Curriculum Vitae Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have seen people put that type of thing on their CVs as professional development or something similar, FWIW. I wouldn't risk it as a grad student/post doc/young faculty member, though.

I have a fairly long continuing education section on my CV. I have been in the field for a 20 years and am in my late 40's. I keep debating about whether to keep it in my CV when I apply for internship, to pare it back somehow, or leave it in. I don't want to be seen as pretentious but I also want to present myself accurately.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about listing previous paid/volunteer research experiences.
I have been a part of three different labs as a research assistant and I've been paid at two and volunteered at one.
Is it necessary to indicate this on my CV? :confused:
Some have advised that having a "paid" position may be looked as more favourable than a volunteer position, but I don't know if that is really the case and how to note that on my CV.

Thanks!

Need opinions on two areas:

1. I have one position that was both clinical and research focused. On my CV, I have clinical and research experience under different sections. Should I list this is both sections, leave it under clinical (where it is now), or merge the clinical and research sections into one?

2. When printing a CV, is it okay to print double-sided? It seems that single-sided is the old school way, wondering if the eco-friendly way is acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another CV question. I have a terminal MA in a psych field, but now that I'm enrolled in a PhD program I will earn another MA (in a different psych field). Do I put both on my CV or just list my first one and then the PhD??

Last edited:
Since grad school I have listed out my research labs/projects under Research Experience, though I'm struggling with how much detail to include, as it is really eating up space. I have been part of half a dozen labs/groups in the past 12 years, and I have 2 current projects I need to list, so it is a chunk of space. I also have a Professional Presentations / Publications section on my CV that represents what I did in those labs. How much detail to people go into in these sections?

I'm early career and I'm currently applying to clinical faculty positions in academic medicine, so my CV shouldn't be 7+ pages. I'm hoping to just have a Title for each lab, and maybe 1-2 lines describing what I did and another line to list of PI/Co-PI people involved in each lab. Thoughts?

Since grad school I have listed out my research labs/projects under Research Experience, though I'm struggling with how much detail to include, as it is really eating up space. I have been part of half a dozen labs/groups in the past 12 years, and I have 2 current projects I need to list, so it is a chunk of space. I also have a Professional Presentations / Publications section on my CV that represents what I did in those labs. How much detail to people go into in these sections?

I'm early career and I'm currently applying to clinical faculty positions in academic medicine, so my CV shouldn't be 7+ pages. I'm hoping to just have a Title for each lab, and maybe 1-2 lines describing what I did and another line to list of PI/Co-PI people involved in each lab. Thoughts?

Yes that is what I recommend. But I wouldn't short-change yourself at all. Be sure to list all of the lab experiences and at least mention any highlights from each lab.

It is tough at this stage of the game being kind of "in between" where you want to present all of your great skills and experiences but don't want to pad. I have been chopping my CV down ever since I got to my postdoc. You can really cut the CV down once you secure a job you plan to be at for awhile.

It is tough at this stage of the game being kind of "in between" where you want to present all of your great skills and experiences but don't want to pad. I have been chopping my CV down ever since I got to my postdoc. You can really cut the CV down once you secure a job you plan to be at for awhile.

I can't wait for this....to be at a place where I don't know the exact day I'll be leaving: internship, post-doc, etc.

While it might be slightly less important for clinical faculty, if there will be anyone with a significant research background reviewing your CV (I assume there will in academic medicine), make sure you split up pubs and presentations. You might be already, but it was unclear from your post.

I've heard from several different people across a few different institutions that this makes people look like they have no idea about research, since the review process for presentations and publications are just not comparable and one pub is generally worth more than any number of conference presentations, and a lifetimes worth of posters. Same deal with people listing "abstracts" as publications. Again, probably less important for clinical faculty, but if the structure there is anything like ours - clinical faculty are still typically at least "somewhat" involved in research, and many of the administrative folks making hiring decisions are straddling both realms.

While it might be slightly less important for clinical faculty, if there will be anyone with a significant research background reviewing your CV (I assume there will in academic medicine), make sure you split up pubs and presentations. You might be already, but it was unclear from your post.

I've heard from several different people across a few different institutions that this makes people look like they have no idea about research, since the review process for presentations and publications are just not comparable and one pub is generally worth more than any number of conference presentations, and a lifetimes worth of posters. Same deal with people listing "abstracts" as publications. Again, probably less important for clinical faculty, but if the structure there is anything like ours - clinical faculty are still typically at least "somewhat" involved in research, and many of the administrative folks making hiring decisions are straddling both realms.
+1 to this. Listing posters or published abstracts as publications comes off as CV padding. Side-note: European universities make people list the impact factor of the journal after every publication!