Current students of SLU's Medical School, how is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

true_royal

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I just got accepted to SLU's med school the other day and I'm really excited about it. A lot of what attracts me to the school is that I've heard that the student environment is overall very collaborative and that the administration is really supportive of their students. The main thing I really want to avoid is a toxic and overly competitive environment (although I'm sure all med schools will have at least some degree of competition).

First of all, for current students - is any of that true? Also, I've heard of some schools (Western U comes to mind) that say they're P/F, but in reality, still have A/B/C-F grading scales. Is SLU's P/F system without internal rankings a true P/F system? Just curious if that's the case.

I just wanna preface everything by saying that I'm super grateful to have gotten such an early acceptance from them. I'm just curious to hear more about what the student environment is like from some current students that aren't just apart of the interview day process.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I just got accepted to SLU's med school the other day and I'm really excited about it. A lot of what attracts me to the school is that I've heard that the student environment is overall very collaborative and that the administration is really supportive of their students. The main thing I really want to avoid is a toxic and overly competitive environment (although I'm sure all med schools will have at least some degree of competition).

First of all, for current students - is any of that true? Also, I've heard of some schools (Western U comes to mind) that say they're P/F, but in reality, still have A/B/C-F grading scales. Is SLU's P/F system without internal rankings a true P/F system? Just curious if that's the case.

I just wanna preface everything by saying that I'm super grateful to have gotten such an early acceptance from them. I'm just curious to hear more about what the student environment is like from some current students that aren't just apart of the interview day process.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school(s).
1.) Everyone says their medical school is collaborative. The reality is that no medical school is truly cutthroat in a way that warrants choosing one place over another.
2.) I'm not familiar with Western U but a large number of medical schools throw around the phrase P/F but have some form of internal grading...frankly for the sake of advancement of their high performing students.
3.) Most SLU students will probably PM you their impression.

Read this: Insight into Pre-Medical Decisions from a Resident (factors in choosing a school, life outlook, etc)

Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school(s).
1.) Everyone says their medical school is collaborative. The reality is that no medical school is truly cutthroat in a way that warrants choosing one place over another.

Maybe not in terms of students being cutthroat, but admins can definitely create that type of environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might get better responses in school specific thread. Sometimes there is current students who lurk and answer questions

Reactions: 1 users
Might get better responses in school specific thread. Sometimes there is current students who lurk and answer questions
Agree with this, the school-specific thread is probably where you want to post. While it's fine for accepted students to post in the med student forum to start the preparation process, we generally encourage discussions about how to choose your school to happen in the pre-med forums (ie the "help me decide" forum) since these kinds of discussions generally aren't useful to current med students.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.