:3.1 sgpa: ~2.9) and my pharm gpa isn't much better (3.3). Although I have trolled (not the annoying kind) on this board for a long time, I haven't really seen another poster in my situation. Would it be worth my time to do an SMP? Is there any hope left for me at all to go MD? Any thoughts/comments/arguments would be welcomed. Thanks.
 
1. i think you have a decent shot at a DO school

2. go to carib school

3. go to podiatry school and become a foot and ankle surgeon.


good luck
 
Thanks for the response. I actually go to a pharmacy school that also has a DO program and most of the DO students I've spoken with have said that if they had gotten in to an MD school they would've have seized the opportunity. I don't want to turn this in to a DO vs. MD argument. I was just wondering if an SMP (granted I did well) would help me in getting in to an MD school?
 
Thanks for the response. I actually go to a pharmacy school that also has a DO program and most of the DO students I've spoken with have said that if they had gotten in to an MD school they would've have seized the opportunity. I don't want to turn this in to a DO vs. MD argument. I was just wondering if an SMP (granted I did well) would help me in getting in to an MD school?

SMP would definitely help. It will not hurt to go to a top SMP and get all A's. There is not exact formula to use to predict your chance of getting in after the SMP program. However, to give you a general idea, i think if you do a SMP and get high marks, coupled with good letter of recs, good MCAT (32 or up) will give you a nice chance of landing some interviews.


I personally think you should just do a residency after your pharmacy school and be like a infectious disease pharmacist or some other kind of clinical pharmacist. They get to go on rounds with physicians and really make a big difference. My buddy is doing that in a major hospital and he really likes it. Besides, your going to be in some tremendous debt if you switch fields. Enjoy your youth and make your nice six figure salary without being on call, go marry a hot girl, buy a nice house in a few years and sip some champagne by the ocean.

wish u the best