Cutthroat Competition in School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, after looking at the residency numbers if I were in school now you better freaking believe I'd be the blackhole of information. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Meh, I have never believed it is in my best interest to hinder someone else. I hope I never do. In general people who think that way often expose themselves as such. Who wants to work with someone like that? It may get you ahead in some ways, but I do not think it is the key to long term success.

I recall reading something awhile back about ways to get ahead, and it was super hard core. Stuff like "Think of people as the rungs on a ladder to your success". I thought it was satire at first. :laugh:

I'm not hindering other people IMO, I'm just selectively helping those who I'm likely to keep in touch with after school (ie the ones I'm going to hang out with and our kids will play in the backyard, etc...)

I guess you could argue that you're "hindering" someone else relatively speaking, but eh... information that is too widely distributed is less likely to retain its value when it becomes common.

I'm not hindering other people IMO, I'm just selectively helping those who I'm likely to keep in touch with after school (ie the ones I'm going to hang out with and our kids will play in the backyard, etc...)

I guess you could argue that you're "hindering" someone else relatively speaking, but eh... information that is too widely distributed is less likely to retain its value when it becomes common.
I agree here. Helping a few doesn't mean you're hindering the rest. If I gave a few bucks to a homeless guy, I'm not hindering all the other people who didn't receive money. It's not like they asked you for help and you refused, or if you gave them a study sheet with wrong answers. That would be hindering them. Are you perhaps raising the overall class average with your help, which might make somebody's grade appear worse? That's really stretching it.