CUSM? California University of science and medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arturiase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was browsing and haven't seen much discussion on this school. Is this gonna be another northstate? Wonder how this will affect future residency positions?

Members don't see this ad.

This one isn't for profit, at least. Considering CNU was able to hit a 95th percentile median MCAT (a 34) in its first cohort despite opening in the middle of a cycle, with no federal loans, and as a for-profit school associated with no real university...I think CUSM will do fine. California is full of too many premeds for it to do poorly.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait hold up though...this news release says they got approval 2 weeks ago and plan to welcome incoming students this august. That must be a mistake, right? They don't intend to do an admissions cycle in 4 months over a summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
They do indeed...looks like people have received secondaries too

**Also looks like they don't allow for federal loans (CNU Lite)

2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

The problem with federal student loans is that until it is EDIT it has been in operation for the required time END EDIT, the Feds (Grad Plus etc) won't let their student have loans.

With CNU, the school COULD have allowed its students to have Fed loans but CHOOSE not to. (In this case CNU's pharmacy school was already established, giving CNU students the potential to have Fed loans. CNU nixed that option as a choice.)

CUSM does not have the option to let its students have Fed loans. It's not their fault

And I think that this may be a good option for students who don't want to leave California OR have no other acceptances OR who have parents/inheritances /independently wealthy and therefore don't need loans.

There are private loans available to students who can't get GradPLUS loans (e.g. SallieMae).

Since it's not for-profit, it's less suspect but still should be very closely investigated.

Last edited:
The problem with federal student loans is that until it is fully accredited, the Feds (Grad Plus etc) won't let their student have loans.

It is a common misconception that full accreditation is required for institutional eligibility. The LCME has a layered system of accreditation (preliminary, provisional, full), but in the eyes of Uncle Sam accredited is accredited. The rule that is keeping CUSM from accepting federal loans is the one that stipulates a program must run for 24 months prior to becoming eligible. So it is possible that CUSM students could receive such aid as M3's and M4's.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait hold up though...this news release says they got approval 2 weeks ago and plan to welcome incoming students this august. That must be a mistake, right? They don't intend to do an admissions cycle in 4 months over a summer?

No, no mistake. This is what CNU did back in 2015, much to the chagrin of the LCME.

Was browsing and haven't seen much discussion on this school. Is this gonna be another northstate? Wonder how this will affect future residency positions?

CUSM is basically a feeder medical school for Arrowhead Regional, which is a respected hospital. It's non-profit and sold itself as a pipeline for disadvantaged/minority students to become physicians and serve the Inland Empire (which is a legit need).

Reactions: 4 users
CUSM is basically a feeder medical school for Arrowhead Regional, which is a respected hospital. It's non-profit and sold itself as a pipeline for disadvantaged/minority students to become physicians and serve the Inland Empire (which is a legit need).
Yet another example of a new paradigm: a hospital with a medical school attached!

I'd live in Inland Empire. Perhaps I should aim for this school!

CNU's first cohort had an average MCAT of 32.2 and GPA of 3.48. I'd be a bit surprised if the median were that far off the mean.
The median in the MSAR prior edition was a 34 pretty sure. Source: my memory. Disclaimer: sometimes I remember things wrong. I do recall the GPA being low and spanning down to 3.0

No, no mistake. This is what CNU did back in 2015, much to the chagrin of the LCME.
Are they going to be able to fill their class with academically ready students that fit such a specific mission, over just a few months before classes start?

The median in the MSAR prior edition was a 34 pretty sure. Source: my memory. Disclaimer: sometimes I remember things wrong. I do recall the GPA being low and spanning down to 3.0

Are they going to be able to fill their class with academically ready students that fit such a specific mission, over just a few months before classes start?
Yes, without question! :) The applicant pool is quite strong. Thanks!

Yes, without question! :) The applicant pool is quite strong. Thanks!
Out of curiosity, roughly how many primary AMCAS submissions have you received since being added just a couple weeks ago?

efle, this is CA we're talking about! Y'know, the net exporter of medical students? They're have no problem filling their class with good students.

It is a common misconception that full accreditation is required for institutional eligibility. The LCME has a layered system of accreditation (preliminary, provisional, full), but in the eyes of Uncle Sam accredited is accredited. The rule that is keeping CUSM from accepting federal loans is the one that stipulates a program must run for 24 months prior to becoming eligible. So it is possible that CUSM students could receive such aid as M3's and M4's.
Good to know. I revised my post