Step I Curve on Recent NBMEs vs Step 1

Started by florida91
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

florida91

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else worried about the curve on Step 1 will be compared to how the curves on recent NBMEs have been? I've only taken NBME 17 so far, and even though I did make a lot of silly mistakes and can see why that NBME would be considered more straight forward, I was surprised that 85% correct was equivalent to a 225. I've heard that the curve for other recent NBMEs has been similar.

Do you guys think the actual Step will be curved similarly? I would normally think getting 85% of the questions correct would be great but now I'm starting to freak out!

Sorry if this has been discussed before! I haven't been on SDN much since starting medical school.
 
I got almost the same score on NBME 17 and also couldn't believe that I scored so well (84.5%) and then I saw the 223... ouch. It was a big improvement for me but still, I'd be more confident if it was over a 230. My exam is in a few days, maybe I can offer some help to future test takers when I receive my score next month. The curve seems ridiculously hard on these NBMEs. 🙁

When is your exam?
 
Is anyone else worried about the curve on Step 1 will be compared to how the curves on recent NBMEs have been? I've only taken NBME 17 so far, and even though I did make a lot of silly mistakes and can see why that NBME would be considered more straight forward, I was surprised that 85% correct was equivalent to a 225. I've heard that the curve for other recent NBMEs has been similar.

Do you guys think the actual Step will be curved similarly? I would normally think getting 85% of the questions correct would be great but now I'm starting to freak out!

Sorry if this has been discussed before! I haven't been on SDN much since starting medical school.
From what I understand, NBMEs have harsher curves than the real thing. I would think an 85% correct on the real thing would put you in position for a 235+ but this is all speculation.
 
I got almost the same score on NBME 17 and also couldn't believe that I scored so well (84.5%) and then I saw the 223... ouch. It was a big improvement for me but still, I'd be more confident if it was over a 230. My exam is in a few days, maybe I can offer some help to future test takers when I receive my score next month. The curve seems ridiculously hard on these NBMEs. 🙁

When is your exam?

Yeah I definitely felt the same way! Mine is in a little over a week. Good luck! I'm really hoping the real thing isn't as harsh