CUSOM vs. TouroCOM Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeForSunnyDaze

OMS3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am incredibly fortunate to have received two acceptances to two supremely different schools. I would appreciate any insight you all could provide to help me make this decision. For additional background, my boyfriend is a PGY2 and will be pursuing fellowship. He will be applying next year.

CUSOM:

Pros:
  • Higher board scores and their tests, quizzes, and their OSCEs mimic the boards
  • Better research opportunities (close to the research triangle)
  • Has associated ACGME accredited programs (ACGME Residencies)
  • Beautiful campus, felt at home immediately
  • Cost of living/learning is cheaper
  • Better facilities/technology
  • Matches into the three specialities I am interested in at present, as well as in NY
  • Block system avails me a week break every two months or so to go visit family
Cons:
  • Plane ride from family/boyfriend
  • Newer school, but not sure how much that matters if you look at their scores
  • Dress code but I don't mind dressing up
  • Mandatory attendance but I don't mind that either

Touro:

Pros:
  • Close to family and boyfriend
  • Established school in NY
  • Matches in NY into same 3 specialties I am interested in
  • Could theoretically live at home or with boyfriend to cut costs
  • Flipped classroom is cool but I am unsure as to how I would work with that format
  • A lot of research is done in house but you can probably link up with other institutions if you put in the work
Cons:
  • Only lists board first time pass rates and there's a huge drop off between COMLEX 1 and 2 - no USMLE outcomes
  • Rotation site list isn't super impressive
  • Did not love the facilities - not a ton of natural light and everything feels a little outdated
  • Faculty was very forthcoming that there are things they would like to improve - I am just not sure if I want to be a test subject for that
  • Shares a building with pharmacy students

My boyfriend is planning to apply for fellowship wherever I am but obviously nothing is ever guaranteed. I want us both to have the best chance to establish our careers at institutions that will help us succeed in our chosen fields. Much obliged for any feedback or additional information, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user