Quantcast

"Cutting down schools"

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
I am hoping to get some help with my dental school destinations. I will be taking the DAT in a couple of weeks. Other than that, my application is ready to be submitted.
My stats are: GPA - 3.10, over 500 hrs of shadowing, over 10K hours of dental experience, over 100 hrs of volunteering. My main focus is the clinical portion of the school, like Maryland and Michigan (they are clinically very strong.) I know that Michigan emphasizes a lot on experience. Also, I know my stats aren't any close to required, but I am hoping for the best. I have cut down a lot already, but the only doubt I still have is the University of Florida. Although they do not require specific GPA, obviously, the higher, the more competitive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the ones I've picked so far:

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
University of Florida College of Dentistry
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
University of Maryland School of Dentistry
University of New England College of Dental Medicine
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
New York University College of Dentistry
Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry

MahiMahi

Optimism
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are still quite a few state schools (which are incredibly competitive for out-of-state students) and not enough private schools (which care less about your state). With a 3.10 GPA I think you should cut a few more of the out of state public schools, and replace them with more privates. I assume you are already applying to all your in-state schools as well?

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OVER 10k HOURS OF DENTAL EXPERIENCE?!? Are you a nontraditional applicant and did you work as a dental assistant or something?

Other than your crazy dental experience hours, I have very similar stats (slightly higher GPA though). Shoot for 20+ AA to have a decent chance.

The above schools depend not just your GPA and DAT but your state residency. If you are not from Oregon, Tennessee, or Maryland, I would take those schools out. I believe the rest of the schools do not have a state preference.

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are still quite a few state schools (which are incredibly competitive for out-of-state students) and not enough private schools (which care less about your state). With a 3.10 GPA I think you should cut a few more of the out of state public schools, and replace them with more privates. I assume you are already applying to all your in-state schools as well?
Yes, I am applying to in-state schools. Which ones would you recommend deleting/adding?

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OVER 10k HOURS OF DENTAL EXPERIENCE?!? Are you a nontraditional applicant and did you work as a dental assistant or something?

Other than your crazy dental experience hours, I have very similar stats (slightly higher GPA though). Shoot for 20+ AA to have a decent chance.

The above schools depend not just your GPA and DAT but your state residency. If you are not from Oregon, Tennessee, or Maryland, I would take those schools out. I believe the rest of the schools do not have a state preference.
Yes, I've been a DA for almost 7 years. Not sure what you mean by "nontraditional" applicant, but I have dedicated my "life" to dentistry :D Are you sure about Tenseness, Oregon, and Maryland having in-state preference? Where are you from and which ones are you applying to? Any suggestions for me?

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've been a DA for almost 7 years. Not sure what you mean by "nontraditional" applicant, but I have dedicated my "life" to dentistry :D Are you sure about Tenseness, Oregon, and Maryland having in-state preference? Where are you from and which ones are you applying to? Any suggestions for me?
Do you have the ADEA handbook? They do a breakdown on all the accredited dental schools and have a list of the schools that prefer in-state or have no preference.

Some schools I'm not sure of in-state preference but I would definitely go to their website to see if you don't have the ADEA handbook.

Nontraditional means pursued a different career and did not sit on your butt playing xbox and letting mom do your laundry while you claim working 4 hours a week at starbucks is a "work experience" :)

MahiMahi

Optimism
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
State schools in general are very competitive for out-of-staters. If you're not in their state or nearby, you should have strong reasons for wanting to attend their school specifically.

Last edited:

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UF and Buffalo are both very competitive for out-of-staters. If you're not in either state, I'd recommend taking them out. Maryland is also very competitive, but they take a good amount of competitive out-of-staters.
thank you

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have the ADEA handbook? They do a breakdown on all the accredited dental schools and have a list of the schools that prefer in-state or have no preference.

Some schools I'm not sure of in-state preference but I would definitely go to their website to see if you don't have the ADEA handbook.

Nontraditional means pursued a different career and did not sit on your butt playing xbox and letting mom do your laundry while you claim working 4 hours a week at starbucks is a "work experience" :)
In fact, I have low GPA, due to personal issues. I had to work. Did you take your DAT, yet?

workofshart

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's $15 for the ebook from ADEA's official website, well worth it for a process that costs thousands of dollars.

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In fact, I have low GPA, due to personal issues. I had to work. Did you take your DAT, yet?
Ya, I took the DAT, already sent in my application. My GPA is low too but my DAT is ok. But I heard a lot of schools look at GPA regardless anyway so we'll see how it goes.

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ya, I took the DAT, already sent in my application. My GPA is low too but my DAT is ok. But I heard a lot of schools look at GPA regardless anyway so we'll see how it goes.
Good luck!
Btw, how did you study for the DAT if you don't mind me asking?