Currently in Gap Year - Potential Reapplication Strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idioteque75

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Now that the admissions season is coming to an end with only 2 interviews/10 rejections out of 15 schools and no acceptances yet (still hopeful!), I'm preparing for a potential reapplication and would like some insight to my situation.

3.75c/3.7sgpa
CA resident
32Q (12/12/8V)
300 clinical hrs
700+ volunteer hrs (elementary/high school tutoring, community outreach, summer camp counselor)
1.5 yrs cancer research experience with increasing responsibility
Graduated with honors and chancellor's service award
Decent LOR's from 2 chem profs, honors prof, and fellow from research

I'm currently in my gap year working full time as a software engineer at a medical device company. Current ec's are tutoring high school students once a week and marathon running training (first one's coming up this weekend). My past research recently submitted a manuscript I'm co-author on, and have updated schools I'm still in consideration for.

I applied to a decent spread of MD schools (all UC's, NYMC, Rush, CMS, SUNY's, etc.)

Two red flags from this past app cycle are an 8 in verbal and a late application. I was verified at the end of August and complete at most schools by late September into October.

I was wondering if applying early (complete in July) along with my current activities/updates/LOR from current supervisor, current gpa/mcat, and new refreshed PS will be enough to garner more II's for next cycle. The 8 in verbal somewhat bothers me and tempted to retake in May, but I know conventional wisdom says to not retake a 32 with everything 8 or above. I would also like to know if there's other school's I should apply to the next time, like Tulane, Penn State, etc.

I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, looking at your stats makes my dream seem impossible, haha. I also ended up getting my applications complete between September-October. I guess the adage "the earlier the better" applies here. Also applying to more schools won't hurt anything (except maybe your wallet). Good luck! Hope you end up getting in this cycle!

Unfortunately, your stats are just average in CA. With 5000 in-state applicants and only around 800 going to IS applicants, your best bets are OOS. Make sure that you focus on OOS schools that might interview you (early!) next cycle and you should get enough interviews to receive an admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will fare well as a re applicant. Just apply really broadly out of state to a lot of mid range schools. I can review your PS if you are rewriting it.

Thanks for the input everyone. That 8 in verbal kind of trips me up but I suppose it will still be good enough for a reapplication cycle.

Hi all, just wanted some input regarding SMP programs while applying. For my situation is it wise to pursue an SMP that will lead to an interview or automatic matriculation? Or just keep going with a regular reapplication?

Also, any suggestions for school's to apply to this cycle? Mainly focusing on low and mid-tiers.

Thanks!

Your numbers are stellar and I'm surprised to see such poor luck, unless you applied very top heavy and your MCAT was the killer (32 is at the low end of acceptable for top-tier schools...avg for the UCs, for example, is 35-36.

You should contact the Admissions offices where you were rejected from and see if you can get some feedback.

Suggest applying to more mid-tier schools, even some low-tier ones. Think, Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Creighton, Tulane, Drexel Temple, etc. Also, don't go for far-away public OOS schools...stick close to home and the neighboring states for those. Public schools favor the home team.

Hi All,

Now that the admissions season is coming to an end with only 2 interviews/10 rejections out of 15 schools and no acceptances yet (still hopeful!), I'm preparing for a potential reapplication and would like some insight to my situation.

3.75c/3.7sgpa
CA resident
32Q (12/12/8V)
300 clinical hrs
700+ volunteer hrs (elementary/high school tutoring, community outreach, summer camp counselor)
1.5 yrs cancer research experience with increasing responsibility
Graduated with honors and chancellor's service award
Decent LOR's from 2 chem profs, honors prof, and fellow from research

I'm currently in my gap year working full time as a software engineer at a medical device company. Current ec's are tutoring high school students once a week and marathon running training (first one's coming up this weekend). My past research recently submitted a manuscript I'm co-author on, and have updated schools I'm still in consideration for.

I applied to a decent spread of MD schools (all UC's, NYMC, Rush, CMS, SUNY's, etc.)

Two red flags from this past app cycle are an 8 in verbal and a late application. I was verified at the end of August and complete at most schools by late September into October.

I was wondering if applying early (complete in July) along with my current activities/updates/LOR from current supervisor, current gpa/mcat, and new refreshed PS will be enough to garner more II's for next cycle. The 8 in verbal somewhat bothers me and tempted to retake in May, but I know conventional wisdom says to not retake a 32 with everything 8 or above. I would also like to know if there's other school's I should apply to the next time, like Tulane, Penn State, etc.

I appreciate your help!

Your numbers are stellar and I'm surprised to see such poor luck, unless you applied very top heavy and your MCAT was the killer (32 is at the low end of acceptable for top-tier schools...avg for the UCs, for example, is 35-36.

You should contact the Admissions offices where you were rejected from and see if you can get some feedback.

Suggest applying to more mid-tier schools, even some low-tier ones. Think, Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Creighton, Tulane, Drexel Temple, etc. Also, don't go for far-away public OOS schools...stick close to home and the neighboring states for those. Public schools favor the home team.

Thanks for the advise, I've been trying to get some feedback this week from Admissions offices and have gotten just general comments on applying early, and a low but not terrible verbal. I'm changing up my list for a mix of one's I applied to last year and new ones.

I'm wrapping up my personal statement and wondering if anyone here is willing to review and add any comments!

I think you will fare well as a re applicant. Just apply really broadly out of state to a lot of mid range schools. I can review your PS if you are rewriting it.

I'll be PMing you if you could still review my PS!