Current PI wants a "rough draft" for my LOR....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madindalab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a current medical student who is making an internal application to the MSTP program at my school.

My current PI, who I have been doing research with since the start of my first year, told me he would be happy to write a LOR for me but to give him a rough draft.... What should I say about myself?!?!

and fyi, I have letters from 2 others PI's I worked with and also my MD preceptor.

tl;dr help me write my own LOR!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a life lesson: refuse to write your own recommendation letters. It should be your mentor's job. You put in hours of blood sweat and tears, this is the return you deserve. If you do it once, your mentor will NEVER independently write you a rec letter again.

That being said, I would make a bulleted list of things to comment on such as
- your interest in becoming a physician scientist, and not just a physician or just a scientist
- your ability to think independently and approach problems in the lab
- your research knowledge and background, including the skills you possess in the lab
- your ability to organized with your coursework and your time management skills that would make you an ideal candidate for med school

This is a life lesson: refuse to write your own recommendation letters. It should be your mentor's job.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah ok. Good luck with that.

Seriously, when I did it the first time, I looked up example recommendation letters on the Google. Now that I've done at least a dozen of them, it's second nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a life lesson: refuse to write your own recommendation letters. It should be your mentor's job. You put in hours of blood sweat and tears, this is the return you deserve. If you do it once, your mentor will NEVER independently write you a rec letter again.

That being said, I would make a bulleted list of things to comment on such as
- your interest in becoming a physician scientist, and not just a physician or just a scientist
- your ability to think independently and approach problems in the lab
- your research knowledge and background, including the skills you possess in the lab
- your ability to organized with your coursework and your time management skills that would make you an ideal candidate for med school

I actually agree, I would rather have my PI write it because I have no idea what to emphasize about myself.

On the other hand, my PI isn't that great at writing in english.... maybe that's why my PI wants me to write it? Probably now, however, it's probably just a lack of want to write it, haha.

Thanks a lot for this list, I really appreciate it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah ok. Good luck with that.

Seriously, when I did it the first time, I looked up example recommendation letters on the Google. Now that I've done at least a dozen of them, it's second nature.

Any more suggestions of what I should emphasize? What about how I have been doing on exams? We are "unranked" p/f, but we get test scores back and class averages with standard deviations.... how do I play that up?

Here's an example fired off the hip.

On official letterhead

Dear MSTP Selection Committee,

I am writing to offer my enthusiastic support for Madindalab for the Medical Scientist Training Program of the University of X. I have known Madindalab since he/she joined our group as a research assistant in Month of Year. Since that time he has worked part and full-time on a project entitled "The random interaction of protein X and protein Y: implications for a disease you've never heard of."

As a research assistant, Madindalab has made exceptional progress. He took the lead in interpreting the basic research behind this project, designing experiments pertaining to the hypothesis, and in interpretation of the data and future directions for the project. [insert personal anecdote here: dedication (once I found out he worked all night for a deadline without any prodding), charity (he dedicates his time selflessly to the training of new students), knowledge, ability, something]. His hard work has culminated in a poster presented at the International Conference of Disease You've Never Heard Of, and a manuscript in preparation (if true).

I have supervised many students over the years, and Madindalab has consistently impressed me in his medical and research knowledge, dedication, and ability. I have supervised many students in research over my career, and Madindalab is simply outstanding. He has told me that his goal is to become a physician and scientist. Based on my interactions with him, I believe that he would be exceptional in that role. Madindalab should become a member in the Medical Scientist Training Program so that he may develop his knowledge and skills to become an excellent physician and scientist.

Sincerely,
Not writing about myself

Here's an example fired off the hip.

On official letterhead

Dear MSTP Selection Committee,

I am writing to offer my enthusiastic support for Madindalab for the Medical Scientist Training Program of the University of X. I have known Madindalab since he/she joined our group as a research assistant in Month of Year. Since that time he has worked part and full-time on a project entitled "The random interaction of protein X and protein Y: implications for a disease you've never heard of."

As a research assistant, Madindalab has made exceptional progress. He took the lead in interpreting the basic research behind this project, designing experiments pertaining to the hypothesis, and in interpretation of the data and future directions for the project. [insert personal anecdote here: dedication (once I found out he worked all night for a deadline without any prodding), charity (he dedicates his time selflessly to the training of new students), knowledge, ability, something]. His hard work has culminated in a poster presented at the International Conference of Disease You've Never Heard Of, and a manuscript in preparation (if true).

I have supervised many students over the years, and Madindalab has consistently impressed me in his medical and research knowledge, dedication, and ability. I have supervised many students in research over my career, and Madindalab is simply outstanding. He has told me that his goal is to become a physician and scientist. Based on my interactions with him, I believe that he would be exceptional in that role. Madindalab should become a member in the Medical Scientist Training Program so that he may develop his knowledge and skills to become an excellent physician and scientist.

Sincerely,
Not writing about myself

wow, this is awesome, thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Awesome template, Neuronix!

I had to draft LoRs for myself as well. I asked my two main LoR writers for help. They basically gave me a format identical to what Neuronix provided, and also suggested to emphasize these points: independence, curiosity, productivity, team player

Both I and my PI aren't good at English so when I asked for a letter, he asked me to write my own, and then we both realized...****. So I wrote a rough draft and went to my Writing Center and had it proofread--planning to do the same for my Personal Statement.

Asking you to write a rough draft of an LOR is a fairly common thing. The PI may like you but not know you well enough to write a great LOR. This way you get to 'sell' yourself and it makes the PIs life a little easier.

This is one of my pet peeves. I think it is totally wrong, but everyone seems to be doing it. It's the norm in Europe. I didn't have to write a single letter in college or from my master's work, but at my MD/PhD institution, at least half of the PIs demand this. I think it's a bit insulting, but whatever...

This is one of my pet peeves. I think it is totally wrong, but everyone seems to be doing it. It's the norm in Europe. I didn't have to write a single letter in college or from my master's work, but at my MD/PhD institution, at least half of the PIs demand this. I think it's a bit insulting, but whatever...

Honestly it made me think about what are my real shining qualities are as well as my pitfalls. The more I have talked to people about this (writing ones own LOR draft) the more I realize people usually do not like to do it. They are uncomfortable with their own success...granted some are perfectly fine with over selling themselves as well. The caveat of having to give the draft to your PI is that they will usually know if your over selling or underselling yourself. You have to know yourself well in order to be honest about what you are capable of doing. This is a very important thing to understand about oneself in any career path. As uncomfortable as this made me the first time I has to write my own draft of an LOR in the end it really helped me more then anything to realize how honest I need to be with myself in order to be honest with those who would want to hire me.

One thing you should note is that you should never put anything negative in your LOR. LORs are supposed to be gushing with praise. Any negativity is essentially the kiss of death, so don't try to buttress your achievements with a dig here and there at yourself.

One thing you should note is that you should never put anything negative in your LOR. LORs are supposed to be gushing with praise. Any negativity is essentially the kiss of death, so don't try to buttress your achievements with a dig here and there at yourself.

Avoiding negativity is a good thing, but don't say you can do something that you can not. Know what you can do and then make it sound like it the best thing since sliced bread.