Apr 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi, all!

I'm new to the network, hoping to find some resources/advice in a major career transition.

I'm a drummer and I teach ~45 private lessons every week. That means that when kids get out of school they go home, do homework, do sports, hang out with their friends, and see me once a week between 2:30 and 8:30. I work Monday-Thursday from about 2:30-8:15 and then Saturdays from about 9-5. Pay is fine, my boss is talking about health benefits which would be a plus, but my main concern is the work-life balance. I'm not a fan of working that late regardless of how short my hours are, and I can't exactly leave work at work. I need to be up on trends in percussion and prep for lessons a lot at home, on top of planning massive concerts at the end of each semester to showcase my student's work. Long story short, I'm looking for something that has a more stable work/life balance and that won't make me hate music after a few more years.

Enter Audiology. I've heard some mixed reviews on salary relative to cost of schooling, but I'm pretty attracted to being able to work a 9-5 job and leave my work at work. Fine, continuing education and staying up with research and new tech in hearing aids, but at least I won't have to listen to new drummers play "Believer" by Imagine Dragons once a week for the rest of my life, right?

Anyway, I guess my main questions are as follows:

1. With a bachelor's in Music Pedagogy and a cumulative GPA of 3.12, is there anywhere that I am competitive from that standpoint?
2. I've read a lot about pre-req's that people didn't take before their programs that they wished they would have. Examples being mostly from the hard science field. What hard science classes should I have under my belt before I apply to any programs?
3. Besides opening my own practice (doubling as an audiologist and a business owner would kind of defeat the purpose here, haha), what are some of the ideal career options with an Au.D and why?

Thanks for the help!