CUSOM vs LUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like they are very similar schools. Both are new Christian school in a rural area. It seems like they are both are military friendly schools with Yellow ribbon program. If you had to choose between two, which would you choose, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

i promise you ~100% everyone on SDN will say CUSOM. I don't mind LUCOM (unlike the majority here), but I'd still pick CUSOM over it. Slightly more established, less controversy.

This is a pointless thread because you'll get the same answer ~100% of the time.

Reactions: 4 users
i promise you ~100% everyone on SDN will say CUSOM. I don't mind LUCOM (unlike the majority here), but I'd still pick CUSOM over it. Slightly more established, less controversy.

This is a pointless thread because you'll get the same answer ~100% of the time.
+1

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do a search on "LUCOM" in these forums and then decide.

It seems like they are very similar schools. Both are new Christian school in a rural area. It seems like they are both are military friendly schools with Yellow ribbon program. If you had to choose between two, which would you choose, and why?

Reactions: 1 user

Do a search on "LUCOM" in these forums and then decide.

I understand that there are controversial issues with LUCOM, which I am very surprised because their online program is very popular among military folks. However, setting those issues aside, how different is the quality of education provided between these two institutions? How do their core rotation sites compare? Am I going to be a less competent physician by attending either school? Thank you for your comments.

A) I've heard disturbing things about LUCOM's quality, and am awaiting verification on current attrition rates.
EDIT: A LUCOM student has posted a 10% attrition rate.
That's not good. The average for MD and DO schools is ~1-5%.

B) Rotation sites are as yet hypothetical because LUCOM is only two years old. Any school can say they have X rotation sites, but these can evaporate in a second. My own school has learned this from bitter experience.
C) I can't recommend LUCOM.

A) However, setting those issues aside, how different is the quality of education provided between these two institutions?
B) How do their core rotation sites compare?
C) Am I going to be a less competent physician by attending either school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I was told they have a semester or quarter system... I have not heard of any other US med school that has a semester system...

I was told they have a semester or quarter system... I have not heard of any other US med school that has a semester system...
Technically we've got a semester system at UNECOM for first and second year. Our system is very unusual, and integrated into two sections (clinical skills and medical knowledge) that have a cumulative grade for each twice a year.

A) I've heard disturbing things about LUCOM's quality, and am awaiting verification on current attrition rates.
EDIT: A LUCOM student has posted a 10% attrition rate.
That's not good. The average for MD and DO schools is ~1-5%.

B) Rotation sites are as yet hypothetical because LUCOM is only two years old. Any school can say they have X rotation sites, but these can evaporate in a second. My own school has learned this from bitter experience.
C) I can't recommend LUCOM.
how do you predict LUCOM will do in the match vs. IMGs?
considering the tightening of the match in the upcoming years, and the huge priority that AMGs are given over IMGs, would you give up LUCOM acceptance in favor of a foreign medical school (in UK/Ireland/Australia)? assuming whatever school you'd be attending lets you do 2 years of rotations in the U.S. at an established hospital...

Last edited by a moderator:

I honestly would avoid newer schools, too many question marks with new schools. Its best to aim for the most established DO schools.

Other DO schools >> LUCOM >>>>>IMGs.

Everything will hinge upon:
a) LUCOM board performance.

b) how tight the agreements are between LUCOM and the residency programs in VA and neighboring states, which is where I think most LUCOM grads will end up.

how do you predict LUCOM will do in the match vs. IMGs?
considering the tightening of the match in the upcoming years, and the huge priority that AMGs are given over IMGs (will LUCOM grads be given priority?), would you give up LUCOM acceptance in favor of a foreign medical school (in UK/Ireland/Australia)? assuming whatever school you'd be attending lets you do 2 years of rotations in the U.S. at an established hospital...

Reactions: 1 users
I would aim for these following schools:
PCOM
DMU
MSUCOM
Nova
ATSU
CCOM
Ohio
KCUMB
Oklahoma State COM

Outside of these, the quality of schools is variable, I am not too sure about either LUCOM or CUSOM, never really heard of these schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would aim for these following schools:
PCOM
DMU
MSUCOM
Nova
ATSU
CCOM
Ohio
KCUMB
Oklahoma State COM

Outside of these, the quality of schools is variable, I am not too sure about either LUCOM or CUSOM, never really heard of these schools.
I'm surprised that you're not mentioning your school, AZCOM, here.

CUSOM period. LUCOM is like a Caribbean school disguised as a DO. I interviewed at CUSOM. They have great facilities along with some nice rotation sites. Be very well aware of the school mission though.

Wasn't aware that CUSOM offers 10,000 in the Yellow Ribbon Program. If you are a service member, CUSOM is a no brainer: a free medical school education through post 9/11 along with the opportunity to work with both civilian and military casualties around Fayetteville. You will be seeing a lot of gunshot and broken hips and femurs cases around that area for your third year.

I'm surprised that you're not mentioning your school, AZCOM, here.

AZCOM a branch of Midwestern University which also owns CCOM. I would definitely recommend AZCOM over both schools.

Reading what I have read about LUCOM, it does not sound particularly promising.

AZCOM is a branch of CCOM. Officially both schools are part of Midwestern University. I would definitely recommend AZCOM over both schools.
I know you would. What do you think of Trump and Carson as the Rep ticket for the upcoming election?

I know you would. What do you think of Trump and Carson as the Rep ticket for the upcoming election?

What I think, something better than what we have had for the last 15 years.

Reactions: 2 users
CUSOM period. LUCOM is like a Caribbean school disguised as a DO. I interviewed at CUSOM. They have great facilities along with some nice rotation sites. Be very well aware of the school mission though.

Hyperbole much?

Hyperbole much?

Actually there are a lot more sketchy DO schools than LUCOM, like way more. That is why I only recommended a handful of DO schools. The other schools would be an option if you could not get in anywhere else.

Actually there are a lot more sketchy DO schools than LUCOM, like way more. That is why I only recommended a handful of DO schools. The other schools would be an option if you could not get in anywhere else.
What you mean by "sketchy"?

What you mean by "sketchy"?

Schools that have messy and disorganized clinical education, there are unfortunately a good number of schools that fall into this category. If you do a search you can find which schools, I listed the schools that are the most established, and tend to be the most organized in terms of clinical training. Pretty much all the DO schools will teach you well during the first two years, its the final two years where the quality is variable. It nearly became a concern at my school when the class size was increased but the administration had its act together to accommodate the larger number of students.

Does anybody know about the quality of either of these schools rotations relative to more established DO schools:?

I understand that there are controversial issues with LUCOM, which I am very surprised because their online program is very popular among military folks.

Just throwing it out there but the military doesn't have a great track record of discernment for high end online education

Does anybody know about the quality of either of these schools rotations relative to more established DO schools:?

Well for what it's worth, CUSOM allows you to rotate at Wake Forest Med (which we know Wake forest is an amazing medical school) and there are other big rotations in Fayettesville which is a large city in NC. They say there's a strong chance of you getting your #1, but you're almost guaranteed to get your #1 or 2 so you can't really go wrong haha.

Well for what it's worth, CUSOM allows you to rotate at Wake Forest Med (which we know Wake forest is an amazing medical school) and there are other big rotations in Fayettesville which is a large city in NC. They say there's a strong chance of you getting your #1, but you're almost guaranteed to get your #1 or 2 so you can't really go wrong haha.

Actually we can rotate at Wake Med in Raleigh (which is different than Wake Forest). Wake Med is a level I trauma center with students from UNC med school rotating as well.