Curve PCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madawi26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether or not the PCAT scores are curved at all? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is the whole point of scoring in percentiles. The entire test is graded on a curve and you are given a percentile based on where you landed on the curve.

First time PCAT test taker here and I didn't know it was scored in percentiles. Thanks for the helpful response, Einstein. Can you tell me the meaning of the integral of the curve too?

Okay kids, the PCAT is scored using two sets of numbers. One set is a scaled score, and no one, not even Harcourt knows how they come up with that number. The other score is a percentage, which ranks you against everyone else who took it that go round. Say you make a 75%. That means you did better than 75 percent of the people that took it that time. And that's usually the score that everybody look at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay kids, the PCAT is scored using two sets of numbers. One set is a scaled score, and no one, not even Harcourt knows how they come up with that number. The other score is a percentage, which ranks you against everyone else who took it that go round. Say you make a 75%. That means you did better than 75 percent of the people that took it that time. And that's usually the score that everybody look at.
wrong wrong wrong

So whats right right right?

I suppose this:

"In addition to the multiple-choice subtest scaled scores, your personal Score Report will list five subtest percentiles and a Composite percentile. The percentile score shown on your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003—with scaled scores lower than yours. For example, an examinee who earns a Composite percentile score of 70 scored higher than 70 percent of the examinees from the norm group on the test as a whole. No percentile is reported for the Writing subtest."

Your percentile rank falls against a norm group of test takers from 98-03, which I've always thought to be odd since they have since changed the test, but I imagine the statistics are probably still identical.