Current University of Illinois Chicago Students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun2run

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering the DPT class of 2020 at UIC and was wondering if any current students have advice on apartment hunting? Where do most students live? What's a good cost effective area that's near-ish to campus? Any information would be super helpful in finding a place to live downtown. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fun2run, I'm currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad at UIC and will be in the same DPT class as you! If you went to the open house, Jenna said that they will send the class roster by e-mail sometime in March, and possibly either they or someone from our class will make a FB page so we can talk about these issues, but I'll share some of my input. Based on my experience, I would first generally try to avoid the area west of Western Ave. My friend rented an apartment near western ave. for a semester, and I felt a bit suspicious of that area. Some of my friends live in the Little Italy/west loop area just north of 290, and although it's expensive, there's a lot of food places to check around there. I plan to commute from the NW suburbs near O'Hare, which is around a hour and 20 minute bus/train ride to west campus, but I'm used to it from doing this routine for the past 2 years. Living near Chicago is pretty expensive, and although it would be nice to live in Chicago, I feel that having my family's support and the money I can save is worth the commute. Do you have an idea of your budget?

Hey fun2run, I'm currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad at UIC and will be in the same DPT class as you! If you went to the open house, Jenna said that they will send the class roster by e-mail sometime in March, and possibly either they or someone from our class will make a FB page so we can talk about these issues, but I'll share some of my input. Based on my experience, I would first generally try to avoid the area west of Western Ave. My friend rented an apartment near western ave. for a semester, and I felt a bit suspicious of that area. Some of my friends live in the Little Italy/west loop area just north of 290, and although it's expensive, there's a lot of food places to check around there. I plan to commute from the NW suburbs near O'Hare, which is around a hour and 20 minute bus/train ride to west campus, but I'm used to it from doing this routine for the past 2 years. Living near Chicago is pretty expensive, and although it would be nice to live in Chicago, I feel that having my family's support and the money I can save is worth the commute. Do you have an idea of your budget?

Hey that's exciting that we'll soon be classmates! Ideally I would like to stay under $1400/month. I'll be living with one of my best friends who will be working downtown, so I definitely don't want to go over $700/month per person. I'm also from the Chicago suburbs but really want to experience city life, and personally I think the commute would be really tough since I'm not used to it at all. Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey that's exciting that we'll soon be classmates! Ideally I would like to stay under $1400/month. I'll be living with one of my best friends who will be working downtown, so I definitely don't want to go over $700/month per person. I'm also from the Chicago suburbs but really want to experience city life, and personally I think the commute would be really tough since I'm not used to it at all. Thanks so much for your input!

haven't been a student in a LONG time, but live the the northern Chicago 'burbs now. You could try looking in the Ukranian village - you might find something for $1400, and the commute wouldn't be too far for either you or your roommate.