Curriculum at PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined782

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to the students of PCO,
I'm actually a re-applicant to PCO and this school is my top choice. I've heard SO many great things about PCO. My question is: as a student at PCO, what is the best way to study? How are the tests? Testing schedule? Anything else you would like to include about the school. Any advice and comment is helpful. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

the schedule is intense (8-5 usually), but it's managable. Although PCO squeezes more units into each semester compared to other schools, there's a very supportive atmosphere from the professors and students. im a 1st year and we're starting to have one (or two) exams per week, which is pretty okay if you keep up with your work. There's always little things due here and there but again if you manage your time right then it should be no problem. in general, everyone (myself included) is very happy about their decision to attend PCO (now salus). g'luck!

I too heard fantastic things about PCO.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,
quick question if you dont mind can I ask what where ur states the first time that u did not get accepted? Also, is PCO was the only school you had applied to orginally or was there other schools that also did not accept you because my stats are pretty low and I wanted to know what school would accept me. Its my first time applying to optometry school.

Thanks

hey,
quick question if you dont mind can I ask what where ur states the first time that u did not get accepted? Also, is PCO was the only school you had applied to orginally or was there other schools that also did not accept you because my stats are pretty low and I wanted to know what school would accept me. Its my first time applying to optometry school.

Thanks

Well the thing is that I entered my undergrad with the intention to go to Med school (so i was pre-med major), but very soon I realized that med school was not conducive to the other personal goals i had set for myself. so i started neglecting my science classes. (i think you can agree with me in that if you don't have the proper motivation to understand and engage in a subject material, you will not perform well esp when it is science. So I doubled.
Then when I realized I wanted to do optometry, i enrolled in upper division science courses to increase my science gpa (this was recommended by the schools). My current gpa (only post bac work) is 3.42 and my oats (i took them in 2007) are aa 350 ts 360.
the reason I'm a reapplicant is because when i applied last year, the committee only had my oat to go on. so they waited for my fall grades to come in to offer me an interview and waited for my spring grades to put me on the wait list. you know that by that time, the class is pretty much full and set.
don't get discouraged, I am not upset I didn't make it because I finally found something I really really want to do. so I hope this helps, best of luck and hang in there. :)

the schedule is intense (8-5 usually), but it's managable. Although PCO squeezes more units into each semester compared to other schools, there's a very supportive atmosphere from the professors and students. im a 1st year and we're starting to have one (or two) exams per week, which is pretty okay if you keep up with your work. There's always little things due here and there but again if you manage your time right then it should be no problem. in general, everyone (myself included) is very happy about their decision to attend PCO (now salus). g'luck!

Thank you for your input. This is what I hear about PCO too. Also, I've spoken to alumni from PCO and they expressed how difficult it was to be a student, but they don't regret their decision at all because they know how well qualified they are due to being challenged at PCO. Also during my interview, I had a chance to speak to a few students and they do seem very supportive of each other and pleased to be there. Another question: how do you find it most helpful to study? What about your experiences in the clinic?

Does anyone else think it's slightly redic PCO's tuition with supplies is over 30k for first year, even more so with NECO, 1st yr at ohio nonresident is 47k, wtf? am i the only one who thinks state schools for residents is the only affordable option, yes i know most states dont have state schools for their residents.

For the people in PCO, is there a HUGE issue in getting transportation to the clinic from the school if you do not have a vehicle ?

Thank you for your input. This is what I hear about PCO too. Also, I've spoken to alumni from PCO and they expressed how difficult it was to be a student, but they don't regret their decision at all because they know how well qualified they are due to being challenged at PCO. Also during my interview, I had a chance to speak to a few students and they do seem very supportive of each other and pleased to be there. Another question: how do you find it most helpful to study? What about your experiences in the clinic?

You'll hear this all the time. Everyone's study habits vary greatly - some get by with studying the night before (but they usually don't get the As), but for the majority of us, myself included, it's best to study everyday to make sure you're caught up with your materials (you can afford to take a day off, maybe two out of the week). Personally, I study in 2 hour blocks at different locations (school library, coffee shops, etc etc). Say from 6-8, 8:30-10:30p, then head on home to get some rest. It's not always a 8-5 schedule so you'll get a afternoon off here and there.

gochi said:
For the people in PCO, is there a HUGE issue in getting transportation to the clinic from the school if you do not have a vehicle ?

YES. i guess that's one of the few cons of PCO. unless you plan on carpooling with your buddies all the time, YOU NEED A CAR!!! The clinic is located where the school used to be many years ago (in the ghettos), which is about 10 minutes away from PCO's current campus. However, this will give you the opportunity to see patients with all kinds of ocular problems. For example, during my first clinical experiece, I observed a 71 yr old diabetic patient who has hypertention, a developing cataract and a bunch of other general health and eye problems.

You'll hear this all the time. Everyone's study habits vary greatly - some get by with studying the night before (but they usually don't get the As), but for the majority of us, myself included, it's best to study everyday to make sure you're caught up with your materials (you can afford to take a day off, maybe two out of the week). Personally, I study in 2 hour blocks at different locations (school library, coffee shops, etc etc). Say from 6-8, 8:30-10:30p, then head on home to get some rest. It's not always a 8-5 schedule so you'll get a afternoon off here and there.

YES. i guess that's one of the few cons of PCO. unless you plan on carpooling with your buddies all the time, YOU NEED A CAR!!! The clinic is located where the school used to be many years ago (in the ghettos), which is about 10 minutes away from PCO's current campus. However, this will give you the opportunity to see patients with all kinds of ocular problems. For example, during my first clinical experiece, I observed a 71 yr old diabetic patient who has hypertention, a developing cataract and a bunch of other general health and eye problems.

How do the labs run? After labs, are there reports that have to be turned in or are the labs mostly you-learn-on-your-own-time kind-of a thing? I'm going to be honest, one the things I dreaded most about under-grad was LAB REPORTS!! (What a waste of time!) And as far as housing is concerned, does it make more sense to buy a place or rent? Would you say that PCO is pretty strong in Ocular Disease? As a first year, how have your experiences been in the clinic? I know you must be pretty busy, so I really appreciate that you take the time out to answer my questions, but they are really helpful. :)

"I'm going to be honest, one the things I dreaded most about under-grad was LAB REPORTS!! (What a waste of time!)"

I second that, lab reports are a waste of time, completely unnecessarily time consuming!

How do the labs run? After labs, are there reports that have to be turned in or are the labs mostly you-learn-on-your-own-time kind-of a thing? I'm going to be honest, one the things I dreaded most about under-grad was LAB REPORTS!! (What a waste of time!) And as far as housing is concerned, does it make more sense to buy a place or rent? Would you say that PCO is pretty strong in Ocular Disease? As a first year, how have your experiences been in the clinic? I know you must be pretty busy, so I really appreciate that you take the time out to answer my questions, but they are really helpful. :)

Im with you on this one. I thought that the lab classes at pco (i don't know about other schools) would be just like undergrad - prelabs, write ups, post labs etc etc. Im happy to say that the labs here are REALLLLLY CHILL. you will have to learn how to perform certain tasks for practicals (lab exams) but there are little to no lab reports that you'll have to write (...yet?). If you don't feel confident after lab, you can always go back to the labs on "open lab hours" to practice whatever you need, and there'd be TAs there to help you with it.

Housing. Buy a place? i don't think you'd want to invest your money on property here, and at this time. most people rent an apartment, and some rent a house (which i heard is a nightmare - go for the apartments, and don't live in the colonade - people will tell you how the colonade is OKAY/NICE etc etc. they're lying, don't do it).

Ocular Disease. honestly I have no idea. But I know in our 2nd and 3rd years we take classes specifically dealing with ocular disease. Even in biochem and anatomy right now there are alot of ocular diseases being incorporated into our lectures (clinical correlates) so you don't feel like you're learning useless stuff all over again.

Thanks for all your answers. If you don't mind, i'm going to keep asking you questions as they pop up in my head. =) Right now, i'm just getting really anxious b/c it's finally the end of the month and now the school will be inviting people to interview. i just hope i get some positive news in the mail (keeping my fingers crossed..has this ever worked for anyone? what other silly superstitious things should i be doing. LOL!)