Systems Based Curriculum Course Order?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnq2020UAMS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actively involved in the curriculum meetings at my medical school. We have a systems based pre-clinical education. This year they recently moved some of the systems around and it made me curious what other programs are doing. Most med school websites have a very vague curriculum map laid out with little specific on the order of the content. What is the order of courses at your schools?

UAMS as of 2020 (no courses overlap):

M1 Fall:
Human Structure (Anatomy)
Molecules to Cells (Biochem, Cell Bio, & Genetics combined)

M1 Spring:
Hematology/Oncology
Disease and Defense (immunology and micro combined)
Brain and Behavior (Neuro and Psych combined)

M2 Fall:
Cardiovascular
Pulmonology
Renal
GI/Nutrition (Basically GI and Liver)

M2 Spring:
Endocrine/Repro
Musculoskeletal and Skin
Medicine Across Generations (a wrap-up/summary course for multi system processes)
Step Dedicated study period

The following content is longitudinal across all modules and covered in these system modules: pathology, pharmacology, histology, embryology, and micro
Then Biostats/Epidemiology is taught longitudinally but outside of the system modules (part of our Practice of Medicine course).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actively involved in the curriculum meetings at my medical school. We have a systems based pre-clinical education. This year they recently moved some of the systems around and it made me curious what other programs are doing. Most med school websites have a very vague curriculum map laid out with little specific on the order of the content. What is the order of courses at your schools?

UAMS as of 2020 (no courses overlap):

M1 Fall:
Human Structure (Anatomy)
Molecules to Cells (Biochem, Cell Bio, & Genetics combined)

M1 Spring:
Hematology/Oncology
Disease and Defense (immunology and micro combined)
Brain and Behavior (Neuro and Psych combined)

M2 Fall:
Cardiovascular
Pulmonology
Renal
GI/Nutrition (Basically GI and Liver)

M2 Spring:
Endocrine/Repro
Musculoskeletal and Skin
Medicine Across Generations (a wrap-up/summary course for multi system processes)
Step Dedicated study period

The following content is longitudinal across all modules and covered in these system modules: pathology, pharmacology, histology, embryology, and micro
Then Biostats/Epidemiology is taught longitudinally but outside of the system modules (part of our Practice of Medicine course).

IMG here
Ihad a subject based curriculum instead of systems based (thank god). My Uni recently switched to systems based and this is their new curriculum:

MS1: Math, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Ethics, Behavioral

MS2
1st Semester: Neuro and Muskuloskeletal
2nd Semester:Cardiovascular, Hematology, Immunology

MS3
1st Semester: Gastrointestinal/Nutrition, Respiratory
2nd Semester: Edocrine/Repro, Renal

Longitudinal MS2 and MS3: Stats, Epidemiology, Microbiology, Parasitology and Molecular Biology, Clinical Skills

I graduated with:

MS2
The "normal body": Cytohistology, Anatomy, Biochem, Physiology, Immunology

MS3
The "diseased body": Pathology, Microbiology, Parasitology, Pharmacology

Longitudinal MS3 and MS4: Clinical skills, Stats, Molecular biology

I'm not sure how it's mostly handled worldwide. But what i've heard from the systems curriculum at my Uni is that students "sacrifice" the hard subjects.
Physiology was the hardest course we had. New students are now disregarding it and aiming to score high in anatomy, semiology, pharm, histology, etc of each system to compensate. At the end they are just gimping their own education...

little do they know that they will start reporting individual subject grades in the transcripts. Right now it looks something like

Gastro:
Physio - 20/100
Anatomy - 80/100
Biochem/Histo - 85/100
Pharm -75/100
Semiology: 90/100

Total - 70/100
And it counts as passed...

MS1: Starts with some fluff stuff followed by biochem, basic molecular, cells, anatomy (mostly thorax)
Then immunology/basic micro
Followed by Cardio, pulm, renal as 1 big block

MS2:
Starts with more anatomy (mostly abdominal) and genetics
GI, endocrine, repro in 1 block
Neuro, psych, skin/soft tissue/bone in block 2

Members don't see this ad :)
OMS 1:
- foundations block (biochem, genetics, micro, immunology, virology)
- msk (gross anatomy, musculoskeletal physiology and some path
- cardio, respiratory, heme
- gi
- endo/repro
- renal
- neurology
- public health (epidemiology & biostats)
All blocks after msk start with anatomy & embryo, then physiology, then basic pathology/histology. Pathology is covered more in depth 2nd year. Longitudinal courses include OMM, ethics and patient centered medicine.

OMS-2:
-heme/onc
- ortho/rheum/derm
- cardio/pulm
- renal
- gastro
- endocrinology
- women’s health
- neuro/psych/optho
- peds
- geriatrics
Longitudinal courses are OMM, patient centered medicine and medical jurisprudence. 2nd year focuses mostly on pathology, diagnosis & treatment

They recently revised the curriculum for my school, and now it looks something like this:

M1 Fall
Foundational Science
Immuno/Micro/Heme-Onc
Musculoskeletal + Derm

M1 Spring
Neuro
Psych
Cardio
Pulmonary

M2 Fall
GI
Renal