curriculum at penn, cornell, davis, tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the curriculum (aka a detailed outline) at Penn, Tufts, Cornell, and Davis? I would really like to see how the schedule is broken down as well as a list of elective courses offered. I have scoured the websites and haven't come up with much. Cornell gives a basic outline online but no info on the electives. Penn gave out that one sheet at the interview and that's it. I haven't been able to find much of anything in print on Davis and Tufts. I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For Davis, it's all internal....I'll try to PM you some info later, but maybe call admissions and ask them if they can email you something.

I have a PDF from 2005-2006 called the Davis curriculum handbook. It's obviously not up to date - the new curriculum info is online html-based, and you need a password for it. Maybe current students could give more info abotu how the curriculum has changed. give me your email and I'll send it to you - it's too big to post, unfortunately.

It does have electives offered, including description and professor, and detail about scheduling breakdown and graduation requirements...

OK, I managed to split the file into smaller parts. Here's the curriculum for 1st-3rd year, without course descriptions (just names).

Attachments

• UCdavis curriculum1st year through 3rd no descriptions.pdf
    172.6 KB · Views: 159
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's descriptions of core and elective courses

Attachments

• Core course descriptions UCdavis curriculum.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 167
  • Elective course descriptions UC Davis curriculum.pdf
    80.6 KB · Views: 216
Here's descriptions of 4th year and tracks

Attachments

• 4th year and Tracks UC Davis Curriculum.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 170
Summary of tracking stuff and extra tables

Attachments

• Summary and tables of tracks UC Davis curriculum.pdf
    191.5 KB · Views: 154
What Hoodle posted is pretty much accurate...some of the listed professors have changed due to retirement, etc.

As for curriculum stuff, Davis has three "requirements" to graduate, a medicine requirement, a radiology requirement and a reproduction requirement. Radiology is broken into SA and LA, and the other two are small/food/equine. You have to complete either 2 level 1 medicines (basically three quarters from two different areas) or a level 1 and a level 2 (one extra quarter). For example, I'll be fulfilling my medicine requirement with SA level 1 and 2, so I have SA medicine spring quarter sophomore year through to spring quarter junior year. I'll probably audit/take at least one other medicine.

From talking with a Cornell person last weekend, their classes are not split their first year; therefore, they have one gigantic test at 16 weeks to cover all of it. They also said something about not having LA anatomy (unless you opted to take it as an elective class). Those may be a little off, so if a current Cornell kiddo knows better I'm sure they'll speak up. Those were just the 2 things that caught my attention.

For Tufts, this should give you an idea of the courses we take each year:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/academic/organization.html

And here is the fourth year clinical rotation schedule:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/academic/rotations.html

For more detail, I'm sure if you called or emailed the admissions office, they'd put you in touch with whomever could best help you. There's a lot more internal stuff (detailed schedules for each year by week) that someone might get to you if you asked.

Good luck!

researchvet - there's a long post on the Penn thread that has all the core and elective classes at UPenn... just thought you might want to know!