Current rads competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jynonstop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to rads residency and I was wondering what people have noticed about rads competition this year(not that this it will change my decision to apply). In other words, the peak in interest/competition seemed like it was in 03' and since has gone down a little bit. Do you think it will go up this year? Stay the same? Go down? I .guess one way to notice is to see how many rads applicants are in their class. Mine has 11(we have 161 students)
P.S. Has anyone noticed that it seems like everyone gets 245+ on their boards? I know it's competitive rads applicants but even the residents noticed something was off. They think they changed the grading system. Sorry to those applying to rads who did not get 245+....(don't worry- most still match anyway).

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I know that at my school, practically 3x as many people are applying this year compared to last. Don't know what everybody's scores are though. What's interesting is that over on the "what are my chances thread", folks with scores in the 220s are being encouraged to apply based on anecodotal evidence that there were plenty of people on the interview trial last year with similar scores. Acutally the NRMP data also seems to indicate that such candidates have a good chance. - By the way, is it common to sit around and discuss test scores and such at interviews? I don't remember doing that for the MCAT, but then those days seem kind of fuzzy now.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how competitive things get this year and whether the Step 1 average will drive up. I know scores aren't everything, but it's the best objective measure of competitiveness we have. As far as everybody getting 245+- it's likely inflated because those are the only people willing to talk about their scores. I've yet to hear anybody with a score under 240 (still great!) parade around their scores.

I didn't get over 240 -- and I am still gladly applying. How is that for honest?

... especially if you're applying :) This season may be in actuality slightly more competitive than '08, but only time will tell.

Most radiology "candidates" with sub 240s do not post on sdn or auntminnie, but they'll still apply and match. Depending on where you interview the attendings will be anywhere from impressed to turned off by a [235-255] on Step I. A remarkably high or low step I may set the tone for the interview; however the bulk of most interviews fall into a few general types:

a) 50%. on-the-fly review of your application, since the interviewer hasn't spent more than a few seconds going over your file prior to meeting you. your file usually has your grades and scores highlighted; this is usually followed by a soft-sell of the program. residents at community programs and smaller university programs generally will want to make sure you're someone they can trust and hang out with, and won't go farther than to gauge your personality

b) 25%. someone who has actually read your file carefully, and has specific friendly questions or comments, usually something to get the interview going, e.g. "so you're into photography? so am i .... " usually the questions are about interest in radiology as well as "why here?," hobbies, specific radiology experiences, thoughts on the field, etc. rarely would you be asked about your academic record, except perhaps favorable mentions: evals, LORs, etc. they just want to get a sense of who you are, and often follow a rubric. If there's a glaring problem in your record, you should probably not bring it up.

c) 15%. disorganized or slightly combative interviewers. eh, i imagine just subclinical personality disorders here :)

d) 10%. high pressure or creative interview styles, usually by those inexperienced (at interviewing) but often high-ranking faculty. just hang in there and don't take it personally. try to enjoy it :)

Overall, my advice is that you don't present yourself as too wooden; inject your personality into the process, don't let your questions and answers become to mechanical and practiced. It shows, and it's not attractive. Consider something other than "a black suit," if you're still shopping around. In short, don't be boring. This is a gambit.

Take time to develop your list of places where you'll apply, and do so early, i.e. on-time. Verify your files are processed. Be available to schedule interviews and do so intelligently (i.e. Google Calendar). If you don't get a confirmation e-mail, call to verify. Don't be late. Be friendly and make contacts on interview day. Don't blow off your prelim and TY interviews. Rejections will happen.

Additionally, be aware of your fatigue, emotional state and other factors (bad weather, end of interview season, etc.) that may affect your perception of a place and your performance. Take good notes -- after the day's done.

Don't bother with "thank you" notes, except with people who overtly take themselves too seriously, (they'll often make a positive remark about thank you notes sometime during the interview day) or if you actually have something to say.

You'll be fine :) Best of luck.

Well, I know that at my school, practically 3x as many people are applying this year compared to last. Don't know what everybody's scores are though. What's interesting is that over on the "what are my chances thread", folks with scores in the 220s are being encouraged to apply based on anecodotal evidence that there were plenty of people on the interview trial last year with similar scores. Acutally the NRMP data also seems to indicate that such candidates have a good chance. - By the way, is it common to sit around and discuss test scores and such at interviews? I don't remember doing that for the MCAT, but then those days seem kind of fuzzy now.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how competitive things get this year and whether the Step 1 average will drive up. I know scores aren't everything, but it's the best objective measure of competitiveness we have. As far as everybody getting 245+- it's likely inflated because those are the only people willing to talk about their scores. I've yet to hear anybody with a score under 240 (still great!) parade around their scores.