CV or resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beckhunter116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am wondering if I have to make a CV or will a resume be fine? I ask because a lot of the categories for a CV I have nothing in such as presentations and publications.

I have a summer of research (not for academic credit), work experience (both leadership positions), volunteer experience, a conference for a volunteer position, typical awards like dean's list and 2 scholarships and an internship.

Advice please!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I am wondering if I have to make a CV or will a resume be fine? I ask because a lot of the categories for a CV I have nothing in such as presentations and publications.

I have a summer of research (not for academic credit), work experience (both leadership positions), volunteer experience, a conference for a volunteer position, typical awards like dean's list and 2 scholarships and an internship.

Advice please!!!!!

I don't know what you're asking for ... but I'd make a CV. I made both my Sophmore year in college and continually had to update my CV as people asked for it ... never touched my 'Resume' once. I'm pretty sure anything we'll be dealing with (admissions, residency, etc) would want a CV. Plus it's just a good thing to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get ideas for formatting and stuff from a specific website or book?

I guess I am not really understanding what the differences are? I just feel like my CV will be bare because a lot of the typically things that go on it I have no experience in. All the examples that I have found are very heavy on research, publications, and teaching experience (TA'ing) which is not where my activities would fit in.

Thanks!

Did you get ideas for formatting and stuff from a specific website or book?

I guess I am not really understanding what the differences are? I just feel like my CV will be bare because a lot of the typically things that go on it I have no experience in. All the examples that I have found are very heavy on research, publications, and teaching experience (TA'ing) which is not where my activities would fit in.

Thanks!

My CV has all those activities listed on it. I just googled it to get the format.

you can get cv ideas by looking at the sites of some prospective schools -- you'll esp. Find phd programs sometimes post their students' current cvs. Find a biomed phd prgm that does this & you may find some good templates to work off. My current cv is 4 pgs long and includes several research sections (e.g., experience, pubs & conferences, in-progress, skills, etc.), academic trng, other skills & certs, professional experience & teaching experiences

apumic you can get cv ideas by looking at the sites of some prospective schools -- you'll esp. Find phd programs sometimes post their students' current cvs. Find a biomed phd prgm that does this & you may find some good templates to work off. My current cv is 4 pgs long and includes several research sections (e.g., experience, pubs & conferences, in-progress, skills, etc.), academic trng, other skills & certs, professional experience & teaching experiences

I have done some research but most of them are sample CVs needing to be corrected or fixed. Do u have a really good template that I could borrow from? Thank you much much! :love:

I have done some research but most of them are sample CVs needing to be corrected or fixed. Do u have a really good template that I could borrow from? Thank you much much! :love:

Ditto, I was wondering if anyone has good examples. I have looked at some online, but still not really getting the gist of the real difference between a CV and resume. I guess the main difference is research, publications, and TAing. I really have not done much of these so it will pretty much be my resume.

Ditto, I was wondering if anyone has good examples. I have looked at some online, but still not really getting the gist of the real difference between a CV and resume. I guess the main difference is research, publications, and TAing. I really have not done much of these so it will pretty much be my resume.

Exactly!!! That is what I mean. I have seen plenty of CV's, I just feel like I will seem like a douche since I don't have most of that stuff.

I think the key is to realize you probably have done more than you realize. Have you worked on a research team at all? (You can list projects, responsibilities & PIs/advisors even if you didn't publish.) Do you have any work experience related to the sciences, clinical work, emergency response, etc.? Have you been certified in any related subjects (from EMT-B/I/P to Therapeutic Crisis Intervention to BLS or ACLS)? Have you ever TA'd? Do you have a BA/BS? Did you intern anywhere?

I agree with the above posters. If you're in academia you need a CV.

Plus, once you start to put it together it will help to highlight weaknesses you should work on.

I think the key is to realize you probably have done more than you realize. Have you worked on a research team at all? (You can list projects, responsibilities & PIs/advisors even if you didn't publish.) Do you have any work experience related to the sciences, clinical work, emergency response, etc.? Have you been certified in any related subjects (from EMT-B/I/P to Therapeutic Crisis Intervention to BLS or ACLS)? Have you ever TA'd? Do you have a BA/BS? Did you intern anywhere?

I'm doing research this summer, but not for publication. All of my work experience is in leadership positions (manager or lead) but not related to healthcare (one job for 3 yrs, other job for 5)--I have volunteer hours that are heavy with patient-contact. Never TA'ed b/c I had to work 30 hours a week all through school. I do have an intership. I have a BS, almost enough credit hours for 2 degrees.

My problem is that the things I have been involved in I did for long periods of time so I don't have a lot to list and I haven't done the 'typical' pre-med path.

Last edited:
What is a CV exactly? I always thought it was just a more detailed resume, can someone explain...