Current Tulane Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
peptidoglycan said:
What exactly is it that you are concerned about when it comes to H&Ps early in 3rd year?

I guess I just wanted to compare how I feel about it with how other people felt going into third year. Thanks for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Imprint..chill out. If someone doesn't want to tell you what other schools they were accepted to, it's their prerogative. Just like it's your prerogative to not disclose your MCAT scores or grades if you choose not to. You wanted reasons why people chose Tulane, and you got them. If you want more information, fine, but no one is required to give it to you. And that certainly doesn't mean it gives you the prerogative to run around here calling people hypocrites.

Samoa said:
This website is about people's opinions, and ONLY about people's opinions. I am not required to answer every question that I am asked. And I assure you that I have not intentionally tried to deceive you. I've only given you the information I can accurately give. I did wonder why the poster from UT was down on Tulane, but it's really none of my business whether or not that person was accepted here. And it's none of your business either, if they chose not to share it. You simply make an ass of yourself by childishly insisting that your question not be ignored. That poster's opinion of UTHSCSA is valid, as mine would not be, even if I HAD applied, HAD been accepted and HAD chosen Tulane instead. If you feel that it's hypocritical of me not to share my application experiences with you, you're entitled to your opinion. And you're entitled to post your opinion of me wherever you like on this site. But the fact that you feel misled is not evidence that I intended to mislead you, and in fact I did not intend to do so.

The silly insult doesn't surprise me. Guess you're feeling a little defensive for having been caught in a caught in lie (or BIG FAT OMISSION). If you had intended to give qualified advice, then you would have answered the question, instead of repeatedly evading it. But you didn't (which answered it anyway). At least the UT poster had the common sense to disappear. If you didn't intend to mislead anyone, you would have simply answered the question, but instead you bolted. So it was like a double lie-- first, the ommission, then the evasion. Actually, a triple lie, because now you're denying the evasion. Anyway at least we would have been able to qualify your "advice" had you been honest about what other schools did you have to compare to, since you made it sound LIKE YOU DID. Instead all you cared about what your bullcrap "my school is better than yours" argument with the UT poster and what looks like a major inferiority complex. What difference would it have made to be honest anyway if it helped people out (isn't that what your all about, helping people?)? You're already IN school.

You're right. People can say whatever they want on the internet. Which is what makes it dangerous to rely on "advice" givers like you who misrepresent themselves (or omit key facts that might influence a readers opinion of the "advice"). Do everyone a favor, Dear Abby Samoa, restrict yourself to advice on stuff you have a phd in. People really do use this website to make important decisions about where they want to go to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about you shut the f&ck up. You're ruining my thread jackasses. You're arguing over bull**** and clogging up my email inbox with useless updates

arikansas said:
What are everyone's thoughts on Deming? Did anyone live there ever and if not does anyone have any incite on living there? Thanks a lot!

My buddy lives there and really likes it for being so close. I visited and thought the rooms were really small and the neigborhood sucks (right across the street from the school), but he says it's great to roll out of bed in the morning and be right there if you don't mind the crack addicts in the alley. I'm moving to the Garden District, which is really close so I didn't see the difference. If you haven't seen the place, I would definitely check it out before moving in. I think you can get in there last minute if you need to but I would call them to check that out.

MErc44 said:
how about you shut the f&ck up. You're ruining my thread jackasses. You're arguing over bull**** and clogging up my email inbox with useless updates

Hear, hear. This is getting pretty silly. Imprint- lay off it. Please. If you want to insult and berate people, the Everyone forum is waiting for you.

Re: the OP's question. IMHO, Uptown is the way to go, because it's within walking/biking distance of the gym on the undergrad campus. I'd shoot myself in the face if I lived in Deming, but that's just my opinion.

Re: H&P's. This is one of the (many) strengths of the school, in my newly-minted T2 opinion. The clinical education here is absolutely top notch, and it's stressed over and over again. You will leave this school extremely competent clinically, and that's the truth.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a plane to Hawaii to catch.

Person2004,

Don't get too worried about your ability to do a good H&P. Everything looks easy and low stress from my vantage point, but that's because I am embarking on the most expensive vacation of my life. When I was starting 3rd year, I was nervous and stressed out that I would be eaten alive. The reality is I was trained well, I had the proper resources close at hand, and the attendings and residents are incrediby nice and helpful and knew it was the beginning of the year for everybody. As the year progressed, everything became second nature and I am able to answer your question with a nonchalant, "don't worry." I know how you feel though, and students all over the country are dealing with the same jitters you are, and new 3rd years will deal with these feelings for years to come. Keep your head up high and remember to go home and read up on your patients after you write them up so that if you left anything out you can shine on rounds the next morning.

On a side note, I don't really want to get involved in this little tiff with imprint, but I feel the need to say something. I don't know a single premed who knows about only one school and has blinders on preventing her from knowing about a myriad other schools. The fact that Samoa is in med school means that she had to decide where to apply. To do this, she probably read webpages and talked to current students and visited campuses and countless other things. Even if she didn't get into any other schools, she may know a lot of useful information that she can convey to others. And, once you start school somewhere, you are no longer able to give unbiased information -- everything you say is tainted by your experiences at your school. Very few people go to more than one med school, and if anyone does, he usually chose to switch, thus biasing his opinion too. So, take what all of us say with a grain of salt. We are all biased and think our school is the best! I'm a little upset that someone who is so angry and easily offended is going to be a part of the Tulane community -- good thing I'm going to graduate soon!

velouria said:
can i hijack the thread for a second to ask if anyone knows of "family friendly" housing areas for Tulane? by that i mean safe, decent public schools (or cheap private ones), and under a 30 min commute? i've heard maybe metairie?

thanks!

hi!

how old are your kids? i agree with the posters who say that private/Catholic are the way to go. i attended t.h. harris for 2 years(during my "rebellious" phase), and it was rough--our VP got arrested for being ring-leader of a prostitution ring if that tells you anything! Just let me know the ages, and I'll give you some recommendations!

as for me, it will still be a year or two, but i REALLY hope to end up at Tulane. I regret not applying there for undergrad so much. cheers to all of you currently there and good luck to those applying.

imprint, why are you so bitter?

peptidoglycan said:
I'm a little upset that someone who is so angry and easily offended is going to be a part of the Tulane community
truer words couldn't be spoken. although i guess the "whiny" label might finally be removed from our class now :)

Peachy720 said:
hi!

how old are your kids? i agree with the posters who say that private/Catholic are the way to go. i attended t.h. harris for 2 years(during my "rebellious" phase), and it was rough--our VP got arrested for being ring-leader of a prostitution ring if that tells you anything! Just let me know the ages, and I'll give you some recommendations!

Hi! Thanks -- they're still young -- 3 1/2 and 2, but we're hoping to get the oldest in a pre-k program and would ideally not have to move :)
My husband is in NOLA this week looking at places in Uptown and Lakeview. Lakeview sounds great but damn, it's expensive!
Would greatly appreciate ANY thoughts -- you can PM me if you want.
Thanks again!!!

And to imprint, where else are you considering? I think you should go there.

MErc44 said:

Here's another email to clog up your precious inbox, jackass. How bout you shut the f&ck up? Who cares about your ******* thread. Can't you figure out where to find a place to live like g'dam grownup? The rest of us did, *****.

DrBravesgirl said:
truer words couldn't be spoken. although i guess the "whiny" label might finally be removed from our class now :)

Hmmm.. not bothered by an ommission. Hope the rest of the Tulane "community" has a higher standards. Maybe it's just the online geeks, so no big problem.

gotta catch a the first of a hunded flights today to get to Nepal today, so wish I could keep this up but I can't . you guys can carry on for me. Looks like you have lots of time for it, don't you? Isn't med school over? What are your second and third year asses still doing on this website? STILL haven't made friends in med school? No plans for the summer? No friends to spend it with? Why do you use an internet site to "hang" with your classmates-- that is just f&ckin weird. Man, the higher the post number the bigger the loser. Please rp me to shreds, cuz I don't want to deny you the only fun you'll be having this summer. Another lonely summer on SDN for the geeks.

imprint said:
Here's another email to clog up your precious inbox, jackass. How bout you shut the f&ck up? Who cares about your ******* thread. Can't you figure out where to find a place to live like g'dam grownup? The rest of us did, *****.

hahaha. Man, this guy sounds like a great person. The funny thing is he talks alot but I doubt he has it in him to talk like this in front of people. One thing about people online that i have noticed, the tougher they try and sound generally relates to their inability to act this way in real life. I have more to say but it's not worth the effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let anyone viewing this thread, in search of an apartment in the New Orleans area, should search Latter and Blum's website. I recently found a great place in the Uptown area through them. I have the St. Charles/S. Carollton streetcar only a block away and it is in a pretty nice area. I am pumped about starting at Tulane School of Medicine in August.

Another good place to look about living in New Orleans is www.nola.com. Search the forums there and go to Moving to New Orleans. Also the school bulletin board has some places advertised for rent (I believe it is by the student mailboxes?? I went there on a Sunday to go look). Took me a couple days to find the right place but I found it. I really enjoyed looking at one duplex with an old servant bell located in the middle of the dining room floor. Good luck searching.

Check out Lakeview...probably less likely to get raped and murdered there than uptown. :sleep:

P.S. Check out the NOPD crime maps...quite interesting and will probably give you hint where NOT to live.

bad news for me, apparently the class is full right now so they aren't even looking at the acceptable range category. Additionally it pisses me off since I was interviewed in october and it isn't ranked so it seems that interviewing later in the season would be advantageous when I always thought the earlier the better.

Are you in anywhere else? Or were you just waiting on word from Tulane?

I have an acceptance but I knew I wanted to go to Tulane as soon as the interview day started, that is, after I got over almost being robbed on Canal St.

I realize that medical school acceptances are not just about numbers, but one of my top choices is Tulane. I have 3.65 and 29Q. I am just wondering if I need to retake the MCAT to give myself a chance of getting in. Thanks

i think that is below the average but I had a 3.22 when I applied and got an october interview and most likely an august rejection, d'oh. I think you will be in better shape than me.

jjthomas said:
I realize that medical school acceptances are not just about numbers, but one of my top choices is Tulane. I have 3.65 and 29Q. I am just wondering if I need to retake the MCAT to give myself a chance of getting in. Thanks

Hey man I had a 3.8 and a 28( forget what I got on the writing sample). So you should be alright with those numbers. I think they focus more on the person. Tulane seems like a very solid group of students and faculty.

MErc44 said:
bad news for me, apparently the class is full right now so they aren't even looking at the acceptable range category. Additionally it pisses me off since I was interviewed in october and it isn't ranked so it seems that interviewing later in the season would be advantageous when I always thought the earlier the better.

I can confirm this....sad but true. I phoned today and it seems that the waitlist movement has been extremely slow this year. Looks like those of us depending on getting to Tulane will have to make other plans:(

still, my premed advisor told me that it might take awhile to get off the waitlist at tulane. I don't know if I''ve told this story before, but one person she knew was driving to MCW and turned south to head to Tulane after getting a call.

Howdy Y'all,
If anyone is looking for a place to live, I have two empty bedrooms in my house just off Magazine street. Its a sweet house - fit for a baller, everything is first class from hardwoord floor to 12' ceiling - and its a 10-15 minute drive from Tulane's medical school. The bike ride is even shorter, if you can peddle in the heat. I'll be at LSU-NO in the fall myself, and am trying to find a few other medical students to live with. I'm thinking it would be interesting to have LSU and Tulane folks together; a little social mixing never hurt anyone. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, and I'll send you some pics of the house along with the details.
-Johnny

What kind of self-respecting Tulane student would live with someone from LSU? hahaha. just kidding man. You should post the info over in the Tulane lobby...most students look for housing on that bulletin board. cheers

emm few comments I had on various topics in this thread:

1) I think it was Weise's second lecture where he talked about the guy going on a date and tumor starting in his brain and how we are destined to find and treat it, you guys remember that? that was one of the most memorable lectures I ever heard in my life. It was a hair raising moment. That said, he didnt really teach us much medicine in first year anyways but he was a very good motivational speaker and a very funny guy and his lectures where much need break from monotony of daily lectures.

2) deming is awsome for first years. I'd highly recommend it. Yeah neighborhood sucks, and yeah the apartments are crappy but its very very very convenient. You get to hang out with a buncha people from school everyday, if you have questions, need books, help or anything you just have to knock on the door next to yours. you're a 30 second walk away from school and the hospital. What I noticed is that most of us that lived down there where in the top 25% of the class. Since we all had a chance to study in groups and not spend all of our time in commute we stayed on top of things and most of us did well in classes. Honestly you can think of Deming as a integral part of the first year experience. Its like the anatomy labs, it sucks in some ways but is also really cool and vital in other ways.
By the end of the year though, I couldnt stand the sight of the place and I shot outta there as soon as school was over. But I'm glad I was there for first year.
oh and for housing I'd really recommend uptown near claiborn. Garden district seems closer until you get stuck in the st charles traffic a couple of times. PM me for more info

3)Tulane's awsome though I have nothing to compare it to. all I can say is that I'm happy and most others in our class are.

geromine said:
the guy going on a date and tumor starting in his brain and how we are destined to find and treat it, you guys remember that? that was one of the most memorable lectures I ever heard in my life. It was a hair raising moment.

I'm pretty sure that was the first lecture.

About Deming--I was advised by my student host to avoid it like the plague. But in retrospect I don't think it would have been a bad idea. The only real down side is that you can't just go home to get away from the school atmosphere. But you can't beat the covered parking, and the covered walkways all the way to class. Especially when it's pouring down rain.

the only 2 public schools you would be safe sending your kids to are lusher (uptown) and alice hart (algiers). you cant really go wrong with the catholic education, all are rather respectable. you seem to be steering clear of uptown etc. i would recomment looking at Algiers. Its on the west bank, right across the bridge from the city (probably about the same distance as to the uptown campus, very short commute). crime is low, the public primary school is top notch for around here and the a living is nicer and cheaper than other areas.

Hi-

Quick question for anyone who is currently at Tulane... I am wondering if it is better to purchase scrubs for anatomy from the SNMA sale, or to go online to find something..?

Thanks!

MD08

MD08 said:
Hi-

Quick question for anyone who is currently at Tulane... I am wondering if it is better to purchase scrubs for anatomy from the SNMA sale, or to go online to find something..?

Thanks!

MD08

If you're planning on throwing them out after anatomy, just buy the cheapest you can find. Be aware, though, that even first semester you may need a set of green scrubs to wear in the hospital (observing in the OR and/or ER). You can buy those at a decent price from the storeroom or the bookstore when you get here.

I got mine from the SNMA sale and found they weren't extremely comfortable. They weren't all cotton or something like that. I just went and picked up an extra pair from the bookstore and they were much better.

Thanks you two! This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for...

-MD08

I was the person who decided to get scrubs somewhere else b/c people said it was cheaper. Idon't think you can get cheaper scrubs than from this SN something sale. Plus who cares if they are uncomfortable... the ones in the bookstore are expensive. Get a pair from the bookstore for surgery observation and clinic.

Or you can find whoever has a stash of old scrubs from last year's anatomy. They might stink a bit but everything starts to smell like that when you give it time....even your bloody fingers...everyday your feel like you're eating crap after dissecting the abdomen. (yes literally)

Hey guys,

I am an incoming 1st year. How many pairs of scrubs will I need? I was thinking I would get my OR scrubs from the bookstore. Do I just need one pair? Also, how many pairs will I need for anatomy?

One last thing: about the white coat. I have not yet had a chance to go to a shop and try on a coat. If I generally wear a women's medium for shirts, would I get a women's medium for the coat. Or would I really actually need to try one on to know for sure?

Thx!

You will get a coat at the white coat ceremony. They're among the nicer short coats I've seen (and I've seen many of the ones that others schools give out). However, they are men's sizes, no matter what that online info form may lead you to believe. I wear an 8-10 in women's blouses, and I was swimming in my white coat before I had it altered.

Yeah the online form says I can pick between women's sizes and men's. They're all men's huh? Sounds like you and I are about the same size, what size of coat SHOULD you have had them get you? I need to submit the form by the 16th.

doctorbeans said:
Hey guys,

I am an incoming 1st year. How many pairs of scrubs will I need? I was thinking I would get my OR scrubs from the bookstore. Do I just need one pair? Also, how many pairs will I need for anatomy?
Thx!

At any one time, u'll be wearin one pair of scrubs. keep that in mind and the rest of ur decision makin will be easy. Last year we had anatomy lab everyother day but I dont know bout this year. So if you can wash the same pair everyday or just wear it straight through the year without washin, like some of our lovely classmates last year, then just get one pair. Buy only the light green scrubs as any other color is gonna be thrown out after anatomy while green scrubs can also be worn in surgerical observations etc.

Another note: cadavers will stink bad, really really bad and so will ur scrubs.

I might have been OK with a small, but I don't know for sure, since they are very boxy, and my hips are wider than my shoulders. You should go try on a men's small before making your final decision. Ditto above on washing the scrubs (and about the classmates who don't...there's one in every lab group!). I washed mine pretty much every couple of days, and then twice in hot water after it was over. I couldn't stand the smell, and it clings to everything your scrubs touch.

so it looks like Tulane didn't come through for me. I was sure i would end up in New Orleans next year. Even if I got a really late acceptance call I don't even know if I would take it. I just drove out to philadelphia and got an apartment today. Thanks for all the help.

Did any of you guys get in when placed on the "hold" interview list? I have 31/3.6....are those stats normal for the hold list?

I got on hella hold lists and I didn't get any further. They aren't that easy to get off of in my experience.

Hold for interview is MUCH different than being waitlisted. Basically, it means that your stats are good enough to interview, but there are too many other applicants more qualified than you. Or possibly there are applicants who MIGHT be more qualified, depending on their August MCAT, and they want to wait until they have all the information. Usually though, it's just a way to be less harsh about rejecting your application. (Speaking in general--I don't actually know anything about how Tulane picks people to interview, or what their criteria is for a hold letter vs a rejection. I'm just guessing based on my experience with other schools.)

I just got to New Orleans to start M1 at Tulane...and I have nothing to do until orientation Friday! If any of you are down here and want to go out, let me know! I feel like I should be spending these days wisely... :p