sealullaby

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys,

First, thank you for taking the time to read this mess. I'm in a bit of a bind because I just learned that I was accepted into NSU, so now I have to make a decision between one of these two schools. I was hoping to get some advice since NSU's deposit is due in 2 weeks. I'd really appreciate it!

CUSOM (tuition+fees= $50,000)
Pros:
  • Great board scores for USMLE!
  • Very friendly faculty and staff and smaller class size
  • Facilities are brand new
  • Already paid deposit
Cons:
  • Very far drive from family (and I hate driving)
  • Very rural area
  • Never been to North Carolina and I don't like snow?
  • Mandatory attendance for all classes (but the students have said that the faculty doesn't care if you pay attention in the class, so a lot of students use that time to study)
NSU (Tuition+Fees= $53,000)
Pros:
  • Close to home (I'm a Florida resident and I want to practice in Florida in the future)
  • Well-established program
  • Residencies are great
  • Only some classes are mandatory
  • International rotations in India, which I'm personally interested in
Cons:
  • Class size is significantly larger, and all the health science programs essentially share one building
  • A little more expensive, and I'm going to assume there's a higher COL in Fort Lauderdale
  • Match list last year was... not entirely sure what the reason for that is, but I heard it had something to do with poor board scores. The dean told us that students are required to pass the COMSAE before taking their exams now so...

It's been a while since my Campbell interview, and I haven't heard much about NSU's program other than that whole thing with their match rate last year. Honestly, the schools and their programs seem verrrry similar to me, which is probably why I'm having a hard time making a decision. I would really appreciate input, especially from students enrolled in the schools!

TurtleyReady4Med

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I actually made this exact decision last year before getting into an MD. Personally, Nova’s board scores dropping over the last 5 years were super scary for me. 100% take this into consideration because there is no practicing medicine if you don’t match. CUSOM’s tech was also better. (+almost no snow for that confusion).

Reactions: sealullaby

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Administrator
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'd vote for CUSOM on this one. Especially with the difficulties NSU has had recently, but if you would like to be closer to family and not have mandatory attendance, that could potentially be a bigger factor for you.

About the Ads

sealullaby

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the insight! It's just a bummer that NSU's had such a good reputation while I was growing up here. If only I could see into the future and figure out what their 2019 comlex results are lol

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Administrator
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the insight! It's just a bummer that NSU's had such a good reputation while I was growing up here. If only I could see into the future and figure out what their 2019 comlex results are lol
Hey i mean at the end of the day it’s what you make of it, but in this case I feel CUSOM has a slight edge. However, it is all about where you think you would be most successful as a student in the end.

About the Ads