Cushiest specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha . It’s so funny , but the thought of living in the city is my worst nightmare . I want 5 acres in the depth of Virginia

My personal preference is to live near a large metro (within an hour is fine for me) but not necessarily in it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is psych easiest residency if you enjoy it compared to others?

after all the schooling loans and nights of studying no sleep and having (almost) no life for most of my twenties and part of my 30s anything less than 300 doesnt sound good to me at all but thats just me. everyones different
I hear you buddy. I feel the same way.

That’s why I’m planning on having a life outside of med school.

No amount of money can really “make up” for the time you lose in med school.

Everyone talks about the financial opportunity costs of loans, but no one ever mentions the life/social opportunity costs. They’re equally important and should not be neglected, else you’ll turn into a jaded doc.

I just hope I don’t “fall in love” with plastics or neurosurgery, no way am I trying to be resident for that long.

Psych is the least cushy specialty, please don’t apply! Yes, I am trying to eliminate the competition, lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think any field of medicine is cushy these days. Many fields have one or two things someone could point to and say "look at how easy that job is" but really I think all docs are being pushed to do more and more by decreasing reimbursement and increasing expectations/charting.

Reactions: 1 user
Chasing money overall is worse, yes. It's the primary motivator of the worst the world has to offer.
Only people with money say things like this. When you’re rich, moneys not a thing. When you’re poor, money is everything.

Reactions: 6 users
Only people with money say things like this. When you’re rich, moneys not a thing. When you’re poor, money is everything.
I have never had money. My comment is in regards to physicians making millions and who place that income paramount in their lives.

Opinion about income is an subjective thing. People here are complaining about doctors who want to make millions but are OK with an arbitrary number like 200k. Why even 200k? Take even lower if you so desire.
There is nothing wrong with an ambitious physician who wants to be extremely successful and high-earning. That's their life and their choice. As long as they are within legal and moral limits and are not ordering unnecessary tests or doing unnecessary procedures, they can earn how much ever their ability and market demands permits.

Reactions: 3 users
*gasp* even moving to the suburbs?!? If it ain't within the NYC or LA city limits it ain't worth it on SDN
Consider this - move out of NYC if you can’t afford it

I agree that 300k if you want that doctah life won’t fly in NYC. Then you have to re-evaluate either your lifestyle or your location
Some people care about their families and what to stay close. I hope your mom enjoys her state of the art nursing home as you enjoy your mansion in wisconsin.

• Wow
Is psych easiest residency if you enjoy it compared to others?
This depends on what type of easy you’re talking about.

If you’re talking about lifestyle in residency, this also depends on the program. Some of the least time intensive residencies are probably in psychiatry. Some of the more intense academic psychiatry programs will have hours more akin to an average internal medicine residency (but usually better hours compared to medicine residents within the same institution).

A lot of the frustration with hours/workflow in psych (or at least for me) come from the fact that a greater proportion of the unpredictability in your schedule can feel dumb/unnecessary.

Some people care about their families and what to stay close. I hope your mom enjoys her state of the art nursing home as you enjoy your mansion in wisconsin.
You do realize that suburbs aren't that far away right? There's these wonderful things called trains and cars and they take you wherever you want to go!!

Also kinda a dick move bringing up my mother? and insinuating I don't care about my family? Damn man seems a bit excessive for mentioning that you can move outside Manhattan and still live life. Obviously touched a nerve on Mr. sensitive over there. NYC isn't the end all be all you think it is

In case you were wondering honestly though she will enjoy her nice sized lakehouse with a view thank you very much. For a hell of a lot cheaper than your 2 bedroom condo with fantastic views of the building next to you

Reactions: 5 users
Opinion about income is an subjective thing. People here are complaining about doctors who want to make millions but are OK with an arbitrary number like 200k. Why even 200k? Take even lower if you so desire.
There is nothing wrong with an ambitious physician who wants to be extremely successful and high-earning. That's their life and their choice. As long as they are within legal and moral limits and are not ordering unnecessary tests or doing unnecessary procedures, they can earn how much ever their ability and market demands permits.
You’re not alone in believing that the pursuit of wealth is some aspirational quality and that idea certainly doesn’t need defending.

I hear you buddy. I feel the same way.

That’s why I’m planning on having a life outside of med school.

No amount of money can really “make up” for the time you lose in med school.

Everyone talks about the financial opportunity costs of loans, but no one ever mentions the life/social opportunity costs. They’re equally important and should not be neglected, else you’ll turn into a jaded doc.

I just hope I don’t “fall in love” with plastics or neurosurgery, no way am I trying to be resident for that long.

Psych is the least cushy specialty, please don’t apply! Yes, I am trying to eliminate the competition, lol
this is EXACTLY how i feel. i will be 37 when i finish medical school, and i want to do so many things, - i want to volunteer at an animal rescue farm, have a house with a few acres, a garden. I want to rescue animals, i want to spend time with my mom, who is getting older and older, and i REALLY hope i wont fall in love with surgery :))))) this would REALLY screw up my plans.
I have been thinking about pathology, OB/GYN, EM.. of course there are a few more specialties out there, and i am definitely open minded. One of my friends who is a radiologist told me that when i will see the specialty i love during rotations "i will just know. It will click". Lets see :)

Huh? Wtf how does moving a few minutes outside of a city qualify as parental abandonment? Talk about a nasty reply which doesn’t address what I talked about

Reactions: 7 users