current take on the TAUS method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublejump

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few threads on the TAUS method but a few of them are kinda old. It's written in 2010 so I'm wondering whether anyone follows it to the T anymore.

Does anyone have any opinions on it? e.g. whether Pathoma can be swapped out for each time he mentions Goljan.

Is there another thread where people posted their study schedules?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed a few threads on the TAUS method but a few of them are kinda old. It's written in 2010 so I'm wondering whether anyone follows it to the T anymore.

Does anyone have any opinions on it? e.g. whether Pathoma can be swapped out for each time he mentions Goljan.

I think it's still the best method out there. Basic idea is get a strong subject specific book to read alongside FA and then do lots of questions... that is the essence of what a lot of people do, so Taus is really just an organized plan of that.

It's not rocket science though. Do lots of questions and use FA. If you are weak in an area, an extra book can help. I don't think there is a magic formula - it's hard work that will get you there.

I think the taus method is great. I've been using a slightly modified version during my study session and have seen my practice tests jump from ~205 to >250 in ~4 weeks.

There's really nothing special about the plan, though. It just identifies very high quality resources and provides and organized approach to working through them.

Members don't see this ad :)

actually 2007....I can't believe this thing is still floating around..
Before I get a bunch of PM's (as those have died down over the years) I am totally out of the loop w/ board studying and materials.

Good luck everyone

Essentially everyone uses some sort of variation of the Taus method, unless they are doing some really left-field and unpopular approach to studying. Virtually every popular approach to studying has immense overlap with the Taus method. So specifically doing "the Taus method" is no different than skimming study strategy threads for ideas. Come up with your own strategy that works for you.

What's a good Qbank to do with the Taus method on the first pass? It says to do questions that are specific to your topic of study. I have Rx and while it does let you pick topics by systems or organ, it still gives you questions that are pretty broad and you really have to know everything (pharm, biochem, physio) about the topic before you can finish a whole block (48 questions).

What's a good Qbank to do with the Taus method on the first pass? It says to do questions that are specific to your topic of study. I have Rx and while it does let you pick topics by systems or organ, it still gives you questions that are pretty broad and you really have to know everything (pharm, biochem, physio) about the topic before you can finish a whole block (48 questions).

Kaplan worked for me, but fair warning: it's a very nit-picky qbank and ~1/4 of the questions are far beyond the scope of FA. It can be frustrating to field arguably low-yield questions for an entire 1/4 of the bank. Still, I found it useful and it helped drive home the material before starting UWorld.