PNWU vs. TouroCOM Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectivemed22

Reaction score
I have been incredibly fortunate to receive acceptances from both schools and would greatly appreciate any advice since the deposit deadline is quickly approaching. I am a CA resident and would ultimately prefer to match near home in the future (possibly in a competitive specialty). Both schools are equivalent in tuition fees.

PNWU (Yakima, WA)
Pros:
  • Closer to home/family support (compared to NY)
  • Low living cost; housing is easy to find, cheaper, and close to campus
  • Seems like supportive administration
  • Very nice campus with multiple facilities/buildings
  • Above average board passing rate
Cons:
  • Mixed reactions on rotation quality, would most likely need to move during 3rd and 4th year rotations to different places/states
  • Rural area; school is primary-care focused, so less opportunities for research, etc.
TouroCOM Harlem
Pros:
  • Touro is a well-known/established system
  • City/urban environment, diverse, more opportunities to build resume for residency
  • Rotations in NYC metro area so most likely will not have to move
  • Transparent match rates and lists are varied (not just primary care) and seem impressive
  • Very high COMLEX pass rates in recent years (100% in 2021)
Cons:
  • Far from home, expensive cost-of-living and/or commute to school
  • Campus is one building and does not seem to have amenities (large simulation lab, lecture halls, etc.)
Again, any input will be extremely helpful in making this decision. Would also really appreciate if any past/current students at either school would like to share any thoughts. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that touro harlem students aren't the happiest. not sure about pnwu. Touro is a great school, but I also do think their faculty are not the warmest. It is also graded vs p/f. Another thing, the campus in harlem isn't the nicest. It's right above a few restaurants so if you want a campus feel, this might not be the place. Commuting in NYC is super easy so you won't need to get a car. Things to also consider to help weigh the pros/cons!!