Curve on Recent NBMEs vs Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else worried about the curve on Step 1 will be compared to how the curves on recent NBMEs have been? I've only taken NBME 17 so far, and even though I did make a lot of silly mistakes and can see why that NBME would be considered more straight forward, I was surprised that 85% correct was equivalent to a 225. I've heard that the curve for other recent NBMEs has been similar.

Do you guys think the actual Step will be curved similarly? I would normally think getting 85% of the questions correct would be great but now I'm starting to freak out!

Sorry if this has been discussed before! I haven't been on SDN much since starting medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got almost the same score on NBME 17 and also couldn't believe that I scored so well (84.5%) and then I saw the 223... ouch. It was a big improvement for me but still, I'd be more confident if it was over a 230. My exam is in a few days, maybe I can offer some help to future test takers when I receive my score next month. The curve seems ridiculously hard on these NBMEs. :(

When is your exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else worried about the curve on Step 1 will be compared to how the curves on recent NBMEs have been? I've only taken NBME 17 so far, and even though I did make a lot of silly mistakes and can see why that NBME would be considered more straight forward, I was surprised that 85% correct was equivalent to a 225. I've heard that the curve for other recent NBMEs has been similar.

Do you guys think the actual Step will be curved similarly? I would normally think getting 85% of the questions correct would be great but now I'm starting to freak out!

Sorry if this has been discussed before! I haven't been on SDN much since starting medical school.
From what I understand, NBMEs have harsher curves than the real thing. I would think an 85% correct on the real thing would put you in position for a 235+ but this is all speculation.

I got almost the same score on NBME 17 and also couldn't believe that I scored so well (84.5%) and then I saw the 223... ouch. It was a big improvement for me but still, I'd be more confident if it was over a 230. My exam is in a few days, maybe I can offer some help to future test takers when I receive my score next month. The curve seems ridiculously hard on these NBMEs. :(

When is your exam?

Yeah I definitely felt the same way! Mine is in a little over a week. Good luck! I'm really hoping the real thing isn't as harsh

Reactions: 1 users
From what I understand, NBMEs have harsher curves than the real thing. I would think an 85% correct on the real thing would put you in position for a 235+ but this is all speculation.

I really do hope you're right! I'm aiming for around 240+ so that would be great haha