Cutoff Step 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msmith83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at Anesthesiology program cut off step 1 scores, are these pretty much universal? Like you need not apply at all if your score is lower than the cut off? Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

While many programs do indeed have a absolute cutoff, there are plenty where a 'fudge factor' exists.

For those without a declared cutoff, having a score of 200 (maybe 210?) can be considered the minimum, but you see data every year from the NRMP where applicants with a Step 1 score in the 190's have matched, albeit very few.

While many programs do indeed have a absolute cutoff, there are plenty where a 'fudge factor' exists.

For those without a declared cutoff, having a score of 200 (maybe 210?) can be considered the minimum, but you see data every year from the NRMP where applicants with a Step 1 score in the 190's have matched, albeit very few.

Thanks for the reply. What about the schools with the 210, 215, 220 range cut offs? My score is in the 200-210 range and there is quite a few programs with a 210 cut off

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm beginning my residency next year and admittedly know little about individual programs other than my own application/interview experience. That said, I would recommend giving the "210" schools a shot, and show your interest to those programs earlier on in the process. For schools at 220 above, I still wouldn't necessarily count yourself out, especially if you rotate at such an institution. In the end, your best bet will be to improve all other aspects of your application, including Step 2, and 'applying broadly,' as people on here like to say.

is it possible to match anesthesia without ever doing a rotation and no anesthesia LOR?
AMG w/ Step 1 & 2 in low 250s

Yes. But how do you know you'd like it? Program directors hate attrition and you'd seem like a prime candidate. Also makes you seem lazy and/or unreliable. If you spend some of your free time in the anesthesia department (weekends, post call, etc) you could probably get a letter or at least have something to assuage your interviewers fears with.

is it possible to match anesthesia without ever doing a rotation and no anesthesia LOR?
AMG w/ Step 1 & 2 in low 250s
I went unmatched this year (super competitive specialty), and graduated (no way to do anesthesia rotation). Will be applying this cycle.

I had a classmate with similar scores who didn't match derm and then secured a spot In my program during her TY. She was miserable, got crazy depressed, took a leave of absence and eventually left by the end of CA-1 year.

Just an example of course, but try to get some exposure if you can. TRY to get some time in intern year (crazy thought) to do some visiting of programs. 2nd visits a must if you interview and like places to try and get a good feel. I know just getting time for the interviews will be difficult. Good luck!