Cusil Partial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAngie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Have any of you delievered a Cusil appliance? What problems (if any) did you encounter during the process? Did your patients have any complaints/concerns about the appliance? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. Have any of you delievered a Cusil appliance? What problems (if any) did you encounter during the process? Did your patients have any complaints/concerns about the appliance? Thanks!!

Yes, I'm a big fan of them. Not many problems. They do have gaskets that fit over the retaining teeth. These gaskets can stain and dry out over time and need replacement every one to two years. When the time comes, you just remove the remains of the existing gasket and take an impression inside the existing denture around the abutment teeth. I really like to do them as immediates for lower arches where the patient has the remaining canines, but they aren't so strong that I feel comfortable doing a cast partial, but the patient could get some use out of them for a little longer. Most patients are happy to keep a couple of their own teeth and have the retention that it affords their denture. For some, it gives them time to save up for implants in the future. You adjust the underside of a cusil like any denture when sore spots develop under the hard acrylic. Cusils are not particularly aesthetic since the gasket is quite large and covers up a good portion of the abutment teeth. For lower canines it's not much of a problem. Good luck with them!

Yes, I'm a big fan of them. Not many problems. They do have gaskets that fit over the retaining teeth. These gaskets can stain and dry out over time and need replacement every one to two years. When the time comes, you just remove the remains of the existing gasket and take an impression inside the existing denture around the abutment teeth. I really like to do them as immediates for lower arches where the patient has the remaining canines, but they aren't so strong that I feel comfortable doing a cast partial, but the patient could get some use out of them for a little longer. Most patients are happy to keep a couple of their own teeth and have the retention that it affords their denture. For some, it gives them time to save up for implants in the future. You adjust the underside of a cusil like any denture when sore spots develop under the hard acrylic. Cusils are not particularly aesthetic since the gasket is quite large and covers up a good portion of the abutment teeth. For lower canines it's not much of a problem. Good luck with them!

Cool...thanks.

Cool...thanks.

I forgot to mention most probably one of the obvious advantages of Cusil partial dentures, they are easily convertible to a full dentures. Teeth can be added on one by one should the patient lose a tooth and they can be relined or rebased in the future. The abutment teeth rarely need adjusting as they would for a cast partial for path of insertion and rest areas. If you have a patient with severe bone loss in the posterior, the acrylic base of the Cusil fills this area in nicely. You may not want to use this partial if the patient will be retaining more than a couple of teeth as the gaskets require maintenance, the less gaskets the better. Wrought wire partial dentures for patients with more than a couple of questionable abutment teeth who may not be ready for a full denture offer a good, not great, solution too. For patients not ready for an implant supported lower denture, teeth, even compromised ones, offer some support and retention for a denture and give patient's the ability to chew their food more comfortably than a full mandibular denture. It's nice to have choices. Good Luck.