Current practicing radiologists from community residency programs -- Happy? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dariogoly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a fourth year going through application season, this has especially been on my mind as I'm interviewing at a mix of academic vs community programs. For current attendings who have finished training at a community radiology program, are you satisfied with how prepared you are for fellowship, matching at the fellowships you wanted to, and getting a job in your desired area? Any advice that you would give in retrospect?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not going to get a consensus because community programs are highly variable. Some are similar to academic programs, where there is good teaching, broad variety of cases, etc. Others are run like a PP using residents as glorified transcriptionists or warm bodies to cover the nights/weekends (slave labor) with minimal to no teaching.

Reactions: 1 user
A few years ago when the job market was tight, most groups in my area which is a very desirable area used to look only at the applicants who were from the local big university programs. I personally didn't like that behavior, but that is what it is.

I don't think there will be any significant difference is teaching. But the reality is different that people's "perception of reality".

Reactions: 1 user