Current Teacher, Prospective Au.D Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandybee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

A little background information about me. I currently hold a BS in Early Childhood Education and have been teaching preschool for the last 4 years. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA (3.9 GPA for classes in my major) from a state school. I first became interested in the fields of audiology and SLP my junior year of college while taking Introduction to Phonetics.

I have worked with several SLPs during my time teaching and I'm not quite sure that is the field for me. I have been doing a ton of research about audiology and the various tracks one can take once licensed. I feel that with my background in education I would probably be happiest staying in a school setting as an educational audiologist.

My question is what are my chances of being accepted into an Au.D program with my background? I do plan on taking a statistics class and the full sequence of ASL classes at the local college before even taking my GRE.

Any other advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

ASL classes are not required, but would certainly be helpful as an Audiologist. Other than phonetics, do you have any speech and hearing classes? Having a CSD degree is not a requirement for acceptance, but taking a few courses in the field could give you a better idea if you want to pursue the AuD or MA-SLP. You could certainly be accepted somewhere if an AuD is what you want. I have known of people with sub 3.0 out of field majors get accepted into top 10 programs. Remember, it is the whole package and not any single factor. Can you get great letters of recommendation? Will your personal statement really wow them? Does your GRE meet the cutoff? (your GPA likely will as 3.6 is not super-competitive but pretty good)

Reactions: 1 user
There are only a couple programs that require you to have ASL. Some programs require that you have an undergrad degree in CSD but many do not. I would look into schools that you are interested in and see what their specific requirements are. Here is the link to the ASHA EdFind site, it is very helpful: http://www.asha.org/edfind/ Other than that Ginger Cat99 gave some great advice on the whole package aspect.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Look at the perspective schools you are looking into. I would go talk to their audiology professors. I would also see what communication science courses they require to have. I know I was not a communication sciences major and had to take 5-6 courses in their program to even be looked at by their program with a dual major in pre-med biology and psychology.