CUSM MBS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journey2badoctor

Reaction score
Anybody applying this cycle to California University of Science and Medicine MBS program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there is a way to check the status of our application? like maybe a separate portal?

I called earlier in April and was told they were about to start reviewing applications from the "Inland Empire".Not sure if that meant that applications from elsewhere had already been reviewed. I honestly hope to get into the program. It's my first choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that it was based on a rolling basis also beginning of April. I haven't head back but I think we should be hearing back soon.

Hi all,I just got my A letter,I am so happy. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats guys! Would either of you guys be okay with sharing your stats? What do you think made you stand out as applicants?
What made me stand out? I am not really sure. Honestly,I saw myself as disadvantaged because:
1)I have a foreign undergrad,cum gpa 3.16

2)MCAT score is 484 (I am retaking in July).Looking back now,I think it was a mistake writing that exam when i did because I wasn't as prepared as I would have loved to be. Well,I later found out they were not considering MCAT for admissions this cycle.
3) My undergrad is almost 14 years old.
However,I went back last year for post bacc and now my cum gpa is now at 3.79,science 3.56,non science 3.93.

I have over a decade of work experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.I also run a nonprofit in Africa and have been involved with other types of volunteer work in Africa and in the US. I have participated in quite a number of fellowship programs in the US. I sing professionally also. That was partly how I paid for my studies as an undergrad. All these details I included in my application. I have no research or shadowing experience yet. I hope to work towards that this year.It's been a long journey for me. After all the rejections last year,I am happy to get at least one A. I am giving this my best shot and hoping crush the MCAT this time and matriculate into med school at the end of this program.

I hope you do get in too. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
What made me stand out? I am not really sure. Honestly,I saw myself as disadvantaged because:
1)I have a foreign undergrad,cum gpa 3.16

2)MCAT score is 484 (I am retaking in July).Looking back now,I think it was a mistake writing that exam when i did because I wasn't as prepared as I would have loved to be. Well,I later found out they were not considering MCAT for admissions this cycle.
3) My undergrad is almost 14 years old.
However,I went back last year for post bacc and now my cum gpa is now at 3.79,science 3.56,non science 3.93.

I have over a decade of work experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.I also run a nonprofit in Africa and have been involved with other types of volunteer work in Africa and in the US. I have participated in quite a number of fellowship programs in the US. I sing professionally also. That was partly how I paid for my studies as an undergrad. All these details I included in my application. I have no research or shadowing experience yet. I hope to work towards that this year.It's been a long journey for me. After all the rejections last year,I am happy to get at least one A. I am giving this my best shot and hoping crush the MCAT this time and matriculate into med school at the end of this program.

I hope you do get in too. Good luck.
That's so awesome, do you mind if I message you with a few questions about the program?

Congrats guys! Would either of you guys be okay with sharing your stats? What do you think made you stand out as applicants?
My undergrad GPA is a 3.43 but on AMCAS it's a 3.61 overall and a 3.27 sGPA. My MCAT is only a 490 and I really did rush to take my exam last year but I am retaking it in May. I have 4.5 years of clinical experience in the emergency room working at 2 hospitals. I also had a health educator internship. I guess what makes me stand out is my dedication to serving disadvantaged communities and my drive to educate.

For the people that got accepted, congratulations! I was wondering when did you apply? I applied back in February.

Congratulations on your admission! Did you perhaps receive any confirmation when you submitted all your documentation?

Thank you.Yes I did,but initially,the mail did not include a link for the payment (it's supposed to be included). I wrote to ask and then,they sent me the paypal link.

Oh,I am just reading this again,sorry . I didn't get any such confirmation. But I did call to confirm.
Haha I got the same e-mail, and I received the paypal link within 48 hours.
I will have to look out for the e-mail next week and should also call on Monday ;)

Spoke with MBS coordinator today, very helpful in providing information whether application is complete and/or in the review process. Hoping to hear back soon!

Spoke with MBS coordinator today, very helpful in providing information whether application is complete and/or in the review process. Hoping to hear back soon!
I had a pleasure speaking yesterday too! They are very thorough and helpful.

Hi yall. Congrats to all who already got in! I just received confirmation that they received all my required documents. Staying hopeful :)

Reactions: 2 users
I haven’t gotten an email regarding whether they have received a confirmation letter regarding if they have received all my required documents should I be worried? But I did call to make sure last time.

I haven’t gotten an email regarding whether they have received a confirmation letter regarding if they have received all my required documents should I be worried? But I did call to make sure last time.
I had to call to confirm that. I suggest you call.

I would email them, I received confirmation the day I submitted. However, I emailed them about 6 days later to confirm that they received my transcripts and they got back to me the same day (as long as you email them within business hours).

I would email them, I received confirmation the day I submitted. However, I emailed them about 6 days later to confirm that they received my transcripts and they got back to me the same day (as long as you email them within business hours).
I will do that. Thank you :)

Just received my A letter :)
Super stoked! i'm waitlisted for med school at one school at the moment too.

Just received my A letter! Can't wait to meet yall :)

• Love
Do you mind sharing when you applied and your statistics?
Yea sure. I applied on April 12, all my requirements were summited by April 16. My undergrad gpa is 3.12; my grades did reflect an upwards trend. I plan on taking the MCAT this coming up summer, so I have no stats on that. I am also a drug and alcohol counselor; that's what helped me stand out I think. Hopefully, my gpa gives some hope to yall :')

Does anyone know if this program is going to be online or in person?
If it's in person I need to find a housing

Does anyone know if this program is going to be online or in person?
If it's in person I need to find a housing
They plan to offer it in person unless pandemic restrictions are still in place. If this happens it will be hybrid or fully online. They will update us during the summer.

Anyone looking for housing? Recommendations?
Also, does anyone know if there is a Facebook group made?

Last edited: