Customs and SGU?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ordones

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 questions concerting SGU and customs:

First, what do they charge tarrifs for exactly and do they check luggage and packages that are later sent by mail to students?

Second, if packages (by mail, not airport) are checked at customs, how can you get to the university from customs? Is it far? Do you have to take a bus (therefore only have two hands to carry packages..) or can you get a taxi?

Third, when you get to the U for the first time, are their taxi's? (same question). Otherwise, if your traveling by bus to the campus a large box by plane may not be a great idea...

Members don't see this ad.

The Grenadian customs collect a tariff for anything that they sell in Grenada. That is, if you are bringing in a computer and they sell computers in Grenada, then they will tax you for your computer because you are not buying from Grenadian computer dealers. That's in theory. In reality, they do not carry 500Mhz Pentium laptops (more like 200MhZ), but they don't care...they just want your money.

Laptops are taxed heavily. My 1995 IBM 75Mhz 486 (!) laptop was taxed $100. CASH on the spot. TVs, stereos, VCRs, CD Players and other major electronics are taxed. If you can demonstrate that it is well used and beat up and worth nothing and you are a pretty girl, then you may not have to pay for some of the taxes (seriously, I'm not joking about the girl part).

If you mail things to the island, then you'll have to go to the postoffice to pick it up. At that time, they will have you open your package right there on the spot and will rummage through it to determine what is "legal" and what must be taxed. Again, you must pay the tax right there at the post office or else they will confiscate your package.

There are taxis, but most of the reggae-buses are small mini-vans that are buses. You can catch a taxi in town, but it's hard to find one outside of St Georges (The town). Most people hitch rides with classmates with cars to the postoffice. Reggae buses pass right by the post office and it's a short ride but a long impossible walk.

When you arrive at Point Salines airport, don't worry. SGU's student volunteers from the orientation committee will be there to help you get your luggages into student cars and rental reggaebuses free of charge and will drive you to the campus dorm where they will help you check in and get settled. Very easy. I arrived the Sunday before first day of classes and had a smooth transition. Also, the student orientation volunteers will provide a sandwich and drink for you, free.

------------------

Wow, your reply is a significant wakeup call for applicants, YIKES! As if clinical rotations are not difficult enough! I would be interested in hearing what other students have to say, both SGU and other international schools... Thank you for your many replies CC.

The new duty charge for comuters is 5% of its value. If you bring a receipt with you, then they will charge you based off of that. If you do not bring a receipt, then the customs officer charges you based on what he thinks it is worth.

ANy packages mailed or sent air cargo must be opened in front of the customs officer, either at the airport or at the post office. There are taxis everywhere. To get to the airport from the main campus the taxi ride is 10US.

American airlines just imposed new baggage restrictions- you can only bring 1 70lb bag and 1 40 lb carryon. I would call ahead to make sure you can bring oversize luggage or check additional pieces. They usually dont let you when the flights are full.

Finally, if you arrive when most other students arrive, there will be a greeting committee who will have already arranged taxis for you. They should be able to tell you all this if you call Bayshore.