curriculum vitae

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copacetic

Copacetic Was Here!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question. im putting a CV together, would it hurt to put a table of contents in with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question. im putting a CV together, would it hurt to put a table of contents in with it?

Well... while there is nothing wrong with a table of contents, if you need a table of contents, you are probably doing it wrong. The traditional wisdom is to aim to have your CV be 1-2 pages long. Naturally, a 2 page document does not need a table of contents.

im talking about an academic CV not your traditional resume...The CV can be dozens of pages long in some instances

Most people posting here apparently have no idea what a CV is. Your CV is as long as it needs to be - mine is 3 pages, some of my research mentors' are 15. Sol Snyder's, if he kept his updated, would probably be 50 pages. And that's OK.

If you're a medical student, I guarantee you haven't accomplished enough to make a table of contents. :rolleyes:

finally a sensible answer. im surprised that so many here dont know what an academic CV is, or what it entails.

finally a sensible answer. im surprised that so many here dont know what an academic CV is, or what it entails.

I would not jump to the conclusion that people don't know what an academic CV is just because they hold a point of view different from yours. Or at least I would try to not be so obviously snarky about it.

In fact, there is no universal consensus about how long an academic CV should be and whether it should include every single publication and poster presentation you have ever done. Sure, some people put everything on theirs, and after a few years in academia, 'everything' may well stretch into double digit page numbers. Others put 'selected publications' and 'key positions' instead of every little thing.

Realistically, whatever position you are applying to is probably looking only for certain characteristics, and you would be well served to tailor your CV to the position rather than dilute the relevant experience. Say, you are applying for a job as a research fellow at a stem cell lab. You definitely want to include any basic science research experience you have on there. Do you need to include that you were also an admissions committee member? And that you are ACLS certified? And your poster presentation on violence prevention in the ER? You may say 'it can't hurt', and that's a reasonable point of view. Or you may think about how 'focused' your academic career will appear to a subjective evaluator.

Most people posting here apparently have no idea what a CV is. Your CV is as long as it needs to be - mine is 3 pages, some of my research mentors' are 15. Sol Snyder's, if he kept his updated, would probably be 50 pages. And that's OK.

If you're a medical student, I guarantee you haven't accomplished enough to make a table of contents. :rolleyes:

I used to plan CME meetings and once had a speaker whose CV was well over 100 pages. And, no, there wasn't a table of contents. Categories are labeled and the format is standardized so no need for anything else.

I used to plan CME meetings and once had a speaker whose CV was well over 100 pages. And, no, there wasn't a table of contents. Categories are labeled and the format is standardized so no need for anything else.
+1.

Have seen lots of CVs in medicine that were ridiculously long (25/50/75+ pages) and never saw one with a table of contents.

Members don't see this ad :)
No TOC. A CV is as long as it needs to be. If you're summarizing in a page or two and tailoring it to the position, you're probably writing a resume.

If I write a long letter to someone, should I include a table of contents?

No table of contents, no matter how long. Done deal, you have your answer.

I would not jump to the conclusion that people don't know what an academic CV is just because they hold a point of view different from yours. Or at least I would try to not be so obviously snarky about it.

In fact, there is no universal consensus about how long an academic CV should be and whether it should include every single publication and poster presentation you have ever done. Sure, some people put everything on theirs, and after a few years in academia, 'everything' may well stretch into double digit page numbers. Others put 'selected publications' and 'key positions' instead of every little thing.

Realistically, whatever position you are applying to is probably looking only for certain characteristics, and you would be well served to tailor your CV to the position rather than dilute the relevant experience. Say, you are applying for a job as a research fellow at a stem cell lab. You definitely want to include any basic science research experience you have on there. Do you need to include that you were also an admissions committee member? And that you are ACLS certified? And your poster presentation on violence prevention in the ER? You may say 'it can't hurt', and that's a reasonable point of view. Or you may think about how 'focused' your academic career will appear to a subjective evaluator.

No, you're absolutely wrong. Your points are good with regards to resumes, but do not apply at all to academic CVs.

~Kalyx

Last edited:
i still dont get why some people here find this so funny.

You know the bit where Conan does the "nerd voice twiddling his fingers together" thing? That's what I imagine when I think of someone asking that question.

You know the bit where Conan does the "nerd voice twiddling his fingers together" thing? That's what I imagine when I think of someone asking that question.

I do not know that bit. i have no idea what you are talking about

:confused: My page 5 is dedicated to the dates and times of every interest group meeting I attended and what food was served.

you absolutely most definitely need a table of contents then.

Table of Contents:
Post 26 - Monday, April 25, 2011.

-------------

No.

Having researched it a little more, it appears your are right. Glad I learned something new. My apologies for jumping in with wrong information.

Hey, we all learn something new. :) Academic CVs are really kind of a bizarre document in telling our histories of "production," involvement, academic and professional achievements, yada yada. Resumes, on the other hand, are to be tailored to the position at hand and I think you're right in that a lot of students, in particular undergraduate students, miss that point, and so end up including a lot of extraneous info that just dilutes the resume. Building good CVs and tailored resumes is a skill that is too infrequently taught during college!

~Kalyx

im surprised by how much traffic this is generating

im surprised by how much traffic this is generating

Ha, it actually doesn't surprise me! CVs are these weird documents that nobody really learns officially how to put together, yet come medical school we're expected to have them prepared to give out to potential research mentors, evaluators for letters of rec, etc. I honestly think a lot of students find them very confusing, myself included.

~Kalyx

good info kalyx... can you tell me, how do we as med students tell when to give someone the CV or a tailored resume??

good info kalyx... can you tell me, how do we as med students tell when to give someone the CV or a tailored resume??

Good question. It depends on what kind of opportunity you're looking for. If you're hoping to pick up a part-time job during med school, then a tailored resume might be most appropriate (unless, say, you're going to work as a research coordinator, in which case the PI or supervisor might request a CV and probably the IRB will need a copy of your CV). If you want to do something research-related or that otherwise involves some sort of experiential learning, a CV is the better choice. The rule of thumb is that anything "academic" should make you get out your CV.

When I contact physicians to shadow or see if I can meet them to talk about their careers, research, etc., I always send a copy of my CV, which they appreciate. As long as it's well-formatted and well-organized, they can get a sense of who I am and what my career trajectory is. If you're not sure how to format your CV, I'd recommend sitting down with a mentor to get a good, personalized opinion, or you could go to any kind of career services center at your school (if it's not publicized through the med school, check with the undergrads. Career services centers are usually situated on the undergraduate-dominated parts of campus, but also serve graduate students).

Hope that was somewhat helpful!

~Kalyx

Good question. It depends on what kind of opportunity you're looking for. If you're hoping to pick up a part-time job during med school, then a tailored resume might be most appropriate (unless, say, you're going to work as a research coordinator, in which case the PI or supervisor might request a CV and probably the IRB will need a copy of your CV). If you want to do something research-related or that otherwise involves some sort of experiential learning, a CV is the better choice. The rule of thumb is that anything "academic" should make you get out your CV.

When I contact physicians to shadow or see if I can meet them to talk about their careers, research, etc., I always send a copy of my CV, which they appreciate. As long as it's well-formatted and well-organized, they can get a sense of who I am and what my career trajectory is. If you're not sure how to format your CV, I'd recommend sitting down with a mentor to get a good, personalized opinion, or you could go to any kind of career services center at your school (if it's not publicized through the med school, check with the undergrads. Career services centers are usually situated on the undergraduate-dominated parts of campus, but also serve graduate students).

Hope that was somewhat helpful!

~Kalyx
thank you! i have been told my CV is well-organized and formatted.. i have that down. but i send that to everyone. thank goodness so far i havent needed to make a resume since i've sent it only to the types of things you've described. :)