Removable Partial Denture designer/generator software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack2210

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure where to post this topic.
default_rolleyes.gif

I was wondering if is there any existing software similar to Easy RPD but for students that I can use to auto generate/design RPD (Removable Partial denture) cases. I've tried to ask them for student discount, they said it's mostly used for professionals or businesses unless the university/organization I'm studying at have a contract with them or something.

Any help would be appreciated.
default_unsure.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know this existed! It looks cool, but I also don't think I'd ever have a use for this, even though I do a lot of removable, The problem is that these designs they show are entirely theoretical, people's teeth don't usually look perfect, ideal, or in a perfect arch. The only thing I could consider this program being useful for is to show RPD designs on a case presentation.

Unless that's what you're looking for, I think there might be a bigger issue at play here! :) I remember when I was taking RPD in school, they throw so much at you, and they make everything seem so complicated, and like there are a million choices to possibly make for every case, and it was co cloudy and confusing. It suddenly all clicked for me one day when i came to a realization - 90% of the stuff they tell you about you'd really never use, and there are really only like less than ten design components you'd ever really use. After I realized that, it would only take me seconds to come up with an RPD design.

For Upper cast partials the major connector is going to be a horse shoe indexing into the anteriors (most of the time), palatal strap, or full palatal coverage (in cases of minimal retention, like just having two canines. Clasps are going to be mostly C clasps with reciprocating arms, and occasionally an I bar for canines. You're going to need rests on the abutment teeth, on uppers in general you can just do the side of the tooth facing the empty space. If you're only missing teeth on one side, you're going to need to do an embrasure clasp - usually between the second premolar and first molar - where you need to make space over the marginal ridge for clasps to go through to the buccal.

For Lower cast partials the major connector is essentially only going to ever be lingual bar or lingual plating. Use lingual plating if you have concern about the perio condition of the anteriors - if needed, you can extract and add a tooth to lingual plating, but not to a lingual bar. For Clasping, you're looking mostly at the RPI or RPA on premolars, meaning a mesial rest, distal guide plane, and I bar or Akers ( another name for c-clasp), just depending on the contours of the tooth - if you don't have enough room because the gingiva is too close to the height of contour, or big and bulky, use a C-clasp. For canines you'll do a cingulum rest (make a 2mm wide 1mm deep shoulder on the cingulum with a flat ended diamond), and usually always an I bar.

Using those general rules of thumb, you can design nearly any RPD in minutes. Also, you can eyeball the undercuts - no one actually uses a surveyor in their office, and the lab will survey it and place the clasp where needed. You just need to make sure there IS an undercut.

Find a few clasps and draw designs on them, doing it on paper can be really hard to visualize sometimes.

Good luck!

***And yes, I realize that these are some big generalizations, but 95% of RPD cases are fairly simple, its the other 5% that you may need to think outside of the box a bit

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't know this existed! It looks cool, but I also don't think I'd ever have a use for this, even though I do a lot of removable, The problem is that these designs they show are entirely theoretical, people's teeth don't usually look perfect, ideal, or in a perfect arch. The only thing I could consider this program being useful for is to show RPD designs on a case presentation.

Unless that's what you're looking for, I think there might be a bigger issue at play here! :) I remember when I was taking RPD in school, they throw so much at you, and they make everything seem so complicated, and like there are a million choices to possibly make for every case, and it was co cloudy and confusing. It suddenly all clicked for me one day when i came to a realization - 90% of the stuff they tell you about you'd really never use, and there are really only like less than ten design components you'd ever really use. After I realized that, it would only take me seconds to come up with an RPD design.

For Upper cast partials the major connector is going to be a horse shoe indexing into the anteriors (most of the time), palatal strap, or full palatal coverage (in cases of minimal retention, like just having two canines. Clasps are going to be mostly C clasps with reciprocating arms, and occasionally an I bar for canines. You're going to need rests on the abutment teeth, on uppers in general you can just do the side of the tooth facing the empty space. If you're only missing teeth on one side, you're going to need to do an embrasure clasp - usually between the second premolar and first molar - where you need to make space over the marginal ridge for clasps to go through to the buccal.

For Lower cast partials the major connector is essentially only going to ever be lingual bar or lingual plating. Use lingual plating if you have concern about the perio condition of the anteriors - if needed, you can extract and add a tooth to lingual plating, but not to a lingual bar. For Clasping, you're looking mostly at the RPI or RPA on premolars, meaning a mesial rest, distal guide plane, and I bar or Akers ( another name for c-clasp), just depending on the contours of the tooth - if you don't have enough room because the gingiva is too close to the height of contour, or big and bulky, use a C-clasp. For canines you'll do a cingulum rest (make a 2mm wide 1mm deep shoulder on the cingulum with a flat ended diamond), and usually always an I bar.

Using those general rules of thumb, you can design nearly any RPD in minutes. Also, you can eyeball the undercuts - no one actually uses a surveyor in their office, and the lab will survey it and place the clasp where needed. You just need to make sure there IS an undercut.

Find a few clasps and draw designs on them, doing it on paper can be really hard to visualize sometimes.

Good luck!

***And yes, I realize that these are some big generalizations, but 95% of RPD cases are fairly simple, its the other 5% that you may need to think outside of the box a bit

No wrought wire love?

Thanks for incredibly helpful post.

Reactions: 1 user
I use wrought wire all day! Just not on my cast partials usually, unless I'm adding a clasp after extracting a tooth - I extracted a #21 with an I bar and had them add the tooth and put a wrought wire clasp on #22, they're super easy to add as long as you have arcylic nearby.

I work at a health center in California, and unfortunately the Medicaid coverage, which 95% of my patients have, doesn't usually cover cast partials, they only cover resin partials. Imagine a more complex flipper with wrought wire clasps. In school they'd throw you out on your ear if you even mentioned one of these as a definitive appliance, but I've been incredibly impressed with them. The retention isn't as good as a cast partial, but the big plus is that you can repair or modify just about anything about it. I've turned one into a completed denture before. In the posterior they're very functional as well.

Reactions: 1 users