CV and personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chisel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just looking for some advice on writing my CV and personal statement.

I was only active in a few clubs during the past few years. I really focused on my education for the first two years.

Any ideas on how to make an interesting CV without many experiences outside of the norm.?

Thanks in advance,

Chisel

Members don't see this ad.

just remember to include awards (academic and others), research and publications, clubs/leadership. you can also include interesting experiences prior to medical school (rhodes scholarship, peace corps, real-world jobs, etc.)

GopherBrain said:
Don't forget to include your Subway Sub Club (tm) membership. The Taco Bell Spice Up the Night Club (tm) is even more prestigious.

gopherbrain, youre out of your element...youre like a child who walks into a theater and wants to know....

and not to mention that...the keeping of amphibious...rodents...for uh domestic...within the city...you cant do that either dude

I found that going through Resumes and Personal Statements for Health Professionals by James Tysinger (it's a workbook plus lots of samples) was helpful. Iserson recommends it. Writing cvs and personal statements seems dumb, but it's important to do it well, and though books that claim to help you write them can be cheesy, in the end Tysinger's got some pretty good ideas. He addresses exactly the problem that you talk about--what to put on your cv when you've spent your time studying instead of clubbing. Amazon's got it for around $18 (it's worth that), but maybe your library has it. Good luck.

scholes said:
gopherbrain, youre out of your element...youre like a child who walks into a theater and wants to know....

and not to mention that...the keeping of amphibious...rodents...for uh domestic...within the city...you cant do that either dude

phone's ringing dude.

thanks donny

snuffy said:
I found that going through Resumes and Personal Statements for Health Professionals by James Tysinger (it's a workbook plus lots of samples) was helpful. Iserson recommends it. Writing cvs and personal statements seems dumb, but it's important to do it well, and though books that claim to help you write them can be cheesy, in the end Tysinger's got some pretty good ideas. He addresses exactly the problem that you talk about--what to put on your cv when you've spent your time studying instead of clubbing. Amazon's got it for around $18 (it's worth that), but maybe your library has it. Good luck.

Well. At least I received a couple useful posts. And I am grateful for them.

I do appreciate the sarcastic posts but only for their ability to bring a smile to my face :) .

Thanks and any further advice will be appreciated.

Chisel

neilc said:
phone's ringing dude.

thanks donny

"shut the phuck up donny"

"I don't roll on phuking sabbath"

"Hey, what's this day of rest $hit, what's this bull$hit, I don't phucking care, it don't matter to Jesus... you may have the phucks in the league office fooled, but you don't fool Jesus..it's bush league psyche out ****...laughable man...hhaaahaaaah...I won't phuck you on saturday, I'll phuck you next wednesday instead...you got a date babee!!!"

Some of the best advice I can think of is to try to include anything that makes you unique. The CV is the quick reference that most of my interviewers looked at in order to learn what was unique about me that I may bring to the program. I'm not talking only things related to medicine. For example, one of the hobbies/interests that I listed was painting, which was a big topic of conversation at one of my top programs as my interviewer was a photographer and interested in art. I also listed some businesses that I helped found and various foreign travel volunteer experiences that I have had, which I got asked about at every single program without fail and by every interviewer. They liked talking about my background since it helped to differentiate me from other candidates. I'm not saying you have to have something extravagant or way unusual...just something that is somewhat unique to you or that helps set you apart if possible.

GMO2003 said:
"shut the phuck up donny"

"I don't roll on phuking sabbath"

"Hey, what's this day of rest $hit, what's this bull$hit, I don't phucking care, it don't matter to Jesus... you may have the phucks in the league office fooled, but you don't fool Jesus..it's bush league psyche out ****...laughable man...hhaaahaaaah...I won't phuck you on saturday, I'll phuck you next wednesday instead...you got a date babee!!!"

u need to be banned from SDN, u classless fool.