Cute Parents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shippudenfan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't know if there were any other threads with this topic, but I thought I'd post this anyway.

So, I'm studying for a major psych exam, and my mom comes in the door with a weird look on her face (my mom's never been able to keep secrets) and hugs me like there's no tomorrow.

Me: what's going on?
Mom: I just love you so much. I am proud of you no matter what. Any school who doesn't take you doesn't know anything. It's their loss.
Me: Did something happen?
Mom: NO! No, nothing happened.
(3 hours later, come home from the exam)
Mom: So how was your exam?
Me: Good, I thought it was-
Mom: You got two rejection letters today.

3 hours...new record. I love my mom.

Any one else have cute parents?

Members don't see this ad.

It's always awesome when they go, "I hope you pass the MCAT." Then they think I'm an idiot when I tell them (repeatedly) that I can't get into UC Irvine out of state since they accepted a total of 0 OOS students last year. According to them, "you never know" and I should apply anyway. Oh wait, you're asking for "cute" parent stories...

Whenever a rejection letter comes, my parents get all serious (and sad-sounding) and say, "Whatever happens is for the best. There's a reason God didn't want such-and-such school for you. Don't worry, whatever is right for you will happen!"

hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had cute parents.

Mine just doubt my decisions and have zero confidence in me. :rolleyes:

All this while my brother got his driver's license revoked for DUI, works at walmart, and couldn't even manage to complete one year of community college.

Eh, despite their numerous faults, I guess they really do care and want the best for us. At least my parents do...

I know a guy whose dad knows his AMCAS ID by heart. His dad called up a school and found out his son had an interview there. He drove to the university and calls his kid out of a bio lecture (because ofcourse, he knows the kid's schedule too).

The prof just looked at this parent like he was crazy:

Prof: So if the protease cleaves- (sees some man standing and waving at some kid in the back row)-Um..can I help you.
dad (at front door): Yes, I want talk to "John". John, please come out here son, I want to talk to you.

Poor John. And my parents think I have a 4.0...

My Mom will open any piece of mail that shows up at the house that is addressed to me from a medical school. And everytime I tell her that I'd like to be the first person to read these letters, she always say,"I'm sorry, i wasn't sure if it was maybe for something else. Not just medical school. I won't do it anymore."

But of course, she continues to open my mail. She may be more excited than I am.

My Mom will open any piece of mail that shows up at the house that is addressed to me from a medical school. And everytime I tell her that I'd like to be the first person to read these letters, she always say,"I'm sorry, i wasn't sure if it was maybe for something else. Not just medical school. I won't do it anymore."

But of course, she continues to open my mail. She may be more excited than I am.

That is a federal offense. You could get her arrested if you wanted to :laugh:

Lol, my parents thought my middle school and high school lost at least 2 or 3 years of my midterm grades.....:) somehow when other kids got report cards, mine would never come. good thing i ended up doing well in the classes in the end.

My parents got sooo excited when I told them I did well and "passed" the MCAT. The first thing my mom did was answer every single phone call with

"Hello, my Lawliet just passed the MCAT. At the top of his class!" (which is ofcourse not true).

It was really hard to explain to them exactly why I had to take it three more times.

That is a federal offense. You could get her arrested if you wanted to :laugh:

"M'am, you are being charged for your inability to control yourself and not open your son's letters during this application cycle."

I can see it now. Ha.

"M'am, you are being charged for your inability to control yourself and not open your son's letters during this application cycle."

I can see it now. Ha.
Cop: Ma'am, you're under arrest.

Mom: Andy, tell them it isn't true! I love you!

Cop: Cease and desist! Cease and desist!

Mailman: Looks like you got a letter from some medical school...

Mom: Oooh!

Cop: Ma'am, kindly put down the letter.

*mom begins to tear open the letter*

Andy: Mom, just please, please put down the letter.

Cop: Ma'am, if you don't put down the letter I will be forced to shoot. *cocks gun*

Mom: must...open...letter...

*mom drops to her knees in tears, releases the half-opened medical school acceptance letter, and is handcuffed and booked.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm so bored.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cop: Ma'am, if you don't put down the letter I will be forced to shoot. *cocks gun*

*mom drops to her knees in tears, releases the half-opened medical school acceptance letter, and is handcuffed and booked.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm so bored.

I could feel the drama and angst. haha. :laugh:

I'm so bored.

So am I. But funny stuff! In my case, all that would have been for rejection letter.

My dad bet me that I would be accepted to 75% of the schools I applied to. He owes me $50.

yep, this is how my parents are. only mine open and read all of my letters, "clean" my room everytime i leave...and so on...:rolleyes:

I think my mom is more nervous than I am about getting into my top choice school. Every day she calls when the mail comes to let me know that they didn't send anything. My poor mom... this whole process has probably taken a year or so off of her life. :rolleyes: She also bought a bottle of champagne when I got my first acceptance, and she never drinks!

My mom kept bugging me every week to goto my Duke interview just so if I got in, I could say that I got in. It was kinda annoying and one day my dad was sitting there peacefully and was just like "Leave him alone! If he doesn't want to go, he's not going to go!"

She's also already worried about the winters in MN and said I need to start buying jackets and sweaters, haha. She even told me I could have her beloved space heater. I was like "thanks, mom."

A couple of months ago, after my interviews and stuff, my dad was asking me the names of the schools that I liked and made a list of all I thought were my top choices. I was so confused as to why he was doing this and asked him-- he told me that he would pray that I got in. I'm not really religious, but I really appreciated it. :)

my parents do the same thing... they open all of my mail

one time my mom threw away my rebate check because she thought it was junk mail:mad:

I know a guy whose dad knows his AMCAS ID by heart. His dad called up a school and found out his son had an interview there. He drove to the university and calls his kid out of a bio lecture (because ofcourse, he knows the kid's schedule too).

The prof just looked at this parent like he was crazy:

Prof: So if the protease cleaves- (sees some man standing and waving at some kid in the back row)-Um..can I help you.
dad (at front door): Yes, I want talk to "John". John, please come out here son, I want to talk to you.

that is one of the most horrible things i've ever heard. some parents need to get a life.

My mom is the cutest mom on the planet! I asked her to please open any mail that comes for me (I live in a different city, and it's just easier), so she gets really excited when I get good news. My mom is completely rehearsed in the whole applying to med school process...she is currently 'counseling' another mom-friend of hers whose daughter is applying this year, yet has no interviews yet. She insisted on going on my first couple interviews with me (she does her own thing while I'm at the school, doesn't follow me around like I saw one dad do at Temple :eek:) so that I wouldn't stress out more than I have to. She takes me to dinner before each interview, and has my suit cleaned and pressed for me :D Granted, she is one of my best friends, so it is not annoying at all.

Just today, she wanted to know all the details of my interview coming up at MSUCHM- she tries to help me prep for the possible questions. Oh, and when I was at my SLU interview, I knew that my decision was going to come in the mail from Temple (I had a status change online that told me it was on the way). I asked her not to open it while I was gone, because I was expecting a rejection and didn't want it to bog me down. She called, all out of breath, while I was out the night before my SLU interview (I was already in St Louie)- to tell me that I didn't get rejected from Temple. Mind you, she didn't 'open' the letter, but peered through it using a light bulb to read the first line :laugh: She couldn't hold in the good news that she thought would pump me up. I love my momma!

My mom kept bugging me every week to goto my Duke interview just so if I got in, I could say that I got in. It was kinda annoying and one day my dad was sitting there peacefully and was just like "Leave him alone! If he doesn't want to go, he's not going to go!"

She's also already worried about the winters in MN and said I need to start buying jackets and sweaters, haha. She even told me I could have her beloved space heater. I was like "thanks, mom."

A couple of months ago, after my interviews and stuff, my dad was asking me the names of the schools that I liked and made a list of all I thought were my top choices. I was so confused as to why he was doing this and asked him-- he told me that he would pray that I got in. I'm not really religious, but I really appreciated it. :)

sounds like my parents too... we prayed over everything... my dad even prayed over my applications before i turned them in

before i even took my MCAT they were already calling me doctor "how was school doctor.... hello doctor.... awww look at my doctor"

my mom was so scared that I was going to get in a car accident on the way to my interviews so my dad had to drive me and he would pray for me before he dropped me off for my interview

i lived at home during undergrad and my parents would come in my room when i'm studying and ask if i needed help or my mom would ask a thousand questions "are you okay... are you hungry... are you thirsty... are you sick... are you sleepy...want me to cook something... what are you going to eat... have you eaten..dont worry i'll go cook spaghetti... or do you want rice?"

i'm finally moving away in August and i KNOW she's gonna go crazy... she's been talking about how she's going to mail me food and come visit me at least once a month

Perpetually being >3000 miles away from one's family is both a blessing and a curse. I've luckily been allowed my independence ever since I turned 18, but I thinks it's going to be difficult only seeing my family for a couple weeks once a year.

I've finally trained my parents not to open my mail while I'm home. But my dad is great about keeping me updated by priority mail/fax when I'm away.

My parents also have a list of my top schools and have been keeping me in constant prayer. It has given me an interesting sense of peace throughout the whole process, and apparently their prayers have been pretty effective. Now my mom has decided it's time to transition to praying for the "right school" to become utterly apparent.

Sounds good to me. :)

You live with your mom?
wtf

And/or paying off significant quadruple digit credit cards bills, before the possibility of income is cut off by medical school enrollment.

Living at home doesn't necessarily mean one's not self-supported. Not paying $800 a month in rent as I did for 6 months in Cali is a definite benefit. Some of us have parents who can't afford to pay our bills, but are graciously willing to give us a roof over our heads, while we work to do it ourselves ..."comma"...

when i got my first MCAT score, i was really upset and called my parents bawwwwling. my mom did the usual it's ok speech like she always does and my dad didn't say much (he's very quiet and reserved). so the next day he called me to tell me about all the online-research he did while at work about average MCAT scores and success stories of people who got in with so-so scores. it was very unexpected and sweet.

My dad has a whole spreadsheet of my chances (statistically calculated via my Mcat and GPA, and using the MSAR and USNews package) of getting interviewed, and accepted at all the schools I applied to...heh. He likes to send me update emails about my statistical chances pre and post interview at the schools still under consideration. He lives in China, and I think this is his way of obsessing from all the way over there since he can't do much else (like stalk my mail).

Living at home doesn't necessarily mean one's not self-supported. Not paying $800 a month in rent as I did for 6 months in Cali is a definite benefit. Some of us have parents who can't afford to pay our bills, but are graciously willing to give us a roof over our heads, while we work to do it ourselves ..."comma"...

This is exactly why I live at home. I thought I would only live at home for the summer after college and then get my own apartment, but the thought of saving $900+ a month was just too appealing. Now I've saved quite a bit of money for med school and have money to travel during the summer before med school.
I never really thought living at home was such a problem. :confused:

This is exactly why I live at home. I thought I would only live at home for the summer after college and then get my own apartment, but the thought of saving $900+ a month was just too appealing. Now I've saved quite a bit of money for med school and have money to travel during the summer before med school.

It is only if you're not socially adjusted and your parents take care of everything (i.e. pay all your bills, do your laundry, come on all interviews, call schools about your status, and generally try to micromanage your life).

I think if you're doing it to save money, such as I am, more power to you.

My mom had no faith in me when I decided to apply to med school. Dad shamed her for the lack of support, which then prompted her to be even more ridiculous and suggest I apply to a bunch of schools out of my league. She just doesn't understand... The problem with dad is that he gets TOO into the process and I'M the one that has to tell HIM to calm down.

Always remember parents are completely incapable of looking at their child objectively. It's cute, it can be annoying, but they're your parents.

I'm staying at home for undergrad, and have saved many thousands of dollars. No rent, no food/utility bills etc. I'm very proud of the fact that I will graduate without a single cent of debt. Sure, staying at home is annoying at times (parents :rolleyes:) but I love to save money and have no problem with staying at home. I'll be moving out when I get into medschool, at which point I won't have much time to see my family, so I value the time I'm spending with them right now.

Guys, I want to hear more stories. Come on, I know you've got some in you.

When I told my mom I got an interview at UCSF she was like "OH! GOOD! now you can stay in southern california".....and then I had to remind her......:D

My parents take every one of my rejections personally. Everytime I get a rejection letter I end up having to console them. They refuse to believe that I could be rejected anywhere. Gets really annoying really quick.

I applied two yrs ago and was waitlisted at school X. As it turns out, my grandmother lives in state X and has really been pulling for me to get into medical school. Well in any event, she called me one evening to tell me that she saw the governor of the state at some event and talked to him specifically about me not getting into school X. And then, she says, "Expect a call from the school again."

Apparently someone in the governor's office made a phone call on my behalf to the school. I love my grandmother very much, but i have never had anything just handed to me in my entire life. And i didnt plan to start then either. So while her intentions were wonderful, this makes me the "person who's grandmother had the governor's office call the medical school to stir the pot."

Anyways, i was never pulled from the waitlist. And I'm sure school X wasn't happy that they were getting a phone call from the state office.

and what's wrong with that?

some of us are trying to save up some money before we start med school.

Why not just use your trust fund to buy a house?
hahaha I'm kidding I swear.

I only knew like 1 person in college that lived at home, so I guess I just didn't think people would 1) live close enough to colleges, 2) want to live with parents during school.

I only knew like 1 person in college that lived at home, so I guess I just didn't think people would 1) live close enough to colleges, 2) want to live with parents during school.

I live with my parents- but I am on gap year. It is starting to annoy me a bit, but roomates tend to be annoying too. (and they don't wash my clothes for me)

well, I didn't live with them during school. I definitely didn't WANT to move in with them afterwards, but to be able to afford applications I had to.

theres nothing wrong with living with your parents during your transition time. I was planning on living with my parents and working for a year if I didn't get in this year. I will probably live with them during the summer as well.

well, I didn't live with them during school. I definitely didn't WANT to move in with them afterwards, but to be able to afford applications I had to.

Same here. I didn't live with them during school either, and I definitely didn't want to move back in after graduating. It just turned out to be the most convenient, cost-effective option.

Interesting thread!

My parents were so anxious about me getting an acceptance to my top choice school that they opened and read the letter before I even knew that a letter had arrived. They were sooo happy, and called me from my room, and just smiled and smiled...I was like..."What??..., why are you guys so happy?" My mom whispers into my ear..."you got accepted to *yourtopchoiceuniv*"...and then the next second we were all jumping up and down and giving each other group hugs, and then I realized I didn't know what was going on :eek:...it took me a few minutes to get a sense of what really happened :idea:

I was kind of glad they knew before I did, because I would have asked them to open it first anyways...I would have been too nervous to open the envelope myself lol

I am hoping something of that sort happens when I apply to med school as well :rolleyes:

lol my dad is a doctor so i kinda know what its like. He knows friends of the dean at my undergrad so he's always telling them to put a good word in for me. He's taught didactics at KCOM and KCUMB and taken their students for rotations, he made sure to let the adcoms know this when he went with me to those schools. kind of embarrassing.

application process was bad too. Made me apply to washU because he 'knows people' and even places like meharry cuz our neighbor went there. I just told him i submitted them and i didn't here back lol. i know i don't have a shot at washU and i sure as hell would't wanna go to meharry. i didn't want to go d.o. either but kcumb sent a letter to my house for an interview BEFORE i filled out the secondary... so i was kinda screwed there.

oddly enough the MD school he had no affiliation with gave me an acceptance, i can't complain though... it helps having connections like that.

I'm trying to keep my parents out of this as much as possible. It doesn't help that my mom tells everyone I'm going to be a doctor. I know I'll get in somewhere, however there is a pressure because the entire family and a lot of family friends know what I'm trying to do. My parents didn't have the best education either so its extremely hard to explain to them the whole process. Both looked mildly annoyed however when I told them I was considering doing a residency in the Allentown area, about 30 mins from my home, and might consider living at home. Its not time to worry about that yet anyway since that's a good number of years away.

Anyone have to tell their parents or family members that they won't practice on them? Sure, I don't mind writing a script for amoxicillin or some albuterol, but go to your own doctor! However I can them saying, well my son, Dr. So and So, says this. Oh boy.

after i got accepted, all of my older relatives started asking if i was going into geriatrics. and i kindly told them "no way."

my mom actually discouraged anyone from jumping the gun to saying that i was going to be a doctor before i actually got in, in case i didn't. especially my grandmother because she looooves to tell everyone what her grandkids are doing. but after my acceptance, family friends who haven't seen me since i was a little kid started coming out of the woodworks to give me congrats :)

This whole application process may be the only time I'm glad my parents can't read English.