Cute Parents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea. best part is, they INSIST ON IT (like they feel it's their duty :confused:)

Wow can I just say I'm seriously jealous lol

Members don't see this ad.

My mom is cute too. Whenever i get a rejection letter in the mail she doesn't tell me but she's all quiet and sad-looking when I get home from work and she'll cook me my favourite meal for dinner until I finally ask her, "which school replied?" and then she'll whisper "you got a rejection from XYZ med school today" like it softens the blow if she doesn't say it loudly. Gosh, its harder on her than me when a rejection comes in the mail. If these schools only knew the lives they were crushing.....:(

lol! The schools should be forced to give the letters to our moms in person. Rejection letters would be much nicer...and fewer in number.

my mom didn't understand why a pink suit with a bubble skirt wasn't quite ideal for medical school interviews... she also thinks my med school experience will be just like grey's anatomy.

My dad told me to try to choose a specialty that won't be too large of a time commitment... he doesn't want it to interfere with my ability to be a good mom some day.

*Flashback to 1950*

Members don't see this ad :)
i fell in love with stanford when i interviewed there in february

when the rejection letter came, my mom didn't say anything to me but just left it on my table

on that same day, my dad asked me if i had heard from my stanford, and my mom gave him the DIRTIEST look ever! hahaha :laugh:

i fell in love with stanford when i interviewed there in february

when the rejection letter came, my mom didn't say anything to me but just left it on my table

on that same day, my dad asked me if i had heard from my stanford, and my mom gave him the DIRTIEST look ever! hahaha :laugh:

lol. I have a feeling that most of our moms would willingly do battle with the adcoms to get us our acceptance. I know that if I lived in the States, there would probably be a lot of admission officers with mysterious blackeyes.

My Dad had a cute/clueless moment last night. Apparently he watched something on TV where it talked about match day and interviewed Hopkins students, etc etc.

So anyway, my Dad calls to tell me about this genius thing that only Hopkins is doing called residency match. He talks about it for almost 20 minutes then says "You should call your schools and suggest that they try it, it will make you look like a genius!" It took me the rest of the hour to explain why it would, in fact, not make me look intelligent to suggest that.

My Dad had a cute/clueless moment last night. Apparently he watched something on TV where it talked about match day and interviewed Hopkins students, etc etc.

So anyway, my Dad calls to tell me about this genius thing that only Hopkins is doing called residency match. He talks about it for almost 20 minutes then says "You should call your schools and suggest that they try it, it will make you look like a genius!" It took me the rest of the hour to explain why it would, in fact, not make me look intelligent to suggest that.

Tell your Dad to join SDN and he will be in tune and in phase with your progress. SDN has helped me by not letting my stupidity show as much.

I have been a member for 5 years and my daughter just got her match into residency this year.

I have enjoyed following the trials of pre meds and MS through the long process.

BTW your Dad cares and that is better than some get from their parents. He will also look a lot smarter as you get older. You are lucky.

My mother sent out the full detailed score sheet from my MCAT (with percentiles, etc.) to pretty much everyone she knew. This was prior to my successful regrade, and I was not happy. I didn't speak to her for a month, and now I don't even keep her up to date with what schools have accepted/rejected me.

Tell your Dad to join SDN and he will be in tune and in phase with your progress. SDN has helped me by not letting my stupidity show as much.

I have been a member for 5 years and my daughter just got her match into residency this year.

I have enjoyed following the trials of pre meds and MS through the long process.

BTW your Dad cares and that is better than some get from their parents. He will also look a lot smarter as you get older. You are lucky.

I know I'm lucky to have my parents on my side. It's kind of funny because initially they didn't even want me to go to college let alone medical school, but they finally realized that I was going to do it anyway and they've been behind me ever since.

Although every so often my dad does try to get me to switch to construction or the like...:laugh:

My mother sent out the full detailed score sheet from my MCAT (with percentiles, etc.) to pretty much everyone she knew. This was prior to my successful regrade, and I was not happy. I didn't speak to her for a month, and now I don't even keep her up to date with what schools have accepted/rejected me.

Why? It sounds like she was just proud of you and wanted to share. What's the big deal?

On saturday I wrote a "test of critical skills" for a pharm school which was just to see how I think and write and my personal qualities (like do i follow the rules too much, or am I free spirit who doesn't care for authority). As soon I got home my mom asked, "did you pass?" It doesn't matter how many times I explain to her that there were no right or wrong answers on this test and I'll find out in june..blahblahblah....she still asks me if I passed or failed, and she's convinced that I failed and am just hiding it from her.....lol:)

i think the application process really brought my mom and I closer together. She already has grandkids from my older brothers, so has focused on that role a lot recently. But she was really engaged in the process and SHE was the one I wanted to talk to after each interview--not my boyfriend or my best friend--but my mom. Sometimes parents are perfect for putting everything in perspective.